Recommendations for "chunky"-style meals?

treatmachine_69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have two kitties who get 25% wet and 75% dry in their diets. Since the recall situation I've researching what was in their food---just lucky that they weren't eating the recalled brands. But it was a wakeup call to improve my babies' diets (formerly Friskies canned and Nutro dry) and cut out these commercial brands which contain meat by-products and excessive fillers and get them on a food with more "natural" and fresher ingredients. Great luck with the dry food, they've switched from Nutro to Natural Balance and they love the taste
(I have two picky fellas!). Question is, does anyone know of a brand of "chunky" style canned food that's more natural or organic? These guys don't like pate-style meals (they formerly ate the Friskies "fillet" style dinners that contained the notorious wheat gluten).
I've tried Merrick's (rejected)
, Avoderm Chunky Chicken (rejected
), and Pet Gold Elite (they looooved the Tuna and Shrimp). Can anyone suggest another "chunky" style food from a natural or organic-based brand?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow mix the wet only
sheba tubs

solid gold tuna

these would be good choices..as they are shredded with jelly or sauce

wysong au jus is pate with jelly gravy ...

as for dry you went from good to good....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

treatmachine_69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the suggestions! I might try the Meow Mix but I'm trying to avoid wheat gluten which is hard to do b/c they love the gravy style meals and most of the chicken/gravy meals contain gluten...the search goes on...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all the Meow Mix has wheat gluten in it - My Ginger only eats the Tuna & Shrimp flavor, no by-products, no gluten in it.

treatmachine_69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Not all the Meow Mix has wheat gluten in it - My Ginger only eats the Tuna & Shrimp flavor, no by-products, no gluten in it.
Thanks, my cats are big seafood fans so they would probably like that. I got some of the MM premium cuts which is mostly chicken breast, we'll see how it goes over. Cheers.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that there is a new pouch food called "By Nature Organic" that might be a chunkier variety. In doing some research earlier, I also found that the Fromm foods seem to be a shredded consistency and might work for your kitty. I haven't tried either of them yet, but they might be worth looking into.

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/
http://www.frommfamily.com/

treatmachine_69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I've heard that there is a new pouch food called "By Nature Organic" that might be a chunkier variety. In doing some research earlier, I also found that the Fromm foods seem to be a shredded consistency and might work for your kitty. I haven't tried either of them yet, but they might be worth looking into.

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/
http://www.frommfamily.com/
The ByNature products sound really great...i think there's one retailer near me that carries their products. Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

treatmachine_69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the Sheba Premium Chunks didn't quite go over. I'm thinking that maybe I'll need to mix in some of their old food to "transition" them to the new stuff even though I'm anxious to get them off the Friskies (it's one of the ok brands as far as the recall but i don't care for all the additives and byproducts)...did this with their dry but didn't occur to me to mix their canned as well. They are such creatures of habit, maybe i tried to foist the new food on them too quickly. Anyway, thanks much to everyone who replied.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TreatMachine_69

Well, the Sheba Premium Chunks didn't quite go over. I'm thinking that maybe I'll need to mix in some of their old food to "transition" them to the new stuff even though I'm anxious to get them off the Friskies (it's one of the ok brands as far as the recall but i don't care for all the additives and byproducts)...did this with their dry but didn't occur to me to mix their canned as well. They are such creatures of habit, maybe i tried to foist the new food on them too quickly. Anyway, thanks much to everyone who replied.
I am in the same boat. Mine were eating nutro cuts in gravy which now has been recalled, and I am trying to find something they will eat. They eat solid gold tuna but for whatever reason the store that carried it stopped ordering it.
They did not like Sheba at all and refused to eat it.
They do eat meow mix but I am not that crazy about it, but I guess I will have to stick to eat for now unless I find something else.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TreatMachine_69

The ByNature products sound really great...i think there's one retailer near me that carries their products. Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.
My local Kroger carries the Organics By Nature stuff; if it's any help : )

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just found another food my finicky chunky food eater will eat...Wysong chicken stew. They also make a beef stew. He'll also eat Tiki food but I don't want to feed him too much fish.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard Wellness has pouches now, which should contain chunky stuff with gravy (I believe no wheat gluten, but double check) so you might try those. They are just not available yet where I shop, but I know others have had success with cats eating them.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I've heard Wellness has pouches now, which should contain chunky stuff with gravy (I believe no wheat gluten, but double check) so you might try those. They are just not available yet where I shop, but I know others have had success with cats eating them.
Wellness pouches are a hit in my house...they are chunky style. But they are a little pricey. I'm not sure about the gluten...

You can also try Merrick canned. Some styles are chunky like the Thanksgiving Dinner, but my babies sometimes like them and sometimes don't. Jeez!

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found another great chunky cat food that my finicky cat likes, Nature's Variety Homestyle Prairie. The only thing is I can't find a place online that sells it in bulk for a good price, anyone know of a place? I checked petfooddirrect, westcoastpetsupply, and onlynaturalpet....

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the "wysong archetype" is dry cold pressed and concentrated. the good thing about this stuff is that you can feed it dry or add water to it and basically make it whatever consistency you like...
this is really good stuff, pricey but goes a long way

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's expensive, and it seems like it would be a hassle to serve. Is there any benefit to serving this over canned?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

It's expensive, and it seems like it would be a hassle to serve. Is there any benefit to serving this over canned?
I didnt like the ingrediants but the dehydrated part means raw only a touch safer

www.wysong.net

Archetype™(Original)
Ingredients: Beef, Chicken, Beef Liver, Chicken Liver, Ground BoneWHO and HOW processed, Condensed Whey ProductMilk product ie high allergen,
Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols)Whose, Organic Mung Bean Sprouts, Organic Quinoa Sprouts,
Organic Millet Sprouts, Organic Blueberries, Organic Apples, Plums, Barley Grass, Wheat Grass,
this is supposed to be raw ??? hum no need for these in a raw type formula
Dried Kelp, Dried Seaweed Meal, Artichoke, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product,
Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product,
Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation
Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus
niger Fermentation Product
Great but why is so much needed if this is SUCH a great food ??? YES dry should have but RAW type ???, Rosemary Extract, Sage ExtractCan cause tummy issues, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc
Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely check out Merrick. That stuff's chunky chunky chunky with nice, gooey gravy. Sometimes the consistancy isn't, well, consistant, as one can will have the chunks and gravy, but the gravy is thick and gel-like, so it might as well be pate, and other cans will have the chunks and the gravy and the gravy as being nice and gooey. But it's definitely worth looking into, as the ingredients are top of the line.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Definitely check out Merrick. That stuff's chunky chunky chunky with nice, gooey gravy. Sometimes the consistancy isn't, well, consistant, as one can will have the chunks and gravy, but the gravy is thick and gel-like, so it might as well be pate, and other cans will have the chunks and the gravy and the gravy as being nice and gooey. But it's definitely worth looking into, as the ingredients are top of the line.
Yeah next on my list is Merrick's Turducken, from the picture on petfooddirrecct it looks nice and chunky. I tried Cowboy cookout, my boy didn't like it all that much, hopefully turducken will be different.