Ewwww

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I love my hamster, she is starting to gross me out. Her cage is so disguisting and I can't clean it until Sunday. I just wish she would stop peeing in the wheel and the little house on top of the cage. You can't change the cage for 14 days after the babies are born. I was going to change her cage the day she had the babies (because I didn't know she was pregnant) and then realized she had babies. It smells so bad in my bedroom.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewwwwwwwww no thank you.I've had hampsters and ferrets and the smell from their pee is NASTY!!!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am sorry for the smell, but I just love hamsters. I don't have any right now, but loved it when I did...and babies..how cute.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

As much as I love my hamster, she is starting to gross me out. Her cage is so disguisting and I can't clean it until Sunday. I just wish she would stop peeing in the wheel and the little house on top of the cage. You can't change the cage for 14 days after the babies are born. I was going to change her cage the day she had the babies (because I didn't know she was pregnant) and then realized she had babies. It smells so bad in my bedroom.
She needs to be litterbox trainned LOL. j/k but it would be nice true

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily, my hamster Elvis is a clean boy. His cage doesnt smell. He wont even use his wheel, nevermind pee on it lol! He actually collects all his poopy pellets and puts them in a container...he's a clean freak.

Dont know if its the same in your household, but over here the hamster rules over the cats. They all sleep around his cage and as soon as Elvis comes out late evening and starts wondering up and down his cage, all the cats line up to watch him like he is a movie! Yes I know they probably want him as a 3-course dinner, but his cage is fortunately completely cat proof thank god!

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never had a hamster so have never had to deal with the pee smell. I can believe it would be terrible though.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The smell is because she had babies and you can not change the cage or the mom will kill the babies So you have to leave it all alone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Oh I am sorry for the smell, but I just love hamsters. I don't have any right now, but loved it when I did...and babies..how cute.
I love hamsters too. The babies are so weird looking when they are born though, they have no fur and they are pink. They are just starting to look like baby hamsters and they are 9 days old.

Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

Haha I wish. That would be so much easier to clean.

Originally Posted by minxie

Luckily, my hamster Elvis is a clean boy. His cage doesnt smell. He wont even use his wheel, nevermind pee on it lol! He actually collects all his poopy pellets and puts them in a container...he's a clean freak.

Dont know if its the same in your household, but over here the hamster rules over the cats. They all sleep around his cage and as soon as Elvis comes out late evening and starts wondering up and down his cage, all the cats line up to watch him like he is a movie! Yes I know they probably want him as a 3-course dinner, but his cage is fortunately completely cat proof thank god!
My hamster is usually pretty clean too, but lately shes been messy. It's also been a couple of weeks since her cage was cleaned. Right now she has all the babies and a bunch of bedding in the wheel (its a wheel on top of the cage, no holes in it that they can get through or anything...just air holes) so they are all going up there and its really gross.

My cats love the hamsters cage. I haven't let them in there since she had her babies because I don't want the cats to scare her. Normally they both just sit there and stare.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is really weird - I've had both a male and a female. The male was very clean - no smells in his cage (but you can change the male's cage more often) and the female was opposite - always messier and smellier

We had our hamsters on wire bottoms rather then solid - no problems cause the pee, etc would fall thru to the newspaper and you could change that every day.

My dad built both of our hamsters cages from screening pieces - they were nice and roomy too

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What is really weird - I've had both a male and a female. The male was very clean - no smells in his cage (but you can change the male's cage more often) and the female was opposite - always messier and smellier

We had our hamsters on wire bottoms rather then solid - no problems cause the pee, etc would fall thru to the newspaper and you could change that every day.

My dad built both of our hamsters cages from screening pieces - they were nice and roomy too
I wish I had one of those. Mine is so gross. I don't normally let it get stinky, but I cant change it yet.

The babies walked for the first time today.
It was so cute because their eyes aren't open yet. I will try and get some pictures.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually....You can litter box train them
My friend's Hamster goes only in his litter box (well primarily) and his cage does not smell too bad. they sell little ones for hamsters with the right litter or sand or whatever it is, let me see if I can find a pic of one

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1940_86121748

some hamsters won't do it but hamsters tend to only go in one corner of the cage anyways. other wise hold your breath

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also had a hamster who was litter box trained. I just put a glad tubber ware thing in there with litter. and i read on the internet to put rasins in there so they know to go in there . it worked for me. i haven't bothered to do that for my two i have now though.

When i was younger i had hamsters and we bred them. I never had a problem with smelling and we had ALOT of them. I was planning on breeding the ones I have now. But for somereason they can't have babies. Oh well.

Do you have any pictures of yours?
what kind are they dwarf or teddybear. (syrian)

I have winter white dwarfs. There is a male and female. The male is Billy and the female is Bobbie.
To see pictures of them go to:
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/Bethany_11/
My other animals are there too. the one in the shoe is Bobbie. And in the pic of both of them together shes the lighter one.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

I also had a hamster who was litter box trained. I just put a glad tubber ware thing in there with litter. and i read on the internet to put rasins in there so they know to go in there . it worked for me. i haven't bothered to do that for my two i have now though.

When i was younger i had hamsters and we bred them. I never had a problem with smelling and we had ALOT of them. I was planning on breeding the ones I have now. But for somereason they can't have babies. Oh well.

Do you have any pictures of yours?
what kind are they dwarf or teddybear. (syrian)

I have winter white dwarfs. There is a male and female. The male is Billy and the female is Bobbie.
To see pictures of them go to:
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/Bethany_11/
My other animals are there too. the one in the shoe is Bobbie. And in the pic of both of them together shes the lighter one.
I have dwarfs. I have been told they are Russian Campbells or something... I don't know much about hamsters. There is some pictures of them here http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/rhayward19/ and if it asks for a friend password its zebra

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have oodles of Russian Campbells dwarf hamsters! I started off with what was seemingly a male-male pair...and whoops! They were sexed wrong...babies came shortly thereafter...6 of them. This happened to me 4 different times...it is NOT an easy task to sex a wiggly uncooperative dwarf hamster, and I've had lots of "oops" litters from pairs that were sold to me as same-sex pairs. I think in all, I had 5 litters throughout my time owning the little boogers...but I'll tell you, there is NOTHING cuter than 10-14 day old dwarf hamster babies. They are DARLING!!! Fortunately, I ended up keeping most of them, and some of the babies I didn't keep went to students, and back to the pet shop. I became REALLY good at sexing them, let me tell you.

And yes, there's that stanky-yucko cage phase after the babies arrive...it's 14 days with NO cage cleaning. After that, you're fairly safe to clean the cage...shortly after that, the babies will need to be divided into same-sex pairs or groupings...they reach sexual maturity quickly, and fairly soon, your babies will be having babies. I had nearly 30 dwarf hamsters at one point, and like 9 cages. It was a lot of work...but I never had a baby eaten. It was nerve-racking, and I knew NOT to peek too much at those babies before the 14 day mark...after that, you can begin handling them.

I've now moved on to larger pets with longer lifespans (like cats and dogs), but I certainly appreciate my hamster days...they are so funny and cute.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could tell the sex of them. I really don't know and they are supposed to be going to their new homes on Sunday. One of the girls I am giving 2 of them to is 4 months pregnant and already has a 2 year old son, so I don't want to accidentally give her a male and a female. She wont just settle for one though, she wants 2.