ACK! Black Widow!!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found a black widow in my kitchen..mostly dead...

We got rid of it but i am freaked out..are there more??

I am so freaked out. I'm used to brown recluses and stuff but not black widows!!

Oh my gosh!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes!!! Thats kinda scary! I am used to brown recluse and wolf spiders.

DH sees black widows at work though.

*shivers*

Icky....

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have those up here. I used to be fascinated(sp) by them when I was younger, but I wouldn't want to have to mess with one of those....Eek!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Widow spiders are sort of territorial, so there's not likely another around. Maybe it's time for some spring cleaning?
Vacuum around anything that can be used as dark hiding spot.

Unless a person is allergic, black widow bites usually aren't deadly. Just very painful.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I literally have arachnophobia! I can't stand the sight much less have them any where near me. If they even get close I start screaming and have a panic attack. I can't even look at pictures of them. Don't even ask me if I have seen the movie arachnophobia!! I don't think I'd be able to identify either of those two spiders and I know I should. Brown recluse are so deadly and the infections they cause are devastating. YUCK!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I. Love. Ohio.

I have been scared of black widows and scorpions my whole life and never lived anywhere with them. I can deal with poisonous snakes a foot away from me, but something about spiders just makes me all itchy. Specially deadly ones, specially round the cats since they'll try and eat them

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders don't bother me too much and we have quite a few out here, but yeah black widows can be pretty scarey. The hubby found one under a patio chair last year. Freaked us out cuz we always sit out there...on those chairs! Eeek! I always heard brown recluses are supposed to be pretty dangerous as well...how come you guys aren't bothered by them?

I remember reading somewhere that on the average, a person swallows 8 spiders a year...in their sleep I'm guessing (duh). I thought that sounded unreal and pretty dumb...8 spiders...no way.

Hilda>^..^<

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have anything to worry about. Black widows usually prefer solitude. In fact, after mating the female has been know to eat the male if she can catch him. They only bite if they feel confined. If they get trapped in your clothes for example they will probably bite you but other than that you aren't in any danger. You could even put them on a table and start batting them around like a cat might do and they will just try to run away and not bite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i have calmed down but still a little freaked.

I read they are not as bad as you would think but still..a spider is a spider and I am a huge arachnaphobe. I freeze. This one was mostly dead and I think that's why we saw it. I'm going to make sure I watch the cats and make sure none of them start throwing up or anything since I found it near their food bowls.

I thought i had seen something black run in between cracks but I thought I was seeing things.

I usually cover bugs with a glass and let hubby dispose of them

Ps: thanks tigeronaprowl. I've only gotten bit once by an unknown spider and it turned red, blue and then black/purple at which point I went to the dr and got hefty antibiotics. Not sure what kind but I know it wasn't a recluse or anything. I think after reading about the black widow I'd choose black widow over a brown recluse

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i hate spiders we had black widows down in south ga.id see em from time to times they always freaked me out

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I wouldn't be able to sleep! I am SO glad I live up north!!!
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I. Love. Ohio.

I have been scared of black widows and scorpions my whole life and never lived anywhere with them. I can deal with poisonous snakes a foot away from me, but something about spiders just makes me all itchy. Specially deadly ones, specially round the cats since they'll try and eat them
You do know that ohio has them also?

Currently, there are three recognized species of black widow found in North America: The southern black widow (L. mactans), the northern black widow (L. variolus), and the western black widow

so being in ohio does not help

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

Ps: thanks tigeronaprowl. I've only gotten bit once by an unknown spider and it turned red, blue and then black/purple at which point I went to the dr and got hefty antibiotics. Not sure what kind but I know it wasn't a recluse or anything. I think after reading about the black widow I'd choose black widow over a brown recluse
No problem. And you could call me Justin or J.R. (my initials). It's a lot shorter than my user name.

Next time you get bit by a spider and the wound starts to turn blue, go to the doctor immediately. That is some serious tissue damage. You're lucky you caught it in time. My guess is that you were probably bitten by a male mouse spider. They are venomous but usually not aggressive.