Cat sitting for the night

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Someone that lives upstairs has just given me a cat for the night!
To cut a long story short, the person who was looking after her can`t anymore and apparently they tried to get her in a cattery but they were all closed.
I couldn`t turn her away so she`ll be staying in the office round the back tonight.
She is such a sweet heart! Even more cute coz she has no tail and is so friendly.

But! He didn`t bring any food with her and she is just so skinny! I can feel every bone in her tiny little body. Hips, spine, ribs...
I know Kitty is a fatty and I`m used to feeling his plump bulk but surely no cat should be that thin?
Then again I don`t know anything about her so I guess I shouldn`t jump to conclussions.

She`s really tugging at my heart strings

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the cat. You can see Dory's hip bones & he feels really thin, but when he's been vet checked for her weight 2x the vet said that's just him! Some cats are just really thin looking.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my, how strange,
do you think theres a hidden agenda and you might be ending up with cat no. 2 ?

bless her
did they tell you what her name was or anything about why she might be thin !

keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Awwwww how old is she?. And is there a picture of her so we can see how thin she is?.

I'm like you, i like my girls a bit podgy
I`m just going to get my camera so I can show you. She`s quite long haired so it`s not easy to see with my camera phone so I`ll get my good one.
All he told me was she was a stray and they nursed her back to health.
I can feel the lumps of her spine all the way along

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

All he told me was she was a stray and they nursed her back to health.
I can feel the lumps of her spine all the way along
aww bless her........

I can feel Teddy's spine, but he's a long sausage type kitty, and still a baby

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry! Got distracted by Eastenders and then computer went on the blink.
Right. Her is the little girlie. Her name is Maisie. Don`t know anything else.
Her feet and head look big and thats anouther reason why I think she`s too skinny, if you know what I mean?
I`m just wondering how they will afford to keep her at a cattery coz they aren`t cheap. Will get some answers tomorrow.
Would love to take her in but I`m not sure what the story is yet and I can imagine Kitty would NOT be impressed!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm it's hard to tell really?, she does look a little thin in that first picture. You don't know how old she is?.

What was she like when you gave her something to eat?

She's a gorgeous colour as well!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it doesn`t show up that well but honestly, there`s no meat on her. I can count every one of her ribs!
No idea how old she is.
I gave her some buiscuits, not many coz I dont know what she`s used to and she wasn`t interested at first then she scoffed the lot. She`s had a few Natures Menu trears as well. Loving those.
I`d just hate to think she wasn`t being looked after properly and I did nothing to help her

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call me suspicious, but it doesn't sound to me like she was being cared for very well. I'd be tempted to not give her back to those people.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's such a pretty girl!
I think she looks pretty tiny as well. I am sure all that fur might make her look alright, but she does look quite small. Any idea how much she might weigh just from holding her?

Keep us posted on her story. You are doing a great thing by taking her in unexpectedly.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

aww bless her........

I can feel Teddy's spine, but he's a long sausage type kitty, and still a baby
Awww! Teddy looks so healthy though

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Call me suspicious, but it doesn't sound to me like she was being cared for very well. I'd be tempted to not give her back to those people.
Hmmm. I`m thinking 'What if...?' at the moment.

Originally Posted by berylayn

She's such a pretty girl!
I think she looks pretty tiny as well. I am sure all that fur might make her look alright, but she does look quite small. Any idea how much she might weigh just from holding her?

Keep us posted on her story. You are doing a great thing by taking her in unexpectedly.
Thanks! She`s so sweet! She`s just laying on my lap while I`m typing this.

She is quite small anyway, and yeah, I thought she looked ok until I stroked her. It`s hard to guess what she weighs but if I went and got the bathroom scales and got on holding her, I don`t think anything would register. They`re not digtal. I dont know how much is in a bag of sugar but she feels like a bag, bag ang a half.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's so beautiful! What a sweet little face! But you're right, that spine does look much too prominent to me. How old do you think she is? From the pictures, I'm guessing still a kitten...

If they claim to have "nursed her back to health," I'd hate to see what kind of shape she was in to begin with, poor baby! I hope you can keep her, at least long enough to plump her up with some KMR (or the UK equivalent).

You know what they say: When the meowmy is ready, the cat will appear...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? I have 2 quite skinny males under a year old, Radar is the eldest at 10.5 months old, he looks a bit like those proportions, although I have to say it is difficult to tell under all that fur on those photos! Radar's not underweight, just a bit lanky, he is very muscular though. I can feel his back 2 ribs and his hips when petting him, but he is a great weight and has good muscle tone. My vet says that he sees too many overweight cats and Radar is just right for his age and frame size.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's CUTE!! Good luck with her..

I would like to point out that some cats are very thin for various reasons and it's not always the owner's fault..

I mean- I have one cat that's way too thin- can feel his spine, hips and bones. I have had him checked out several times and had him checked out again RECENTLY (last week) by my vet who said he wants me to feed Buddy MORE. I am trying to figure out how to get Buddy to gain weight because I leave food out ALL DAY and night but Buddy just don't seem that interested in food like other cats are. I have tried various types of dry food/wetfood and haven't found one that he would eat a lot of yet..

I am going to try kitten food because I heard that's high in protein and helps cats gain weight. Buddy is in very good shape otherwise- the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He's very active, alert and loving..

I just wanted to point this out just in case.
Maybe you can talk more with the owner(s) and find out more about her history- if t hey had her checked out by a vet, etc and see what they said.. If they didn't show any concern about her being that thin and haven't taken her to the vet then I'd definitely be very concerned about her well being.

Please do keep us posted regarding this..

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just checking back in.....

aww
she is a sweetie

females can be smaller than males - but she does look a tad on the thin side, bless her - t'aawwwhhhh, she's lovely and I bet you'd love to keep her

Has Kitty come across her yet

give her some tummy rubs from us
keep us posted !

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's obviously comfortable with you as well if she's lying on your lap, awwwwww

A bag of sugar weighs 2lb so if you think she's 1- 1 1/2 bags that's only 2 1/2lb which is really light