This is sad ....

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw this on the news last night. There is something strange about this, particularly the statement about them being fine once they get adopted. I understand that cats are most at risk to FIP in that type of situation, but to euthanize an entire shelter full of cats strikes me as odd. According to what I have read, the risk of contracting FIP from infected animals is minor. I don't get what's going on here. Are they saying FIP was rampant in the shelter and killed 80 cats?

Yes, it's very sad as the animals all appeared the picture of health. I don't know what to think about this.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, one concern around here (I'm in Portland, and I volunteer at a county shelter here) is that only a few months back, thar shelter had to do the EXACT same thing because of a different disease... can't remember what it is, though.

Honestly, I think someone needs to watch these guys... this is the second time within months they've had to put a whole shelter of cats down due to disease... something is very wrong there... VERY wrong... they aren't cleaning properly or something...

at MCAS, we monitor health. if a cat so much as SNEEZES, we write it on the log and the vets check the cat out. Period.

Someone there isn't quite doing their job, or this wouldn't keep happening.

A. (Peeved in Portland)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Also, one concern around here (I'm in Portland, and I volunteer at a county shelter here) is that only a few months back, thar shelter had to do the EXACT same thing because of a different disease... can't remember what it is, though.

Honestly, I think someone needs to watch these guys... this is the second time within months they've had to put a whole shelter of cats down due to disease... something is very wrong there... VERY wrong... they aren't cleaning properly or something...

at MCAS, we monitor health. if a cat so much as SNEEZES, we write it on the log and the vets check the cat out. Period.

Someone there isn't quite doing their job, or this wouldn't keep happening.

A. (Peeved in Portland)
I agree. When I saw this, I wondered how it could happen. I have never heard of something like this at OHS or MCAS or CAT or any others. True, I am not up on happenings at local shelters. I can understand an illness popping up, but one that effects ALL? Seems weird. I really feel for them. I wasn't aware it had happened at the same place recently. Why isn't the media checking into that coincidence?

I was thinking of going out to MCAS to adopt a cat
Is good to hear from someone who works there about the health of the cats.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I agree. When I saw this, I wondered how it could happen. I have never heard of something like this at OHS or MCAS or CAT or any others. True, I am not up on happenings at local shelters. I can understand an illness popping up, but one that effects ALL? Seems weird. I really feel for them. I wasn't aware it had happened at the same place recently. Why isn't the media checking into that coincidence?

I was thinking of going out to MCAS to adopt a cat
Is good to hear from someone who works there about the health of the cats.
It just really bugs me that this has happened TWICE... I really have to wonder...

As for MCAS... come on out... we actually had more cats this week, and it'll only get more crowded... last week we had a whopping 6 cats in the Cattery... seriously. today we had about 15 to 20 maybe more... there's a big ole lovebug named Gus out there... oh holy cow, he would ram the door if you brought food anywhere near him (he wants attention mostly, but he certainly loves his treats and wet food). He's 2.

And then there's my little escape artist, named iPod, but I was calling him Houdini today... he kept getting out as I was giving him TLC and cleaning his cage... sheesh! predatory instinct high with him... he crouched inside the floor-level hole of the 'cat tree' (literally, a carved trunk of a tree... massive bugger, but we can't let them play in it because we have no way of getting them out). I threw a film canister of beans across his line of sight and he zoomed after it. he's also a real lover... but very active.

You should go out there some time... the faces in our cattery are ever-changing. we had a few grays out today...

I just wish Columbia would get off their collective behinds and do better...

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you think they're trying to tug at heartstrings to up their adoption rate? Feel its time to clean house?

From the article it sounds like they think they cats will develop FIP if they continue to house them, but they'll be fine once you adopt them. That is just the strangest thing I've ever heard.

And if they already have FIP, well...they're not going to be fine no matter what.

Should we do anything?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That whole thing sounds fishy to me. It sounds like they have a corona virus spreading, and that can lead to FIP, but from what I understand FIP is actually kind of rare and the cats have to have the genetic disposition to it. Unless every cat they have is related and susceptible I can't see how they can all have FIP---and as someone already mentioned, if they have FIP, there's no real helping them anyway.

Sounds like they have serious hygene problems and someone in charge thinks mass extermination is the way to cure it.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I felt the need to send an email and mention my concerns about the information presented. Curiously the link to them on the channel 6 story is not working, nor is the one to their website when you google. Neither has been since last night.

So they ask for adoptions and then give people no way to contact them. Possibly they got more contact than they bargained for and it wasn't the kind they expected.