Addiction

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of your cats love drinking fresh, running water straight from the tap- I LOVED that thread of all the kitties in the sink! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120416 But it got me thinking, how LONG do your cats drink?

Evie is seriously ADDICTED to faucet water, it's kind of scary. She needs it every morning, afternoon, and night, and even in between times. And- this is the part that worries me- she will drink for literally 10-15 minutes STRAIGHT. And yes, we have multiple bowls out with fresh, clean water (not running though) that she can always drink from.

To make this post more visually appealing, here is Evie feeding the addiction (I was a bit late for the faucet thread...):

She will drink for so long that her tummy sloshes when she's done!

Is this healthy for her? Should I limit how long she can drink water straight without stopping? How long do your cats all drink when they have faucet water?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet about the possibility of diabetes - drinking too much is one of the first signs (as is eating a lot).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get her into the vet to get checked out just to make sure she doesn't have diabetes or other issues.

Also, have you considered getting her one of the fountains? There is one, Drinkwell I think, that has water trickling out just like a faucet. I bet she would love that!

Gorgeous kitty btw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your great advice. She has routine shots coming up anyway, so I will DEFINITELY ask about diabetes. Oh, I hope my baby-love is ok!!!

Originally Posted by PaulaS

I would definitely get her into the vet to get checked out just to make sure she doesn't have diabetes or other issues.

Also, have you considered getting her one of the fountains? There is one, Drinkwell I think, that has water trickling out just like a faucet. I bet she would love that!

Gorgeous kitty btw
I have thought about the fountain, I just wanted to see if you all thought it was healthy or normal for her to drink so much before I did that. Like I said, I have a vet visit coming up, so I will get a proffessional opinion soon, but I value your experience!!

And thanks! I think she's not half bad looking, too, but I may be a wee bit biased...

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, it may seem that they are drinking for a long time but you have to wonder how much they are actually getting. If you run the faucet just a trickle and stick your mouth under there -- I bet it will take a long time before your thirst is quenched.

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a water fountain for my cats so its always there when they want it, but they still like to get in the sink

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepsi is a constant water drinker, but from her bowls, I had her checked over for diabetes and she was clear
So it is wise to ask when you are at the vets and they can do all the necessary tests

Other than that, maybe she just likes water

p.s. she is a cutie-pie

ptnfl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone as far as having the Vet check for diabetes. I also wanted to let you know that we have the Drinkwell and all four of our furbabies love love love it. So do I as it cuts down on cleaning. 2 of my babies started enjoying to drink out of the faucet which is what prompted me to buy the fountain. Also, it's my understanding that it's healthier for them as it prompts them to want to drink more.

We are very pleased with the purchase. Good luck and I hope your baby is ok.