The Master's Command

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your wish is my command, oh great Evie! I know who my master is...

My question for you all is, when your "masters" give you a command, what method do they use? I understand many of you have multiple cats, and that some cats will probably use multiple methods based on what they want- I hope that will start some good posts!

I picked these 5 options based on what my catten (not quite kitten anymore, not yet a full cat
) does, and what I've read on here that some of your cats do.

My Evie gives me commands via excessive loving. She will purr SUPER instensely, and kneed like no tomorrow, and love nibbles, and head butts, the works!

This is my first poll, so I'm very excited! I hope this is as interesting a topic for you as it is for me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna will show me. When her litter needs to be scooped and she needs to go potty, she will sit in the hall and look at the bathroom and I know she is asking for her box to be scooped so she can go poo. When she wants to eat she's hovering around my feet and doing the kitty dance while looking up at me.

Abby uses a combination. When she wants to eat she gets extra lovey and keeps jumping up on me to get lots of cuddles. When I have accidently closed the cupboard door below the sink, she scratches at it and meows and looks at me until I go and open it and then she goes to investigate to see if Chynna is inside. When she wants praise and attention she will go and find her pair of rolled up socks and carry them into the room I'm in, meowing all the way, and then drop them close by. When she wants to play with the laser light she sits on one spot on the couch and looks at the wall. When she wants to play with one of her other toys she goes and lays next to the toy basket until I go and dig each one out until she finds one that suits her fancy.

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have voted in poll as Humphrey does a lot of talking!!

He talks I jump to his every command!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout talks alot when she wants to play...thats about the only time. She is not a big "talk when hungry" cat..Although she is free fed, so her bowl is never empty.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar only has one way of telling me that he wants something, but it doesn't tell me what he wants. He sits by my feet, jumps up and claws my knees over and over until I have tried all the possible options to find out what he wants - food, no. water, no. open the sitting room door, no. stand up and let him have the computer chair - bingo!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Radar only has one way of telling me that he wants something, but it doesn't tell me what he wants. He sits by my feet, jumps up and claws my knees over and over until I have tried all the possible options to find out what he wants - food, no. water, no. open the sitting room door, no. stand up and let him have the computer chair - bingo!
Cybele does the claw the knee thing

to be honest, mine never realyl tell me when they want anything, maybe cause they never do, their food bowls are always full, I replace their water twice a day, scoop the boxes once a day, their toys are all over the house, if they want petting they just jump in my lap-what else could they want?!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Rosie never shuts up until i give her what she wants, nuff said
I can't imagine sweet little Rosie being vocally demanding. LOL

Wickett is a lover/talker. He'll come give me headbutts and meows if he wants pet. If he wants to play he'll stare at the toy of his choice and meow until I play with him.

Frankie isn't very demanding really. She stares at me from the kitchen if she's hungry. If she wants pets she'll just invade your lap but that doesn't happen alot and she very rarely meows.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris extremely vocal and will tell me what he wants. I question him out loud, and when I get to the right thing he is asking/telling me about, he lets me know it by giving a sharper meow, then running off into whatever direction that thing happens to be in.

His very first example of this was his first successful attempt at communicating directly to me: He wanted me to clean the litterbox, told me so, and then I did, which got him extremely excited! He had learned how to make me do what he wanted me to!

Ginger, on the other hand, is very quiet, and uses telepathy combined with making eye contact. For example, last night I was watching TV and had lost track of time. Ferris was curled up at the foot of my bed. Ginger walked past me door into the kitchen, and I thought nothing of it.

About 10 minutes later, she came in my room, jumped up next to me, licked my finger, made eye contact, then jumped off immediately and went to sit just outside my door. I caught her drift right away and said, "Oh, time for me to feed you supper, then?" To which she scampered ahead of me and rolled on the floor in the kitchen, showing me her belly in pleasure that she had gotten her message across.

Gosh, I love those two.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I answered "excessive loving" for my Clyde, whose nosekisses are the stuff of legend. He knows I am but his devoted love slave...

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Harriet talks although really I'd call it yelling. She doesn't ask, she screams at you to do it and do it now and do it fast. She pins her ears and everything. Funny stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your great responses! It's so interesting to hear how everyone else's kitties behave. I admit, I'm surprised we have so many talkers, and fewer "show-ers" than I expected! Maybe because I have more dog experience, and mine have been very good at trying to, say, open the food with their eyes!

You all have a bunch of loves!

Originally Posted by Epona

Change "clawing" to "kneeding", and that's Evie! I wish she'd just show me so I didn't have to play that guessing game!

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

their food bowls are always full, I replace their water twice a day, scoop the boxes once a day, their toys are all over the house, if they want petting they just jump in my lap-what else could they want?!
You have very lucky kitties! Evie's biggest demand is for the sink water, but she'll also command I find her correct toy (she loses them in odd places quite frequently!), or get up when *she* wants in the morning, or to open the curtain to the window if I'm slow!

Originally Posted by GingersMom

He wanted me to clean the litterbox, told me so, and then I did, which got him extremely excited! He had learned how to make me do what he wanted me to!

Ginger, on the other hand, is very quiet, and uses telepathy combined with making eye contact...To which she scampered ahead of me and rolled on the floor in the kitchen, showing me her belly in pleasure that she had gotten her message across.

Gosh, I love those two.
What a good combination- direct command and ESP! And
for Ferris for teaching you so well!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I answered "excessive loving" for my Clyde, whose nosekisses are the stuff of legend. He knows I am but his devoted love slave...
How sweet! I bet he just melts you- how could you say no to nosekisses? What a good love slave!

Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Harriet talks although really I'd call it yelling. She doesn't ask, she screams at you to do it and do it now and do it fast. She pins her ears and everything. Funny stuff.
What a character! She's lucky she has you- I'm not sure I could keep Harriet happy!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo, I have to add one more thing about Ginger.

She does have ONE thing that she wants that she will get vocal and VERY specific about: catnip.

When she wants catnip, she will run to the cabinet I keep it in, and stand on her hind legs, simultaneously pawing up at the cabinet and giving a teensy-weensy mew while throwing glances at me to make sure I got the message.

After all, it is all about the nip.