Scratching the walls.

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read up an on all the things to do with a cat that scratches chairs furnishings etc but none of it seem to aply to the problem i have.
My youngest cat who is 7 months old has been scratching the walls, not just using it as a scrating post but jumping up sliding back down the wall taking chunks of wallpaper with him, we've had to re-paper the wall once already and now he's dont it again. its kind of difficult to cover the wall with all those things suggested as its such a wide space of which he does it in. We have tried the sprays but they dont work, we use a water spray, which seems to work when we catch him BEFORE he gets to do it but oftern he does in inthe night while we are sleeping. its starting to really get us down when the living room wall looks a mess

Any suggestions would be well appreciated

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try painting instead of using wallpaper? Or putting a bookcase against that wall?

Cats are pretty discriminating. It may be that he doesn't like the pattern.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him a cat tree, or at least a good scratching post. Cats have to scratch to get rid of their nail coverings and sharpen their claws, and if there's nowhere appropriate to do it, they'll use whatever they find.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he likes the way it feels when it rips?
All you can do is change the texture, as suggested, or block it off.

Could adding a big cat tree help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well last night smothered his scratching post in cat nip which kept him away for a while.
We rent the house and its a very old house so the walls need to be wall papered unfortunatly

The wall is on a corner but yes maybe putting some thing tall agains one side would help, thanks you

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't exactly great for the interior design of the place, but you could put up some board covered in sticky tape or hairspray to make it a less attractive surface without harming the wall.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have youapplied Soft Paws to your cat's claws? That would solve the problem right there because he could no longer physically scratch anything.

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
than kyou all for your new idea, they have really helped me out, im not to keen onthose claw thingys i think they would drive him mad (al ltough he is driving me mad lol)

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's playing more that actually satisfying a need to scratch. One of mine does that too but he doesn't use his claws. He thinks the wall is a slide! The claw caps work but once one got stuck on my cat's paw and the vet had to cut it off. He limped for a couple of days. I'll never use them again.

I'd try finding a toy where he can repeat the actions like someone else suggest a cat tree. I suspect he's more interested in dangling from heights than sharpening his claws.

http://howtoholdacat.blogspot.com

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be something in the pattern of the wallpaper. Smoochie used to chase the small white dots on the dark red hallway to upstairs, and slide down the wall, making the tiny white spots into long, gaping holes
. I spent the last 10 mins before we left on vacation (of course, this is when I caught her
) mixing dark red paint from my artist's acrylic paint, and painting every white spot I could find!
(now
)

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

It sounds like he's playing more that actually satisfying a need to scratch. One of mine does that too but he doesn't use his claws. He thinks the wall is a slide! The claw caps work but once one got stuck on my cat's paw and the vet had to cut it off. He limped for a couple of days. I'll never use them again.

I'd try finding a toy where he can repeat the actions like someone else suggest a cat tree. I suspect he's more interested in dangling from heights than sharpening his claws.

http://howtoholdacat.blogspot.com
YES exactly, he does it and then goes into this mad hype running around all over the place

catsallover thats how this all started with alfie just making little white holes every where