Would you adopt a baby fox?

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

They are cute... but I would never own them. I'd rather keep them in the wild, and watch them.
No I would never "adopt" a baby fox. I think it's disrespectful towards nature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

themanxcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True.. but these have been hand raised with people on a ranch and have not been out in the wild.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

No I would never "adopt" a baby fox. I think it's disrespectful towards nature.
they are very cute, though.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you go to the IMO forum and read the thread about Owning Exotics, then you'll see how alot of members feel about this.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, didn't know that.
Alot of members feel that owning exotics is wrong.But, there are some that do agree if you do it RIGHT and follow all the guidelines, then it MAY be ok.

kirst

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

They are cute... but I would never own them. I'd rather keep them in the wild, and watch them.
I think they really cute but not pets.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, i would never "adopt" a wild animal- because they are just that- wild animals. You can never "own or adopt" them- they are wild and will always be that way, no matter how "domesticated" the become. I am not a ch. 501 rescue organization set up to adapt to the changes/care/responsibilities that go along with caring for a beautiful wild animal like that. You have to have special permits, special enclosures, special diets....the list goes on. Wild animals are not pets- they will never be pets. There are wonderful people out there (amberthebobcat's dad is one of them) who does have exoctics- but they have met all special requirements and have years and years of experience with them. They also recognize that they are not pets- and treat them accordingly. Now that being said- I do own a wolf mix. I have had her for almost 12 years now. When I was younger we went to the animal shelter to adopt a dog- when we got there the staff were about to put (Giger- my dog) and her litter mates to sleep because they do not adopt out hybrids. After a lot of careful thought and things of that nature- we were allowed to adopt her. We had to show that we were able to provide adequate care for her - they inspected our home and all of those things. She has done well with us and we love her- she is a part of our family. - that being said- we have never forgotten that she is part wolf. Her mom was a wolf and her dad was a german shepherd/elkhound mix. (we have proper documentation.) Also another thing about exoctics- they can be VERY destructive depending on the animal- if left alone on their own. You can not just get an exoctic and toss it in a backyard enclosure- they'd be pitiful. When Ginger was a puppy- she completely chewed off ALL the drywall in the bathroom. As she got older- she did the same thing in my mom's room. Colin's had to replace it 3 different times- Ginger has severe anxiety/panic attacks when it rains- she goes balistic. She has literally torn through the metal bars on her crate in a storm and get out- We're talking tough top of the line metal crate! She demolished it. With exoctics- you never know what they're going to react to- you have to be careful. (she is crated during thunderstorms at the vets recommendations because she feels safe in her "den" area- it is not a punishment- she loves her kennel and has full run of the house.) She is indoors only as that is the safest thing for her- but she goes on long walks every day and we take her to the dog parks (when no other dogs are there) for exercise. Are you prepared to properly exercise an exoctic? Are you ready to pay extra money for vet visits to find a vet that specializes in exotics. Also- special medicines might be necessary as an exoctic ages. When it rains though Ginger gets scared- it is very hard to handle her- she has to have tranquelizers and other medicine to calm her down. - trust me, you've never lived until you've had to calm down an anxious wolf mix. If you are not an experienced handler- it could get dangerous. Also- with exoctics come different medical issues. Ginger has had a plethera of issues as she's aged. It has cost thousands and thousands of dollars to maintaine her health. Exoctics are cute, they are beautiful- but they will cost you a fortune. I could go on and on as to why exoctics are not pets but i will instead refer you to talk to other exoctic owners- like Amber the bobcat. Also- go visit your local zoo- look at their enclosures- they are NOT cheap- also, think about what would happen should a fox get ahold of your kitties- not pretty. Ginger, my wolf mix gets along very well with my animals- but she was raised around them and she might just be an exception to the rule. You can not risk bringing in a new threat to your animals into your home. I do not think it's a good idea. I think that they should be respected at the beautiful WILD animals that they are and leave it at that
Also- if you love foxes soooo much- I have a great idea for you- Why not sponser your local zoo's fox exhibit??? That would be wonderful- the animals would have someone supporting them- and the money will help to feed and care for them- plus you will be happy knowing that you have helped one of your favorite animals