Which Wet Food Is Best For Cat W/Stomach Probs?

shortstuff2309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there are a lot of different threads on here about cat food, but I am curious to see what others on here feed their cats in the way of wet food? My cat, Abby, has irritable bowel problems and the vet suggested that we give her a special type of food - I don't remember the name of it - but she said that it has great success with cats that have chronic stomach problems. The trouble with that is it's expensive and we have 5 cats to feed. So I didn't end up getting it. Right now we are feeding them Friskies, but my cat is still throwing up at least once a week. Other than that, she is doing much better than she was a few weeks ago after being on antibiotics for a little while, and I am also giving her a B12 shot once a week. She's been more active, wants to play again, and is back to the way she was before her stomach problems began, other than the random vomiting. I've been keeping track of when she throws up, and it is usually not too long after she eats the wet food, so I can't help but conclude that I need to switch to something different. I am hoping maybe I can get some ideas on here of what to try next. If it comes down to it, the cost of the food will have to just not matter if it will make Abby even better. But cost is an issue, especially with 5 cats. I've thought about just not feeding them the wet food anymore, but I'm not sure how that would work since they've always been fed that. They also have dry food which doesn't ever seem to bother Abby's stomach. So it's just the wet food that's the issue.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A simple one like sensible choice .... SOme do grain free and that may work... an easy one to find is natural balences venison and pea

For my IBD dog I found limited different meat sources and modest grain s worked...

ie she would get chn and beef in a can with rice

AVOID
corn
wheat
soy
any chn or meat by products
try to make sure if fish is present it is not the first four to six ingrediants

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this subject came up b/c I was coming in to ask the same thing. I knew that NB venison/pea might be good. My Persian stud just can't tolerate any kibble right now. He's totally on soft food right now b/c when he's on kibble he has no solid poo's. So I plan to try that for the boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shortstuff2309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

A simple one like sensible choice .... SOme do grain free and that may work... an easy one to find is natural balences venison and pea

For my IBD dog I found limited different meat sources and modest grain s worked...

ie she would get chn and beef in a can with rice

AVOID
corn
wheat
soy
any chn or meat by products
try to make sure if fish is present it is not the first four to six ingrediants
Thank you for the tip! I will go out today and get some of that to try. I see a lot of the ingredients that you listed to avoid in the food that I have been giving my cats! I had no idea about those, so thanks for that information too!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
California Natural makes several good foods with one meat and one grain or veggie. The meat choices are chicken (I feed this), venison, herring, and salmon. If you get the 13 oz cans it's pretty cheap per serving.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

California Natural makes several good foods with one meat and one grain or veggie. The meat choices are chicken (I feed this), venison, herring, and salmon. If you get the 13 oz cans it's pretty cheap per serving.
if you can find it

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the cat has IBD, I think you should try the food the vet prescribed, if only for a few months. You have five cats, but only one is sick, so you won't have to buy enough for all five. You might be able to figure out a way to feed the sick cat separately from the rest. For the wet food, it shouldn't be that hard... just feed them in two different rooms and wait until all have finished eating before letting them roam freely again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shortstuff2309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I ended up calling my vet to ask her what she thought, and she gave me a few brands to try, some of which you guys recommended. 2 out of the 3 my cat wouldn't even touch. The 3rd kind she ate, and then threw up a few hours later. The vet said it could be due to the food change and to keep trying. She's still throwing up any kind of canned food I give her. So I'm trying her on just a dry food diet because that doesn't ever seem to bother her stomach. But I've never given just dry food before, so I'm not sure how to go about this. Will she still get enough to eat that way? How much of it should she be eating? I don't really know where to begin with this. I know a lot of people just give their cats dry food, so I thought I would ask on here. Anytime I eat anything during the day, she's right there begging for me to give her some of my food! Which I don't, of course. But it worries me that she's begging for my food because she never used to do that. It makes me think she's not eating enough. And with 5 cats all eating the dry food during the day, it's hard to tell how much she's eating. She has lost weight - which is good because she had become very heavy - 16 lbs. She looks a healthy weight for her size now and is a lot more active. But I don't want her to keep losing weight and get too thin! So any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!