Deaf Cats

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, my daughter thinks I am insane because I am going to teach Clyde sign language. I don't really see any difference than in regular communication, and I've read recently that cats are actually more in tune with body language than words anyway. I don't know "real" sign language, but I've made up a sign for each of the 4 other cats and Clyde and make it when the cat comes by, plus saying it out loud.

I don't know has anyone ever heard of this, LOL?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BuzbyJCL, I believe, got me into teaching Ophelia sign language. Both Ophelia & Twitch know a little sign language, but I also made up my own. I find it helpul, but mostly stomp out things ont he floor in morse code.

If you're nuts, then so am I!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

BuzbyJCL, I believe, got me into teaching Ophelia sign language. Both Ophelia & Twitch know a little sign language, but I also made up my own. I find it helpul, but mostly stomp out things ont he floor in morse code.

If you're nuts, then so am I!
I knew you'd see this, LOL. Just don't tell my co-workers! Right now I stomp twice on the floor to get his attention. It seems to be working. Speaking of Morse Code, my daughter's computer was getting all messed up and it went beep...beep, beep, beep...beep...beep, beep, beep... I told her it was Morse code for "T-O-" and it wanted to be turned off. She was freaked out.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one who has a deaf cat here.

I sign to Kahu all the time - American Sign Language, that is. He knows the sign for food, hungry, bedtime, I love you. Cats are much more smarter than they look.

When I sign food or hungry to Kahu, he will go to his wet food bowl. If I sign bedtime, he will come to bed with us - its SO cute! If I sign I love you, he rubs up against us. He also knows the basic come here sign as well.

I think I will go and cuddle him now LOL!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend is on her second deaf cat (first one crossed when he was about 16, current one just turned 3). Her first knew sign language very well and her current one is struggling with it, but still knows some. She does a lot of floor stomping, but also hand signs.

You are very normal.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My friend is on her second deaf cat (first one crossed when he was about 16, current one just turned 3). Her first knew sign language very well and her current one is struggling with it, but still knows some. She does a lot of floor stomping, but also hand signs.

You are very normal.
Oh - those are both such cute stories! And here I thought I had something new! But I don't know ASL, so I guess I'll have to get someone to teach me.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh - those are both such cute stories! And here I thought I had something new! But I don't know ASL, so I guess I'll have to get someone to teach me.
She doesn't use ASL, but signs that work for her and her cats. An index waggled side to side means "NO". Fingers on her lips mean food time (I think that might actually be ASL). Tapping her chest means come for loving. Very basic, but also over exaggerated so he can see it and pick up on it. I know she uses more but I don't know exactly what she does (lives 600 miles away so I don't get to witness it very often).

I fostered her second baby for a week before she drove out to pick him up. In that time she explained how to say "no" in sign language so I started to teach it to him. He picked it up after about half a dozen tries. The trick is getting them to look at you.

rushrulz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know someone with a deaf dog (not quite the same thing). I know he waves at him to get his attention, but I'm not sure what else. Gestures, slapping his hand against his leg...meh, you gotta do what you gotta do. Of course, I'd think it's more important with dogs than with cats, what with all the shenanigans and goings-on (particularly with JRTs, as in his case).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one deaf rex kitten that I taught a few "signs" to. But mainly to get the cat's attention you would stomp on the floor for the kitten to hear the vibrations

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love these stories! I stomp on the floor twice to get his attention, and he's starting to understand that. All the other cats and dogs have signs for their names, so we're starting with that. Clyde's sign is the sign for "beautiful"