Fish

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've noticed through trial and error of homemade recipes my cats only like fish. They won't touch chicken or chicken livers..
theyre both males.. will it be okay to feed them mainly fish? (salmon, some tuna, etc)? I would think that would be "not so good", but I havent taken my animal nutrition class at school yet so I'm not so educated..

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that's only what you would feed them? No 'cat food' ? Personally I'm not a fan of fish only diets for cats. There is a possibility that it may contribute to health problems. Also there are many ingredients in store bought cat foods that are essential for good health in cats like taurine, etc.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good dry food ... what % of diet is the fish? is it strait fish or fish with starch and veggies??/

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

Dry food - orijen and fish.
Ah. I thought you were planning on making them fresh salmon dinners every night or something

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with commercial wet food. Both of mine will only eat the ones that are mainly fish but they will eat a chicken and rice dry food. It isn't the best for them because of higher levels of magnesium and it isn't good for a cat that is prone to UTIs. It's a catch 22, the wet food is better for urinary health yet the fish can contribute to problems with the urinary tract. I feed mine the wet food with a lot of fish in it 3 or 4 times a week and I have a fountain. My female cat won't use the fountain but my male cat is drinking more water because of it. I have been thinking about trying a cooked food recipe since this mass recall but mine are so picky about everything but dry kibble I have a feeling I would be wasting my time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the only fish I know they like is tuna and I know thats not really "desirable" to feed, but I was thinking about trying salmon mixed with some of the ingredients you gave me sharky.. but its like they don't want to touch grain or sweet potatoe in something they're extremely picky..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try oatmeal...lol.. yup cats can smell a grain or veggie miles away

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise