Flea med question.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I curtently have a 9 month old male neutered cat and a six pack of frontline. Its not even aprail yet, but the unsueally warm weater we've been having has me concerned for Bindi as he could get fleas, Yes? no? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif.
I want to use the meds starting in June, they are expensive and I want to use them only when nesscary, but also I want him to be outside on a leash and harness before June, will it be safe to have him outside without flea meds from now tell June, or should I start applying the meds now. Also do I need to treat both cats? ( we have an elderly cat as well), Who never goes outdoors, dont the flea meds repel fleas as well as kill them?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would treat both cats. Not sure when you want to start flea meds, but IMO it's better to start early than to not start soon enough & have to deal with a flea infestation.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have the same situation. Mika doesn't go outside but Bijou does so we treat both cats as Bijou (or even us for that matter) can bring in fleas from outside. We live in Canada in the Greater Toronto Area and we start flea medication in April and continue through to and including November. I have had one experience some years ago with getting rid of fleas and I don't want to ever have to do it again so I'd rather start early and finish late.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you may want to start now ... In my area some fleas have already appeared ...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, better to start earlier than later.

To answer your other question...to my knowledge, all of the topical flea meds like Frontline, Advantage, etc just kill fleas - they don't work as repellant. On the same token, with nothing to live on (the cat), I have found them to be effective in preventing an infestation. I hope that makes sense.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it doesn't hurt your cat too use flea protection every month right?

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I agree, better to start earlier than later.

To answer your other question...to my knowledge, all of the topical flea meds like Frontline, Advantage, etc just kill fleas - they don't work as repellant. On the same token, with nothing to live on (the cat), I have found them to be effective in preventing an infestation. I hope that makes sense.
What works as a repellent. It's such a coincidence that this topic came up b/c I just took Tyler to the vet today and he had a dose of Revolution which is supposed to be absorbed in his bloodstream. It's just so expensive for one month ($22 at the vet). I asked if I could get a prescription since it's so much cheaper elsewhere (3 months for $28 at Dr. F/S) but they only use vetcentric which doesn't list their prices.

I hope I'm staying on topic here and not hijacking this thread but is there another over the counter repellent that works like Revolution?

I was thinking of buying frontline or advantage but I just assumed they worked similarly to Revolution, like a repellent.

Thanks!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jiazzi

What works as a repellent. It's such a coincidence that this topic came up b/c I just took Tyler to the vet today and he had a dose of Revolution which is supposed to be absorbed in his bloodstream. It's just so expensive for one month ($22 at the vet). I asked if I could get a prescription since it's so much cheaper elsewhere (3 months for $28 at Dr. F/S) but they only use vetcentric which doesn't list their prices.

I hope I'm staying on topic here and not hijacking this thread but is there another over the counter repellent that works like Revolution?

I was thinking of buying frontline or advantage but I just assumed they worked similarly to Revolution, like a repellent.

Thanks!
Over-the-counter flea medications usually don't work well and in some cases are downright deadly - yes they have been known to kill the animal.

I buy Revolution for 2 cats and in Canada that is expensive, but it cost me more to have our house professionally fumigated when we had a very severe infestation of fleas some years ago. We spent much money on flea sprays for our home (some from the vet) and still never got rid of the fleas. We eventually had to call in professionals which cost more than the proper flea medication would have in the long term.

There are some areas to cut back on expenses and then there are some that just shouldn't. This is a shouldn't situation.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!
Hi,

I would not use any over the counter flea meds...Yosemite is right.

To my knowledge, none of them are repellents. They are absorbed into the bloodstream (you already know this)...and then basically the flea dies from biting the cat. That's my understanding anyway.

I'm not sure of your area...but that price for Revolution does seem high. I just walk into the vet and buy it and take it home. It's about $10-$11 for Revolution. Advantage (also from the vet) is normally $8-$10.

I was told once that, despite the fact that the topical meds aren't repellants...that if I used them monthly during flea season that I would not suffer an infestation. With no host (kitty)...the fleas don't thrive/multiply. That's been my experience. I've never had a problem.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you both for your responses. I am completely new to flea medications so this was all very helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was over $50 for this six pack of Frontline plus. Took your advice I put one on Bindi and one on Tom.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So is advantage brand okay? That I bought from my vet?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nedra

So is advantage brand okay? That I bought from my vet?
Yes, Advantage from your vet is good. The kind with orange writing on the label is for cats under 9 lbs, and purple for cats over 9lbs. I think I got the colors right.

Advantix is a similar product, but it's just for dogs, though. Advantage is OK for cats.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Beandip! They are going to get that every month then. I don't want any fleas!

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nedra if you have it and it was recommended by your Vet, use it.

I live in an area with LOTS of ticks. My girls are all indoor cats so I don't treat them but I have a stud boy that I walk on a leash. He walks the road and sniffs the roadside plants. In one walk he can come home with as many as a dozen ticks. I HATE ticks uugghh.

I use Revolution because it has the best all over coverage ticks, fleas, heartworm, roundworms, hookworms, and ear mites...basically anything he can pick up LOL.

I have never had a problem with any of the above and I want to keep it that way so I think it's worth the cost. I buy it online where I get a better deal.

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Hi,
I'm not sure of your area...but that price for Revolution does seem high. I just walk into the vet and buy it and take it home. It's about $10-$11 for Revolution. Advantage (also from the vet) is normally $8-$10.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I called a vet that's actually really close to me and they sold Revolution for $10! I can't believe the price difference from $22 to $10. Extra protection for my kitty (even though he's strictly an indoor cat...but just in case!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for letting me know about this. I called a vet that's actually really close to me and they sold Revolution for $10! I can't believe the price difference from $22 to $10. Extra protection for my kitty (even though he's strictly an indoor cat...but just in case!
That's great news. I'm glad I could help.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Black & Tan,

Thank you..I'll check into the Revolution and ask how much it is at the vet.