Cats on Kitchen Counters and Tables?

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who thinks this is ok?

I have never liked my cats up on the kitchen counters or tables. Cats can be very clean, but to think of feet that were just in the cat box may now be on my counters, yuck. I mean you won't put your dog on your counters would you? Now I'm not so stupid to think they might not get up there when I'm not home. But at least they are smart enought not to do it when I'm around. And I try to provide many other places for them to jump up.

Thought this could create an interesting discussion. Just looking for different view points.

Laurie

firebirdmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one that hops up there, but, not only do I keep my counters cleaned, I don't put food on them. I use a cutting board on all food prep. He go's from the counter to the top of the fridge, to dominate the world as they do..Mike, Medford, Ore

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pretty much given up. They have taken over the kitchen table, and as long as they don't get up onto the stove, I guess it's ok. I just wash off the counter/table before preparing food, if need be.

They know I don't want them on the counters, so I'm always walking into the kitchen to the sound of a big thump as kitty hits the floor and walks past me looking half guilty, saying, "What, me? I wasn't on top of anything. Sheesh!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love it when they think there smarter then we are. We know what there doing. L.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am bit embarassed to say this but my kitty goes anywhere and it doesn't bother me or my bf!!!!
Sometimes when I am preparing food kitty is sitting on the counter next to me watching!!! He's very interested in the culinery side of life!! He also likes to keep me company on the work top when I am washing up, fishing out the bubbles with his paw the bubbles always confuse him. Bless! He has a game going from one seat in the kitchen to another then on the table and then onto the kitchen counters!!!
When i stroke my kitty I don't wash my hands after and I kiss my kitty and i don't wash my face, so I can't see much difference. I do obviously clean the worktops a lot but i'm not too worried about it. I do have a clean house I'm just not bothered about paws anywhere. You prob all think I am gross now.
Hopefully I just have a better immune system, hehehe. I too am just careful about when he goes anywhere near the hot hob just in case he doesn't realise it's hot! My kitty never begs at the table or jumps on it when we are eating and I never give him human food so he doesn't beg for it. So when we have company its not like he is walking on peoples dinner plates and helping himself of pawing the food on the counters!! That wouldn't be good. He just likes to play second chef!!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll go ahead and fess up
...It doesn't bother me unless they are either in my way, or in danger of getting hurt. While I'm cooking, etc...I shoo them away because they are in my way more than anything. Ironically enough, they really don't have much interest in getting up there. You can see I have a few cats. LOL

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls know that they are not supposed to be on the counters.

That being said, Mollie jumps up onto the sink because she likes to sit in the kitchen window. Sophie sleeps on the counter that separates the kitchen/DR-
I have a skylight and she loves to sun bathe! I don't use this counter for food prep. (as if that would make a difference to her, anyway)

The funniest thing is that they both sleep on the DR table - and they KNOW thay aren't supposed to be there! When I come home, I can always hear two thumps, as they jump down before I come in the house.
Obviously, they don't realize that black cat hair on a pastel table cloth is a big giveaway!
Sometimes Sophie forgets that I am home and jumps up on the DR table - when I yell at her, she looks so surprised, like "how in the world did I end up here? Mom, look! I must have levitated!"

I love my girls!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine go pretty much where they want and it doesn't bother me. I find that not making a big issue of them going on the counters works best. Nothing's more attractive than a forbidden place. Jaffa doesnt bother much and Mosi is going up less often as there's not really anything interesting for him up there. I don't eat food directly off the counter surfaces and it's easy enough to wipe them down if I was going to put food on them.

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the few days I've had Java, he's completely enamoured with the kitchen and its counters. I'm alright with him on the counters and bar on the side with the sink, but it worries me to have him walk around the stove and the counter beside it. What if he were to jump up there right after I finished cooking and he burned himself?
Therefore, I'm taking action today! I bought some heavy cardboard and some tape. I'll cover the cardboard with tape and place it on top of the stove top and nearest counter. Hopefully, the stickiness will be distasteful enough for him to stop after a few weeks. I was looking into the Sticky Paws product, but I was skeptical that it would cover the entire area I needed. Plus, it's more expensive and it's not convenient to remove it if you needed to use the counter space yourself since you have to apply it directly on the surface. I'll let you know how it goes with my makeshift solution!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've given up as well. We got Reeses when she was about 14 or 15 months and we have a feeling she could do whatever she wanted at her old home, so she's not likely to listen to us. We let her get on the kitchen table because we almost never eat there. When we do, she'll hop up at first, but seems to stay down if we say no. It's not really an issue with us. She gets on countertops but we don't like her to be. Usually she'll hop up for a second and then when she knows we heard her, she gets down.

