been a while... update on the cat situation

carriedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, It's been a while since I've stopped by. Things haven't changed with the cats. I still have my 3 girls in the bedroom. The resident cat still hasn't accepted their presence and doesn't seem to care unless my cats step out of the bedroom. I've been studying the old cat and I have the feeling that the old cat has diabetes and I don't know what to do about that. She's so old and I can't afford to take care of her. I feel really bad, but she's not my cat and I don't feel it's my place to up and take the cat to the vet. Not to mention pay for anything that she needs. Honestly, I wonder if the vet would suggest putting the cat down and that is definitely not my decision. I've tried every suggestion with introducing the cats that I've read. The feliway diffuser, the feliway spray, a screen door, mixing sents, crating one of my cat in the middle of the room. Nothing seems to work. She's still aggressive. One of my cats snuck out of the bedroom last week. The old cat ended up chasing her down and brawling with her. Somebody peed themselves but, thank god nobody got hurt. I've also noticed that since I've stopped trying to get them to get along, the old cat's issue with the occasional inappropriate urinating has stopped. I've kind of given up on the whole thing.
I just feel bad that the old cat may be sick and that my girls are stuck in a small bedroom.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carriedee

She's so old and I can't afford to take care of her. I feel really bad, but she's not my cat and I don't feel it's my place to up and take the cat to the vet. Not to mention pay for anything that she needs.
Whose cat is she then?

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you live with your bf and his father? Because if the father lives somewhere else, it would probably be best for everyone if that cat went to go live with him!

Have you considered swapping the cats? Try putting the older cat in the bedroom and letting your 3 out. It makes more sense considering there are so many more of them... And the older one may be calmer in a small safe room that the others won't be entering.

Don't give up!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carriedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Yea, we were switching the cats for a couple hours everyday. The last 3 times that we did it, his father's cat urinated on a rug, on the bed, and started tearing at the screen and door. It seems like she hates barriers. I haven't really given up, I'm just a little discouraged. Oh and yea, we live with his father. Now that it's nicer out, I'm hoping the old cat will want to go outside more (she's an outdoor cat). Hopefully I can let my girls out for a few hours a day.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So let me see if I get this right.....

you have 3 cats
you live at your BF's fathers house
BF's father has one old cat
you think BF's fathers cat is ill - what is this cats name, just to help

you are having difficulty getting your 3 cats to get on with your BF's fathers cat and feel like you have run out of options

have you discussed the possible illness of BF's fathers cat with BF's father - the owner of the cat?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long are you planning on living with your bf and his father? IMO I'd do whatever it takes to MOVE OUT into your own place and take your cats with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carriedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My own place is the plan. I'm here to catch up on bills that piled up (and it's a lot
). I've recently switched careers so I'm not making what I was making before. I'm hoping to be able catch up on what I owe and by the end of the year buy a house of my own. They're helping me out by letting me stay here to try to get ahead. The 3 cats are mine (Kittie (7), Lillith (8), and Minus (7) ). Pumpkin (15+) is the old cat. I've mentioned to my bf that I think the cat is sick. I feel awkward pushing that issue.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carriedee

I've mentioned to my bf that I think the cat is sick. I feel awkward pushing that issue.
and how did the conversation go ? I am sorry to ask, but Pumpkin is really the responsibility of your BF's father and he may not be aware of the situation
and if Pumpkin is sick then that might be why you are having problems with them all not getting on ?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And on top of it you're thinking of letting the old, sick cat outdoors (and she's not even yours to make that decision)? Whatever happens though, please, please do not start letting out the babies, not one time, because once you do you'll have a terrible time ever getting them to want to stay indoors afterward, and apart from all the dangers out there, and trying to keep track of which is out and which are in, you'll be moving at some point and they'll be far more discombobulated by that if they're outdoors half the time now than they will if they stay inside til them.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would non-chelantly (sp) tell the BF father 'hey, did you know I think your cat may be sick?'

While this is a convienent situatation - staying with them while you get ahead. . .what is your bf doing to help out? i mean you are speaking of getting a place at the end of the year - but are you going to live with your bf? perhaps you could do it earlier if he helped out.

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would tell them that you think Pumpkin is ill and what you suspect she has. I am sure they will be great full, I know I would be.