Need opinion-wet vs dry food

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was feeding my cats Nutro pouches. Thank goodness not the recalled ones, but have been checked out and found healthy by the vet.

My russian blue mix Natasha will not eat any of the new wet foods I've offered her except 9 Lives. I know that's a crappy food. My question is which is better feeding a crappy wet food or just put her on a good quality dry food?

I have tried every wet food out there she hates all of them. Merrick, Chicken Soup, Wellness, New Balance , Meow Mix, Triumph etc.

Any thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is a catch 22

I think that the best dry food is about the leval of a decent canned or pouched.... I wouldnt want to give a cat " junk wet food " all the time so maybe a happy mediumd of a good dry with the 9 lives??

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd give her high quality dry food only and forego the "junky" wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so far that is what I'm doing- she doesn't exactly gobble up the 9 Lives either but she doesn't walk away with that paw shake I've gotten to know so well.

I realized in the light of what has happened to other people's furkids this is petty. But she is driving me crazy. I've opened and thrown out more cans of food then I can remember.

I currently has Purina One as a dry food. Is that any good?

Cynthia

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd actually go for the junky wet food, depending on exactly what was in it and whether my cat had an allergies with any of the ingredients. Even the best dry foods have quite a high carb level and for me water content is the decider. But it also depends on the age and health of the cat. With a younger cat I'd go for a mix of good quality dry and some junky wet but with an older cat I'd probably go for a higher proportion of wet but maybe some of the good dry as well. Depends what your priorities are. As Jaffa is a senior cat, doesn't drink much water when on dry food and has high renal values (high end of normal) for him water is a priority.

If you feed a poor quality wet because thats all a cat wil eat at least they are accepting the texture of wet food and they might at a later stage eat a better quality food. If a cat is fed exclusively dry food it can be very hard to get them onto wet should they need it (eg if they are diagnosed with kidney failure)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckatz

so far that is what I'm doing- she doesn't exactly gobble up the 9 Lives either but she doesn't walk away with that paw shake I've gotten to know so well.

I realized in the light of what has happened to other people's furkids this is petty. But she is driving me crazy. I've opened and thrown out more cans of food then I can remember.

I currently has Purina One as a dry food. Is that any good?

Cynthia
Purina one dry is kinda on par with 9 lives wet...

One is a decent food for grocery but a trip to any pet store will yeild you far better drys for about the same price

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Purina one dry is kinda on par with 9 lives wet...

One is a decent food for grocery but a trip to any pet store will yeild you far better drys for about the same price
ok thanks for the advice. I give that a go- oh, goody another trip to the pet store.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel like I've been spending my life at Petsmart. Good thing Natasha is cute and lovable. Cause she is driving me crazy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I feel like I've been spending my life at Petsmart. Good thing Natasha is cute and lovable. Cause she is driving me crazy.
lol... I think we can all relate ...

Authority is likely your least expensive yet good quality dry there

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was feeding my cats Nutro pouches. Thank goodness not the recalled ones, but have been checked out and found healthy by the vet.

My russian blue mix Natasha will not eat any of the new wet foods I've offered her except 9 Lives. I know that's a crappy food. My question is which is better feeding a crappy wet food or just put her on a good quality dry food?

I have tried every wet food out there she hates all of them. Merrick, Chicken Soup, Wellness, New Balance , Meow Mix, Triumph etc.

Any thoughts?
I know I am in the minority here but I freely feed dry food to both cats. I do offer treats but only Persi wants any. What is so strange about this is that Alley is a rescued cat from the streets and you would think she would eat anything and everything. But not so, she only eats the dry food they both share. BTW, I keep a bowl of water in every room and they get plenty of water. Last night we had fresh salmon and Persi came around to get a treat but Alley was not interested. Another BTW is that neither cat has changed weight by more than two ounces one way or the other (I weigh them with a baby scale.) I am so very happy that the two of them can share the same feed tray and litter box. I know this certainly would not work for a lot of people but it does for me and as long as both stay as healthy as they are, I will stick with free feeding them dry food. I am almost afraid to say the name of the brand because of all the opposition there is but I will tell you it is Science Diet Indoor Cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I know I am in the minority here but I freely feed dry food to both cats. I do offer treats but only Persi wants any. What is so strange about this is that Alley is a rescued cat from the streets and you would think she would eat anything and everything. But not so, she only eats the dry food they both share. BTW, I keep a bowl of water in every room and they get plenty of water. Last night we had fresh salmon and Persi came around to get a treat but Alley was not interested. Another BTW is that neither cat has changed weight by more than two ounces one way or the other (I weigh them with a baby scale.) I am so very happy that the two of them can share the same feed tray and litter box. I know this certainly would not work for a lot of people but it does for me and as long as both stay as healthy as they are, I will stick with free feeding them dry food. I am almost afraid to say the name of the brand because of all the opposition there is but I will tell you it is Science Diet Indoor Cat.
Not all foods work for all cat s.... I wont yell at you ...

I know a family with 6 dogs ... 5 eat Nutro and one eats SD why cause the SD works for that dog

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Persi,
Your house sounds like ours. We free feed dry also.

I have some funny eaters. Two who will only eat the dry cat food, one who snubs the dry but does eat it if she is hungry. She wants to eat cooked meat like her breeder gave her. And one who will eat anything and everything! She loves to sneek the kitten kibble when we have little ones. It's not helping her figure.

I agree with Sharky. Some cats need food that works for them. My "eat everything kitty" has a sensitive stomach and needs a dry food that agrees with her tummy.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you soak the kibble in tuna broth or chicken broth to make it more like wet?
I wouldn't feed the junk to mine.