One kitten out of 6 with diarrhea?

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a litter of kittens who are now 7 weeks old today. They are all growing, thriving, and gaining, except for one. He has had diarrhea for quite a while now (at least a week). I thought that perhaps he had nursed on Mom more than the others (she had mastitis), but one week later, he is still not quite right.
He is more reserved than the others and while he does eat, he doesn't play a lot. His butt is always filthy and he gets mad when I clean it. Right now he has a big huge solid poop sticking out of his butt but it won't come out. If I squeeze his middle a little bit it starts to come out, but he screams so of course I let him go. Sometimes I see him strain in the litter box for several minutes without producing anything.
Could he have worms? It seems unusual to me that one of the 6 kittens would get worms, but I suppose it's possible? He hasn't eaten any of the recalled food at all, so I'm not concerned about that. Has anyone experienced this before? This is the first litter I've ever fostered and I thought that after all of the initial issues (C-section, mastitis, etc), we were past all the hurdles, and I'd be able to get all the babies adopted out
Any advice?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like this kitty needs to see a vet. Most kittens are born with worms so yes he may certainly have worms as will the other kittens most likely. If this kitten has had diarrhea for over a week, his little system is likely very dehydrated and that's dangerous.

I would suggest you contact the people you are fostering for and get this little fellow seen quickly. And please, don't squeeze his tummy or in any way try to force the poo out.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would cal the vet and ask them there. Also I know it sounds gross but take a wipe and try to pull the poop out maybe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor buddy...I pulled the poo out. It was solid and just seemed too big to have fit. I wormed him with Strongid on Sunday and fed him some KMR. He was looking thin and ratty, and wasn't playing with his siblings much. In the days since, he's perked up a bit and has been keeping his behind clean. He's been eating well also. He seems to be doing much better; perhaps this was just a case of worms!

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww I am glad he doing better

Keep us posted

Claire

xxxxxxxxxxxx

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh...he's not doing well. He keeps having hard poops that are too big to fit out of his little bottom. Now he screams when he's in the litter box but he doesn't always produce anything. Sometime he just bleeds. Other times it starts to come out, but it's too big, and he'll leave the box with it hanging out of him. I found him sleeping with a huge poo sticking halfway out of his little bottom. Poor buddy. He's definitely eating, but he's lethargic and very skinny, so I'm starting to worry more.

We discovered his momma has tapeworms today. I'd wormed everyone preventively with Strongid because I hadn't seen tapeworms. So perhaps he has tapeworms. His littermates (who will be 8 weeks on Monday) are all starting to get diarrhea too. We are headed to the vet in about two hours to get things checked out. I wouldn't be so worried if he weren't SO skinny. He looks more like a 5 week old. He is the smallest kitten by far. His little ribs and spine stick out, and he's looking ratty. I'll keep you posted on what the vet says. I'm hoping it's just worms...after all these little babies have been through

(for anyone who didn't see my posts in early February...I found his momma at 5 weeks pregnant...it was about 15 degrees outside, and she had worms and ear mites. She had a difficult delivery and required a C-section because one of her 7 babies was deformed. The other six have been OK so far, but Mom got mastitis a week ago...I was hoping that that was the last hurdle for this bunch)

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG get him to the vet I think he does have tape worm well honestly if mom does he does and his little body can not take it. Tapeworm will eat him up
He needs treatment from the vet am so sorry. I wish I was there to help you and him and to give hugz. Please remove the poops as he produces them... Do you have pictures of him... It there a weight loss.

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet. Little buddy is 1.4 pounds. His siblings are all between 1.7 and 1.9. So he's littler, but not too much littler. The vet said that often with large litters, and especially with large litters born via C-section, one kitten just doesn't thrive as much as the others. She said he might not have gotten as much colostrum as the others. His fecal test showed tapeworm eggs, so all of the babies and mom and my cats are getting Drontal this weekend. She said his colon is very full of hard poo, so she gave me a stool softener to give him 2-3 times a day. She said that after being wormed and having his stools softened, he should be doing much better within 5 days. She wasn't too concerned, so I'm trying my best not to be. I'm so glad it's not something worse!

katiescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more little update. He's had two doses of stool softener now and seems to have completely emptied his bowels. He's running...make that sprinting...around, and eating, playing, and jumping with the rest of them. If he starts gaining weight, I can stop worrying!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats awesome that hes better. And i hope he gains weight so hes as big as the rest of them! Post some pics of the kitties if you can.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatiesCats

One more little update. He's had two doses of stool softener now and seems to have completely emptied his bowels. He's running...make that sprinting...around, and eating, playing, and jumping with the rest of them. If he starts gaining weight, I can stop worrying!
WOOHOO go baby I knew he could do it. You are such a great meowmy