Vibes for Denebah!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night my roommate's cat, Denebah, was sleeping in his open window. The heavy wooden frame apparently came down on her paw and trapped it. We woke up to her screaming and hissing and peeing and trying to get away. She did pull it free before we could help her and ran downstairs.
When we examined her, she had a little bit of blood coming from her mouth and I think she may have bit her tongue a little because I couldn't find an open wound. As expected, she is limping and her poor little paw is swollen and tender. She cries a little when she tries to stand, but she did let me examine it and move her digits and move the paw around a little without distress.
We have an appointment for her at two and I just pray that it's not broken. My roommate doesn't have money to treat her, so I'll be loaning him the money, but coming just after Pippin's UTI, I don't have a lot either.
Please please send good vibes for her. She's a very tiny cat who just went through pyometra and emergency spay in January and she's precious to both of us. I hate to see her in obvious pain. She's not hiding at least, she's up on the couch trying to sleep and she had some wet food earlier this morning.
I know some vets recommend against pain meds because then the cat's nerves are dulled and they may further injure themselves, does anyone have insight on this? Is it better to get pain meds or not?

Thanks everyone!!

Devlyn

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

Last night my roommate's cat, Denebah, was sleeping in his open window. The heavy wooden frame apparently came down on her paw and trapped it. We woke up to her screaming and hissing and peeing and trying to get away. She did pull it free before we could help her and ran downstairs.
When we examined her, she had a little bit of blood coming from her mouth and I think she may have bit her tongue a little because I couldn't find an open wound. As expected, she is limping and her poor little paw is swollen and tender. She cries a little when she tries to stand, but she did let me examine it and move her digits and move the paw around a little without distress.
We have an appointment for her at two and I just pray that it's not broken. My roommate doesn't have money to treat her, so I'll be loaning him the money, but coming just after Pippin's UTI, I don't have a lot either.
Please please send good vibes for her. She's a very tiny cat who just went through pyometra and emergency spay in January and she's precious to both of us. I hate to see her in obvious pain. She's not hiding at least, she's up on the couch trying to sleep and she had some wet food earlier this morning.
I know some vets recommend against pain meds because then the cat's nerves are dulled and they may further injure themselves, does anyone have insight on this? Is it better to get pain meds or not?

Thanks everyone!!

Devlyn
My thoughts are with Denebah and you, and your roommate. I hope the appointment goes smoothly and she can get some relief.

Human pain meds can be deadly to a cat..so don't give her anything. The vet could prescribe a safer pain med for the cat @ your appt.

Give her a couple soothing scritches from me.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! She's already had a tough time of it with pyometra (glad you caught that - it's a deadly condition).

What happened to her sounds pretty painful, so I'm glad you're having the vet take a look (be sure to mention the blood from the mouth).

I would request pain meds for her. There's a fairly new one, Buprenex, that's quite effective. It's a very small amount of liquid that comes in little syringes that can be taken by mouth or put into food. Though in some cats it can possibly cause a bit of drowsiness, I was able to use it safely even for one of my (outdoor) feral cats. I've also used Buprenex for my indoor kitties - none had any adverse side effects from it - I never saw even a hint of drowsiness.

I'm assuming Denebah's an indoor-only kitty, so you shouldn't have to worry about any pain med dulling her senses. I strongly doubt she'll do anything to injure herself while on these meds. Pain takes a toll on a cat's body and the added stress can make her recovery time longer.

You're taking good care of this little girl - I hope she'll be fine. Lots of good thoughts headed her way
Please let us know how she's doing.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor little Denebah . . . she's been through so much. And her little paw sounds so painful.

I agree with what was said above . . . don't give her any human meds for pain.

Buprenex really is a great pain med. I've used it on a couple of my cats and while it made one of them sleepy, that's what he needed because he'd just had surgery. The other one it didn't affect in any way other than relieving her pain. And because it's in the little syringes, it's so easy to give!

