using balance when choosing cat food

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey all, since the cat food recall, (yes, I know it was dog food too), I've been giving a lot of thought to quality dry cat food. Like most of you, I am obsessed with making sure my kitties have everything they need to live long, healthy lives.
However, while eating lunch today, I realized that we humans ingest a lot of "filler" with our meals. For example, chips with a sandwich, fries with a burger, white flour, sugar, food coloring, soda pop...get my drift?
I have decided to go "middle of the road" with my choice of dry cat food. I have yet to find one, even the expensive brands, that don't have chicken "meal" or some kind of "meal" in them ingredient list somewhere.
I think middle of the road will work out real nice. What do you all think?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meal is a good thing as long as it is not preceeded by byproduct

See chn meal is chn minus the fat and water ... 5lbs of fresh yeilds one of meal ...

I dont use foods with

chn or any kinda meat by product or by product meal

any artificial colors ( ie red 40 blue 2 )

I avoid foods with more than one of these
corn ( corn gluten is okay in my book provided something like chn meal is before it )
wheat and its cousins barley and rye
soy
any dry food with fish or fish meal as the main protein

foods that fit this and are mid priced

nutro natural choice

chicken soup

felidea the chn and rice

solid gold

natural balence

slightly $$$

Royal canin

Innova

Natures prarie

Wellness

this is not a complete list but should get ya some ideas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks to you Sharky for the "middle of the road" food ideas.
I was talking to my husband and he pointed out that when the cats catch a mouse or bird, they aren't discriminate about what part they eat or don't eat...just food for thought...ha! pun!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueheart

I was talking to my husband and he pointed out that when the cats catch a mouse or bird, they aren't discriminate about what part they eat or don't eat...just food for thought...ha! pun!!!
Well I am not that old 29 ... but all my dogs and cats would eat the liver kidneys maybe heart but none at the feet heads
they were well feed but this is what I obeserved

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is a valid thought and I've seen it come up recently. My thoughts on this are that the "by products" in a real mouse or bird comprise what, maybe 10% of the meal (excluding what they might leave like feathers and stuff that Sharky noted)...yet when you see a label beginning with "meat by products", then that meal might easily be 50% feet, heads, etc...not the same proportion as real prey. I like for the food to be closer in proportion to the prey...guts may be OK, but lets not make a meal of them
I hope that makes sense. Words escape me after midnight.

Originally Posted by sharky

Well I am not that old 29 ... but all my dogs and cats would eat the liver kidneys maybe heart but none at the feet heads
they were well feed but this is what I obeserved
Yeah, I find a lot of bird heads on my back porch. How pleasant.
Momma likes the whole mouse, minus everything between the ears and front feet.
I can get more graphic but that's probably enough

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

This is a valid thought and I've seen it come up recently. My thoughts on this are that the "by products" in a real mouse or bird comprise what, maybe 10% of the meal (excluding what they might leave like feathers and stuff that Sharky noted)...yet when you see a label beginning with "meat by products", then that meal might easily be 50% feet, heads, etc...not the same proportion as real prey. I like for the food to be closer in proportion to the prey...guts may be OK, but lets not make a meal of them
I hope that makes sense. Words escape me after midnight.

you crack me up! I agree, let's not make a meal of guts.

Yeah, I find a lot of bird heads on my back porch. How pleasant.
Momma likes the whole mouse, minus everything between the ears and front feet.
I can get more graphic but that's probably enough
I got tickled at both of your responses, between giggling and saying "ewwww", but points well taken. Currently feeding Purina One, just because I can get it local. I live in a rural area, southern states carries Little Red, and I don't want that brand. I have to drive 50 minutes one way to get a better food. What are your thoughts on the Purina One?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One is decent for a grocery .... do you have a wal mart ??? there maxxium is a step up from one

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I got tickled at both of your responses, between giggling and saying "ewwww", but points well taken. Currently feeding Purina One, just because I can get it local. I live in a rural area, southern states carries Little Red, and I don't want that brand. I have to drive 50 minutes one way to get a better food. What are your thoughts on the Purina One?
I'm glad the slight humor got across as intended.

Are there any feed stores in the area? That's where I get most of my preferred stuff. I'm in the opposite situation as you...I'm in a decent sized city, but have to leave town to get to the small store that I like...go figure.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the sample of dry from Chicken soup, mixed it with the dry today and the cats loved it.
I have one more petstore to call, and if they don't have it I'll have to order it. Even the closest Petsmart doesn't carry it.

arghhh

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

One is decent for a grocery .... do you have a wal mart ??? there maxxium is a step up from one
I had no ideal that the maxximum is a step up from the PUrina one.
I do have a Walmart about 20 minutes away. we used to have an awesome little pet shop in the strip by it, but they closed down.