Official Hello!

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone!

First, I must express how grateful I am for the wonderful advice and comfort provided by White Cat Lover, Epona, Ross0268, Persi, Green Bunny, and especially - LDG on my first thread ever on this forum concerning the suspected hateful nature of my cat. Once I knew that his behavior is typical, I handled him with much more confidence and patience. Today, I've made -incredible- breakthroughs with Java. When I came home from work, I was just hoping that 1) he did his business in the litter box this time instead of the kitchen floor and 2) he wasn't cowering on the kitchen counter again. Well, he didn't do his business anywhere yet let alone the kitchen floor, but alas, he was still cowering on the kitchen counter. However! I found that my mail was knocked over from kitchen bar and that wireless router had fallen to the living room ground. That meant that Java was trying to explore anyhow! Thrilled to death, I walked over to Java to give him some well-deserved praise and petting. He got into it so much that he almost slipped off the counter! After a while, he jumped off the counter of his own accord!
Hallelujah! While I was showering him with love and attention, I slowly backed away towards the living room. Eventually, I was stroking him in the middle of the living room and he was ready to tentatively explore. He was so cute! He would go off investigating different areas of the room (even staring down some of my shoes) and then quickly run back to me for some reassurance before heading back out.
Eventually, I even saw that he regained his appetite in a very -big- way. (Though, he still turns away from my cat treats.) As I'm typing, he's sleeping contentedly on the living room floor. (He always like to keep me in view.) He still has some shy tendencies. I have to make sure I walk softly and slowly, otherwise he'll get spooked and hide in the kitchen again. But this is some remarkable progress for his 3rd day home! I'm still a little anxious to see if he'll do his business in the litter box, but I've heard him rummage around in there a few times already. That's encouraging, isn't it?

Now that I've introduced Java, I'll talk a little about myself, I suppose. However, I'm not -nearly- as interesting as my baby! I decided to adopt a cat after living alone for the first time for several months. I've always either lived with a significant other or a roommate, and I didn't realize how lonely I'd be. Especially since I recently graduated university and I'm not nearly as busy, I needed something to love so that I could look forward to going home instead of dreading returning to an empty apartment. I think Java and I have a promising future together on that regard.
As a former musician, I own a piano that my ex-boyfriend has been housing since I moved out. I'm already nervous how stressed Java will be when movers show up to deliver the upright piano, not to mention whether or not he'd appreciate my playing.
Well, I'm sorry to ramble on like I have been. I'm so excited to be a first time cat owner!

Oh! Below is a picture of Java and I the first day I saw her at the rescue center. It's a stunning picture of Java, not so much for myself! Of course, the one day I venture out without makeup, someone would feel the need to take my picture.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome to you and your beautiful kitty Java
sounds like you are having a very interesting time, but with some positive progress
It is a matter of time, cats just need routine and of course lots of loving which Java is obviously getting

Glad you dropped in to join us, there's lots of help and advise, its always great to know theres someone out there that can offer some support

Well enjoy the forums and keep us posted about sweet Java.............oooo and if you get time some more photos of the little fella
we love photos her

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was quite the official hello! May I now give you an official welcome! But not just any old official welcome but an Extra Special welcome because I see that you are from the great city of Plano, Texas and if you will look up in the upper right hand corner, you will see that so am I. There are now four of us that I know from Plano. Did you get Java from the Plano shelter on 15th? And do not worry about the piano being delivered, if Java is anything like Persi, he will want to play it like in the picture I include. Anyway, look forward to hearing from another Plano person on these forums!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay! Another Plano-ite! You know, I spent a few years teaching piano lessons, so I'll have to see if my little Java has any musical talent! Hehe. Actually, I drove all the way to Garland to get him from a rescue center there. I was interested in adopting a Bombay, because I love their sleek look and I've read their demeanor is generally very compatible with my personality and lifestyle. This shelter listed a family of Bombays I was hoping I'd fall in love with, but it was Java who stole my heart!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!

I'm glad you've received such wonderful advice, and that Java is coming around. I'm sure he will turn into the companion of your dreams once he gains his confidence.

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Java and Meowmy

to TheRescueSite and we think you're both gorgeous! THANK YOU for your love and patience with Java, who sounds as if she will definitely blossom under loving care. Patience and love are the keys! Hope the forums here give lots of good information you can use as you learn about your beautiful companion, and hope you love it here at TheCatSite as much as we do!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWW you are both lovely! Music is actually a balm for many animals so dont be surprised if Java is right up there with you, playing and singing along. As for the movers, maybe have Java in a different room so the movers don't upset him too much? He may just take it all in stride by then.

I used to always live with a roommate or SO, too and I can tell ya, cats are a 100% improvement! So glad things are working out for you both

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site !
Java is very pretty and what a great story! It sounds as if she found her forever home!
I wonder how long it will be before she starts walking across the keys? I have one cat that comes running into the room every time I play and falls asleep under the bench. She really seems to love the music.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Welcome to the site !
Java is very pretty and what a great story! It sounds as if she found her forever home!
I wonder how long it will be before she starts walking across the keys? .

Also

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to welcome you and your lovely Java to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

Java sounds to be a very lucky kitty to have found such a loving home. It sounds like you two are going to get along just fine

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello
and welcome to the forum!

Java is beautiful!!