It seems that in recent years, vets have finally started prescribing pain meds for cats and I think that's a good thing. When I think of all the years I've put my cats through surgeries, spays/neuters, tooth extractions, etc., without anything for their pain, I just cringe at how much they must have hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will definitely update after her appointment. She's resting relatively comfortably on the couch right now. I would never give her medicine that the doctor didn't prescribe or OK, I was just asking your thoughts on pain meds in general. I'm glad you mentioned it though!!
I only asked about the pain meds because when she was spayed, the vet told us he doesn't prescribe pain meds (even though I told my roomie to request them) because of the aformentioned reasons. I thought that was a little odd because I've heard of people giving their cats pain meds after a declaw in particular. We are going to a different vet today though, so he might have a different philosophy.
Thanks so much for the vibe. I can't even imagine how scared she was. When I woke up, it sounded like two of my cats were having a very violent fight. Hopefully she's just bruised and not broken!!

Devlyn

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope Denebah's appointment goes will with the vet later!!

I hope it is just bruised..I am sure that must of scared her.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww... this poor baby.. you and the kitty are in my thoughts, please update us after your vet appt.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the long delay!!
Denebah is doing well after her vet visit. The vet did not even take x-rays because he feels that she hasn't broken anything, or if she has, it must not be a bad break. While we were waiting for the vet, she started kneading on my roomie's arm with both paws! Definitely a relieving moment there since she has been favoring it so much!

The vet prescribed the anti-inflammatory metacam for her paw.
I told him about the bleeding from the mouth and that I thought she had bit her tongue. He checked and sure enough she had chewed it up pretty bad. He prescribed some Clindadrops for that to keep infection away and I asked for some pain meds which he gave us yay! It's Buprenorphine and he said it should give her a lot of relief. He couldn't believe that the other vet refused to give pain meds when she was spayed, but I guess that some vets are more interested in pain management than others.
Anyways, all this to say she is feeling much better. The swelling is down in her paw and she is hardly limping, probably because she's so dosed up. She's been purring up a storm and snuggling lots and lots. I think she feels grateful for the relief.

Thanks for all the great vibes everyone! They really worked.

Devlyn

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aww, poor baby!!!!!!! So happy she is better now. She may be traumatized after this event, keep a close eye on her.

My cat Desi (short for Destroyer) was playing on one of our cars the way he always did when my dad opened the car trunk to put some stuff inside. A few minutes later, he closed it and then the most terrible noise came out! My dad had closed the car trunk on my baby!!!!!!!
He was fine after a few hours but ever since then, he's been a very jumpy boy, very nervous and all. I can't be certain this event was the main cause of his current state, but it probably contributed to it.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! Your poor kitty!
I don't think we'll see Denebah in any of the windows in the near future, and she is a little jumpy when people walk towards her. I think because she's protective of her paw. We are giving her lots of love though and hopefully she won't have too many residuals.
Oh.. she's also gained some weight, which is a good thing. When she went in for her surgery in February, she weighed 6 lbs. Her infected uterus was 1 lb, so she was 5lbs.
Now since her spay she is up to over 8 lbs. I know it's a dramatic weight gain, but she was SO emaciated before and we couldn't get any weight on her. She ate all the time and was just skinny minny, so this is a good thing.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by Helga06

aww, poor baby!!!!!!! So happy she is better now. She may be traumatized after this event, keep a close eye on her.

My cat Desi (short for Destroyer) was playing on one of our cars the way he always did when my dad opened the car trunk to put some stuff inside. A few minutes later, he closed it and then the most terrible noise came out! My dad had closed the car trunk on my baby!!!!!!!
He was fine after a few hours but ever since then, he's been a very jumpy boy, very nervous and all. I can't be certain this event was the main cause of his current state, but it probably contributed to it.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

I just found this thread. I'm so glad Denebah is doing well after her scary experience. Hugs and scritches to her.
Me too, I'm glad she's feeling better.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad the kitty is ok. Just an FYI about the Metacam.... don't give her anymore then exactly what was prescribed, which was probably a very small amount. I was just prescribed this for my baby who is having urinary issues and this medication can sometimes affect the kidneys. Don't give for any longer then you absolutely have to. Just a heads up! Glad she is doing ok.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that I just found this thread but I am glad that Denabah is doing better and that she will be getting some pain control with the medication...
Fast healing vibes being sent your way..

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update to say that Denebah is back to her old self. She seems to have suffered no ill effects!
Thanks for everyone who sent vibes her way.

Devlyn