Lexi how did your head get THERE??

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So earlier today I was looking at the homeagain website to enroll Lexi so that way if the sneaky little devil got outside I have someway to track her. I had forgotten to enroll her when I first got her and thought I better do it before something happens.
I had opened the window earlier to let some fresh air in since it was going to rain later. My screen got weed whacked a couple of years ago, so it had a SMALL tear in it. Well, I was getting up to go do something, walk back in my room and she had stuck her head through the screen where the hole was!
So I pulled her head out, scolded her and finished working on enrolling her. I got up and should have known that she wouldn't have stopped there.
I get up again only to discover she has half her body out the screen!!
Oh, I was so mad!
She was one deteremined little kitty to get outside. So I closed the window and proceeded to taping the screen from the outside all the while she had her little paws on the windowsill and was looking at me like she did nothing wrong! I told her the whole time that she brought it upon herself!

I wish I could have gotten a picture, but at the time I was more worried about trying to get her body back through the screen before she got out. Now the hole is three times the size it was!
Anyone know a place where I can get a replacement screen for the window???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Anyone know a place where I can get a replacement screen for the window???
She really wanted to prove you needed to get her enrolled.

Measure the screen and go to the hardware store. If it's a standard size they should have one. If not, you can buy the screen material or wire and redo it yourself. I have vague memories from when I was around 9 of helping redoing the screening in the screen frames. Maybe look it up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

She really wanted to prove you needed to get her enrolled.

Measure the screen and go to the hardware store. If it's a standard size they should have one. If not, you can buy the screen material or wire and redo it yourself. I have vague memories from when I was around 9 of helping redoing the screening in the screen frames. Maybe look it up?
I just couldn't believe she had done that!
We've been to Lowe's and they don't have them, but someone has to sell them! If not, I will try to redo it myself.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just get the screening material, some spline, a spline roller, and a tube of the cement they use in the slot -- the hardware store should be able to tell you what to get and how to use it.

But now that Lexi has discovered a vulnerable point in your perimeter, she may keep trying -- and if she pushes on the screen too hard, she could push it right out! So while you're at the store, see what they have for holding the screen in place more securely. You'll want to look on the outside of the window to see what sort of surface you have available to mount things to, and then the guys at the store can probably tell you what will work best.

Good luck with your little escape artist!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what I'm worried about when we finally open our windows when it gets nice enough out.

Replacing a screen is easy enough. Basically on you have to do is get Fiberglass Screen Material (it comes in a roll), rubber screen spline, and a spline roller.

You pull out the old spline and remove the screen material. Cut the new screen material to fit the screen (I usually have some overlap). Make sure it's straight, and then press the spline into one corner of the screen and use the roller (the grooved side) to price spline into the screen groove. As you go around make sure the screen as as tight as you can get it, although I've found if the screen has a bit more give, it can't be torn as easily. Cut off any excess spline when you get to the end and trim any excess screen material with a utility knife.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info! I will have to try that the next time I go. The window is ONLY open if I am in there. She was soooo quiet...so she is very sneaky. Even with her tags attached...she seems like such a professional.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

No kidding! The ironic thing was that I was just enrolling her! How did she know??
Don't you know- kitties know EVERYTHING!
Or at least mine think they do

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buy strong screen. I think they come in varying thickness. Home depot etc. will have it.

I've done the spline/screen replacement. It's really easy.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

Buy strong screen. I think they come in varying thickness. Home depot etc. will have it.

I've done the spline/screen replacement. It's really easy.
Yeah there was a post about cat proofing windows a few weeks ago and someone linked to a pet screen material. The usual Fiberglass material probably isn't strong enough.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Yeah there was a post about cat proofing windows a few weeks ago and someone linked to a pet screen material. The usual Fiberglass material probably isn't strong enough.
Well, it wasn't a problem before. I think she just got tempted because there was a small slit in the screen.
But it sure was funny seeing her half in and half out the window since she got stuck.
Thank God for small miracles...She is enrolled now in Homeagain.