Cat leashed around leshed dogs.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today sense it was so nice I took Bindi to a park by my house I figured he would like to explore forest and sandy beaches. I leshed him and opened the carrier he came out and wondered around sniffing at the dead leaves and sand then went up to a tree and circled around it. Then a small tan dog came across the bridge and moved towards him, Bindi puffed up and started acting scared I grabbed him and took him back to the carrier he stayed in there for a few minutes then came back out and watched the river and the boats. then he roamed around a little more. I scratched the bark on a tree and he sharpened his claws before climbing a fallen tree and jumping down and following me.

Is it safe to take him to a park where people walk their dogs? It seemed like a good idea at first but now I dont know. I want him to explore the forests and meadows and wonder across the beach and hunt for bugs ect. but at the same time I want him to be safe, It seems safer then by my house no cars and more natural settings. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

Are there any alturnative parks in Saint Paul MN that DO NOT allow dogs? I live by Hidden falls, park in highland village.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if he is leashed i think it would be fine just don't let him alone unsupervised. Stay right there with him and watch him at all times. And watch his surroundings too. If something spooked him and he took off, he will be hurting when he hits the end of the leash.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's unlikely he'll accept strange dogs. Could you possibly take him on days or times when less people will be walking their dogs? or maybe a park that does not allow animals off leash? Make sure to warn anyone coming over with their dog to stop.
If you could get one of the soft nylon carriers that fold up you could carry it with you as you move from area to area and have it down for him to retreat into when he feels scared. If he knows he has a safe place it might make him feel better.

Make sure to keep him up on his vaccinations, flea meds, and worming since he'll be exposed to areas that other animals have been. You may also want to ask your vet for an extra copy of his rabies vaccination and keep it with you when you take him to the park or anywhere else in case something happens.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of any the don't really allow dogs. IMO I would not take my cats out to walk around on the ground to explore. There's always one idiot who doesn't have their dog leashed and may not like cats - what do you do then?

Do you live in an apartment?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a bad experience with one of my cats and an unleashed dog with an idiot owner. And that was on our building grounds - I guess it can happen anywhere. I wouldn't stop taking your cat out to enjoy the park though. Just be very watchful of dogs approaching. I like the suggestion of a soft nylon carrier that's easy to carry and keep near you. I made the mistake of picking up my cat when he was being chased by the dog, and got a very nasty infected bite from him.
Another idea that might not be so popular is to get one of those mini bear sprays and carry it hanging from your belt. You should be entitled to try and protect your cat if some out of control dog starts attacking him.
My other cat is unafraid of dogs. We often encouter them as we're out walking as we live on a busy road. He'll approach warily and check them out. So it's possible for cats to get used to meeting strange dogs occasionally. It's all a matter of how sensibly the humans behave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I go to TTI an adult work program from the school system , no I live with my dad ... for now. I like that carrier subjestion could you guys post me a website that sells them?

I will get summer off, maybe not as much as I'd like but I will get time off when most people are working. I will try then, It was too early for the park in my opinion but the wheater outside was so nice.

Bindi is getting a nice confadene in me from our walks together and in himself I like that. Most cats that are indoors only dont have that, its nice. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif His fur is the softest of any cat I've felt, I feed him raw so maybe thats it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I made the mistake of picking up my cat when he was being chased by the dog, and got a very nasty infected bite from him.
This is why I suggested a copy of proof that the cat has a current rabies vaccination. If you or someone else gets bit and goes to a doctor or hospital the bite will be reported. You'll want proof and your vets info at hand if that happens.

Originally Posted by pushylady

Another idea that might not be so popular is to get one of those mini bear sprays and carry it hanging from your belt.
Do you mean a pepper spray? IMO anyone, especially a woman alone should be carrying that anyways.
Originally Posted by Panther pride

I like that carrier subjestion could you guys post me a website that sells them?
Wal-mart, Kmart, Petco, Petsmart, any petstore, should have them. I can't remember if it was the petco or petsmart site that had an ad for one on sale on their site.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing bringing his carrier. I assume it's the hard plastic kind. I'm not so sure I would go with the collapsable one yet. Wait to get to know the dogs in your park and their owners. If a lot of them are off lease and any got aggressive a hard carrier would provide more protection I would think. Another option is a stroller. Then you don't have to carry anything and have a handy place to put your accessories like drinks, phone etc. What I like about the stroller is it's up off the ground and the ones with mesh keep mosquitoes away from them. It would be great if you could socialize your cat with dogs. If you have a friend that has a dog you could do this at home. If not, maybe you can make friends at the park. There are many people with good dogs who have learned or can learn to peacefully get along with cats. I think the most important thing to do is feel calm at all times so he does not sense any fear from you. You might also look for a park geared towards humans. Where I live there is a beautiful lake and park nearby with ducks and birds. There is a path all around and many people go there to jog or walk. No dogs are allowed. Since I have a stroller, I have taken my cats there before and they loved it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Is it possible for him to learn to tolerate dogs or will he always run from them or act scared?
Mister grew up with his dog brother Nunuk, they are only 2 months apart in age.

I have to be careful walking Mister in the front yard as he goes right up to dogs, he had a great time with a tiny Maltese puppy one day but that is the only time he's gotten close to a strange dog normally I put the brake on his leash so he can't go any further.