Wellness canned is big $$$$

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty has been eating Meow Mix select (1/2 in the am, 1/2 in the pm). He scarfs it down. He seems to like the texture of the MM (shredded meat with gravy) the best. There are not many canned foods that are this texture -- they seem to be either "loaf style" or "chunks in gravy".

Anyhow, I am concerned that the MM is so fishy (even the poultry varieties). It also bugs me that container isn't even a full 3 oz and has a ton of sauce and not a lot of meat. So.... I tried a small can of Wellness yesterday -- seems like extremely high quality food.

Well, he ate it (1/3 of the small can) but he certainly didn't gobble it. I have a feeling after a few days he will turn his nose up at it. And... it was $0.88. Wow -- a lot of money for that dinky can.

Anyone know of a premium food that is a shredded style meat with gravy? Most often they don't put the texture of the food on the container at all.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I did, I have the same issue, my crew prefers the shredded consistency and ate the wellness for a day then decided they didn't like it
the closest I came in my trials was Merrick's, you might want to try that
only thing is its about the same price as Wellness

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's good that the MM has decent ingredients...but I have the same concerns as you. Coupled with the fact that by the time I opened enough pouches for my whole crew, I could have bought a tall can of premium food.

And see, that's where it actually saves per serving to have a bunch of cats. A tiny can of Wellness is about the same price here (79 cents)...but the huge 12.5oz can is $1.59, so at that rate it's cheaper per serving than Fancy feast. You just need more cats.

All kidding aside, I do understand your dilemma. Katiemae is right...Merrick's might be worth a try. It's not shredded but I would call it minced in sauce.

There's another one and I can't recall the brand name...because I haven't been able to find it. Maybe someone else can name that food that I'm forgetting.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shop around the pet stores. I can't remember how much I pay for my Wellness, but I found a place that does buy 3 cans, get a 4th free for premium brands, so I get the good food without feeling as though I spend a fortune.

My kitties love the Wellness. Actually, they're little piggies and will eat anything put in front of them... I have changed dry and wet brands a number of times, and I swear they never even notice!

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

Anyone know of a premium food that is a shredded style meat with gravy? Most often they don't put the texture of the food on the container at all.
Fromm Shredded Chicken
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-c-chicken.php

They have other nice juicy flavors like Tuna and Beef.

Extremely high quality, with human grade ingredients/mfg facility.

Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stand in the stores & shake every can of premium wet, every flavor, too. I may look like a moron, but you can hear if it's pate style or if there's gravy. Twitch & Lily like gravy with chunks or shredded, I found that I can get away with most any chunked/shreddes style food, just not pate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I stand in the stores & shake every can of premium wet, every flavor, too. I may look like a moron, but you can hear if it's pate style or if there's gravy. Twitch & Lily like gravy with chunks or shredded, I found that I can get away with most any chunked/shreddes style food, just not pate.
i am not the only one...weeeeeee fewwwwwwwwwwwwww

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree Fromm's is good and definitely has that texture, but it's on the pricey end. I bought some the other day only because my mom n' pop store was offering a 2-for-1 coupon. My kitty loved it, but it might not be for those on a budget.

With Merricks, I've only tried the Cowboy Cookout and Surf n Turf, and both seemed pate-ish to me. I've heard that the Grammy's Pot Pie is more "soupy."

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredient list for the Fromm's chicken..

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potato Starch, Tomato Paste, Vitamin Mineral Mix

I thought tomato wasn't good for cats?

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaS

I had heard that at one point too, but it is the green part of the tomato, not the ripe tomato itself that is toxic.
From the ASPCA:
The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects. However ripe tomatoes, the part of the plant typically used in food products, are not toxic. Therefore, we would not expect any poisoning-related issues with the tomato content of your cat food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaS

Ingredient list for the Fromm's chicken..

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potato Starch, Tomato Paste, Vitamin Mineral Mix

TECHIEGIRL answered

Originally Posted by techiegirl

I had heard that at one point too, but it is the green part of the tomato, not the ripe tomato itself that is toxic.
From the ASPCA:
The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects. However ripe tomatoes, the part of the plant typically used in food products, are not toxic. Therefore, we would not expect any poisoning-related issues with the tomato content of your cat food.
i will note many animals are intolerant of tomato