I agree that you wouldn't let you dog do these things, but these are cats we're talking about. They have their own set of rules whether we like it or not

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Java

For the few days I've had Java, he's completely enamoured with the kitchen and its counters. I'm alright with him on the counters and bar on the side with the sink, but it worries me to have him walk around the stove and the counter beside it. What if he were to jump up there right after I finished cooking and he burned himself?
Therefore, I'm taking action today! I bought some heavy cardboard and some tape. I'll cover the cardboard with tape and place it on top of the stove top and nearest counter. Hopefully, the stickiness will be distasteful enough for him to stop after a few weeks. I was looking into the Sticky Paws product, but I was skeptical that it would cover the entire area I needed. Plus, it's more expensive and it's not convenient to remove it if you needed to use the counter space yourself since you have to apply it directly on the surface. I'll let you know how it goes with my makeshift solution!
I know what you mean about the stove! I buy the burner covers and keep them on top of each burner - they are inexpensive, so I change them seasonally. You might try them as well.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm exactly the same way, so if your weird- then I'm weird too. Me and my boyfriend don't really care what PHX does, as long as he doesn't try eating food off of my plate while i'm eating. Cats are pretty clean so if I let him in my bed and on my lap then why not on my counter. He also puts his paws on my face... I don't really care- he's so darn cute
If I can put my hands on the counter- why can't he?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more. I don't want litter box paws where I put my food. I used to keep place mats on my kitchen table for decoration but gave up. Friday thought they made great cat beds. I still find him on the table from time to time but at least he's not napping!

http://howtoholdacat.blogspot.com

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

Who thinks this is ok?

I have never liked my cats up on the kitchen counters or tables. Cats can be very clean, but to think of feet that were just in the cat box may now be on my counters, yuck. I mean you won't put your dog on your counters would you? Now I'm not so stupid to think they might not get up there when I'm not home. But at least they are smart enought not to do it when I'm around. And I try to provide many other places for them to jump up.

Thought this could create an interesting discussion. Just looking for different view points.

Laurie
Ditto I feel the same way, no cats on my table, counters or bed. And they know not to jump up there when I'm home (however I do find stuff knocked off my table when I'm gone). Fortunately I don't have much counterspace and I'm not inclined to move any of my appliances because that is probably what keeps them off the counter. However my youngest Tara seems to have no problem laying on my bed when I'm not in the bedroom, I'll lock her in my bedroom to eat and come back and she laying on my bed looking at me like "what are you flipping out about". I have to throw a pillow at her to get her to move. I got so tired of seeing paw prints from the kitty litter on my bed that I keep the bedroom door closed if I'm not in it.

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I've pretty much given up. They have taken over the kitchen table, and as long as they don't get up onto the stove, I guess it's ok. I just wash off the counter/table before preparing food, if need be.

They know I don't want them on the counters, so I'm always walking into the kitchen to the sound of a big thump as kitty hits the floor and walks past me looking half guilty, saying, "What, me? I wasn't on top of anything. Sheesh!"
Hahahahahah, have to admit this is Humphrey too!!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am just in the habit of wiping everything with those wipes that kill all bugs, the latest ones even kill MRSA

They all know they all NOT allowed up in the kitchen area and get a stern NO and a clapping of hands, and man do they run
but, hey they party up there when we are out

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are really good about staying off the table.....unless you're Maggie and there's fresh baked lemon poppyseed muffins cooling there. They all stay off the cupboards too. Unless you're Cleo and your harness and leash is up there and you want to convince Meowmy to take you outside. Obviously, I'm deluding myself. Okay...at least they stay off the stovetop.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried the sticky tape, I'm not sure if it worked. Twinkle would get on the counters while we were away, (I would have loved to be a fly on the wall the first time she jumped up there and landed on that tape!) She doesn't get up there when I'm home, who knows what happens during the day. I even set my spray bottle up there, she would open the cupboards so it seems "the bottle" didn't bother her, especially since it was not near me!
I'm letting her have the counter jumping, now if she would just stop chewing my plants!! She doesn't eat them, just chews the leaves off.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez, I've given up, too! Possum doesn't really jump up on the counters, but Loki does. He likes watch the water when I turn it on, and likes to watch sometimes when I'm cooking. Fortunately, he doesn't go on the stove, and that's all I really care about. I'll just wipe off the counter.

Tricia

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I like to read the newspaper at the kitchen island. I have never met a cat that doesn't want to lay on your newspaper when you are reading it (mine is no exception). He does get on the island counter but I don't care so much because there is no cooktop there (there is a prep sink and he likes to drink out of the faucet there).

The embarassing part is when people are over and he decides to sprawl out on the counter. The look on their faces is priceless.

BTW, I am not at all worried about germs -- more grossed out by cat hair in my food.