How do I clean a painted wall??? Any ideas?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i would like to get some spring cleaning done now that i'm feeling better but i'm stumped as to how i should go about cleaning our painted walls. The walls in our guest bathroom are a gross aqua/green color (i can't WAIT to repaint it!) But in the mean time i would like to clean the wall without stripping the paint. What should i use on it? I tried just water on a cloth but that didn't work
Any wall-safe sugestions? Thanks guys!!!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest Mr.Clean Magic Erasers. They work like a charm on all the messes my son makes anywhere, including the walls. I LOVE them!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom uses LOC or Mr. Clean.
My old boss suggested Scrubbing Bubbles & it's pretty good too.
Have fun! It's the most dreaded cleaning job there is. Don't forget the baseboards. LMAO.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use hot water and Mr Clean and wash the walls down with a sponge. if I have a spot that won't come off I put a little Comet on the sponge and scrub the area gently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! Great ideas! Thankyou everyone. I'm feeling better today so when i go to the store tonight i will pick up some supplies to clean the walls!
Also- those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers- are those safe to use on a painted wall (it's this aqua green color) Colin would be ticked if i bleached the wall
Are those safe to use in that way?

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used them on painted walls without any problems.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mr. Clean erasers don't have bleach in it so you should be fine. Are the walls painted with high gloss paint? If so you won't have any problem with cleaning them.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This really depends on the type of paint on your walls. Enamel paint for instance, can easily be cleaned with just about any kind of cleaner without worrying about removing the paint. People normally use enamel paint on such things as doors and mouldings.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

I would suggest Mr.Clean Magic Erasers. They work like a charm on all the messes my son makes anywhere, including the walls. I LOVE them!

That has to be one of THE best cleaning products ever invented!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

I have used them on painted walls without any problems.
Wonderful!!!!! I will be using that then as we already have several at the house now!
That'll save me a trip to the store

Originally Posted by snosrap5

Mr. Clean erasers don't have bleach in it so you should be fine. Are the walls painted with high gloss paint? If so you won't have any problem with cleaning them.
That is good to know! I wasn't sure if they did or not. We used them at the nusrery i used to work at to clean counters and stuff like that (but never used them on the walls) so i know they work good for that, just wasn't sure about walls!
Thanks for clearing that up. / I'm not sure about the paint on the walls now- i don't think they're high gloss- at least not in the bathroom. I plan to redo the guest bath when i get some time.
/ I want to paint the walls a gorgeous wine colored shade of red and have a black/white shower curtain (one of the dmask "sp"?? patterns ) and matching towels. I think i can completly redo the bathroom for under $100 if i save up and shop around

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The erasers did take some paint off in the apartment. I think it's flat, cheap paint.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

The erasers did take some paint off in the apartment. I think it's flat, cheap paint.
Oh really? humm that's not good. Was it white paint? I think i'll test it on a spot that can't be seen well before i do the whole wall with it

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I just use hot water and Mr Clean and wash the walls down with a sponge. if I have a spot that won't come off I put a little Comet on the sponge and scrub the area gently.
Thats what I use too. Last time I tried Mr Clean Magic Erasers, I took the paint off the wall. I would suggest trying a small spot before going to the whole wall.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do ya'll think Lysol Antibacterial cleaner (it's the yellow one) would work well if the erasers don't? That's my back up plan.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do alot of painting and I either use Soilax or a TSP-PF (this is not a brand name but rather the active ingredient) product. These can be found at hardware stores (vs big box stores). The TSP-PF should be found at paint stores??? The Soilax and TSP-PF are powders and the Soilax does not have to be rinsed off. I have used them for many year with success!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I do alot of painting and I either use Soilax or a TSP-PF (this is not a brand name but rather the active ingredient) product. These can be found at hardware stores (vs big box stores). The TSP-PF should be found at paint stores??? The Soilax and TSP-PF are powders and the Soilax does not have to be rinsed off. I have used them for many year with success!!
Thankyou soo much for the info!!! I will be doing that if i can't clean the walls with the eraser!
/ What's your favorite brand of paint to use just out of curiosity? I'm thinking about redoing that bathroom soon. The Benjaman Moore paints look good- i'm wanting to use the ones that's childproof and washes off easily. So when (if we're able to) we have kids it'll be easier to clean up.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started out buying paint at Diamond-Vogel stores but then they changed owners and staff. I switched a couple of yrs ago to Benjamin Moore (check out their website for how the colors will look in certain rooms) The store I frequent has very well informed staff. I have also in the past used Sherwin -Williams and Hallma-Linsey is very good too. This premium paints come at a higher cost-my paint I purchased last month was $40/gallon. They seem to "go further" and apply really well. I think the Ben Moore paint must have lower VOC's (volatile organic compounds) as the room didn't seem like fresh paint very much after application. Versus the paint from home depot that I am using in the basement and garage. Don't use flat paint but satin or eggshell. What's nice is you can buy those little sample bottles for $3-4 to actually try on wall (or posterboard) to get a better clue on if you like the color.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I started out buying paint at Diamond-Vogel stores but then they changed owners and staff. I switched a couple of yrs ago to Benjamin Moore (check out their website for how the colors will look in certain rooms) The store I frequent has very well informed staff. I have also in the past used Sherwin -Williams and Hallma-Linsey is very good too. This premium paints come at a higher cost-my paint I purchased last month was $40/gallon. They seem to "go further" and apply really well. I think the Ben Moore paint must have lower VOC's (volatile organic compounds) as the room didn't seem like fresh paint very much after application. Versus the paint from home depot that I am using in the basement and garage. Don't use flat paint but satin or eggshell. What's nice is you can buy those little sample bottles for $3-4 to actually try on wall (or posterboard) to get a better clue on if you like the color.
Now you've got me all excited about repainting!!!!! Thankyou soo much- your info has been really helpfull. I'm going to look at the Benjamin Moore site and see what colors i can find- i'll save them and see if Colin likes any of them. Hopefully he will so i can change that aweful color
It doesn't fit that bathroom at all! I'll have to see if i can borrow a camera to snap some pictures of it- you gotta see the color to believe it- i hate it!
/ I'm thinking a nice wine color for the bathroom

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the walls are white & you can tell the other renter painted the walls, yellow in the bathroom and red in the main hall. I really think the paint came off with the eraser b/c of the quality used. Lysol should be fine too.