Finding a mate

dinasowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like for my cat to have one litter before I spay her. What is a good way of looking for a mate for her?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Dina and Welcome to TCS.

Very tough question to answer since we don't know what breed/color your girl is and what kind of kittens you are looking to produce.

But, in essence and at the very least, what to look for in a male is very good bloodlines, with a history of no illnesses in his background, with the right color and the right "type" in his history.

Hope this helps.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First you need to have breeding rights if its a pedigree cat. Usually the person you bought one (if a good breeder) can advise you on what cats would be best to breed.

Second, if its NOT a purebred, then your cat needs to be spayed. Having one litter before spaying is not a good thing, considering the many kittens/cats sitting in shelters from "just one litter" breedings.

You need to know your breed, know the quality, and if she's worthy of being bred, then you look for a male that has the qualities she lacks.

IMO if you only want one litter, you are not serious in wanting to improve your breed/cat.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I'm not mistaken, Dina is a moggie. You probably won't find anyone here at TCS who would advocate breeding your moggie girl, no matter how beautiful she is. There is no physical or emotional benefit for her to have kittens. If you want to breed her because you like kittens, and want to experience having them, I would suggest volunteering at a local rescue or shelter to become a foster parent. There is always a need for good foster homes. There are plenty of cats and kittens who need help, so please, please don't add to the population!

The best thing you can do for your girl's health is to have her spayed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreeed to all of the above... SPAY her unless she is a fully predagreed kitty with breeding rights

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant add much more to the others. Spay unless shes a papered girl with breeding rights and of quality.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people here have strong opinions, but I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think if you want to have one set of kittens, have them. it really depends on where you are and the demand for kittens in your area.

I said that about my cat, she is not a pure bread, and she lives with one other cat but she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t act motherly at all, so I wanted to let her have only one set of kittens (which I knew would be 3 as that is in her family) before I spay her, she had her kittens. And she loves them sooooo much, I have never seen a more protective mother. She smothers her face in them, its so cute. The demand for kittens here is GREAT I sold a kitten I rescued for 60 bucks, but the demand for cats, not so much, I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t STAND when breeders buy cats, but then when they are too old or they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t breed anymore they get rid of them. I also canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stand when they keep them and they have so many cats and their house stinks and the cats are not healthy, so you adopt a cat, then you fined out that the ill living conditions have cause serious heath problems and the breeder doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t admit to it. A lot of breeders cannot take responsibility. I personally think we need kittens for adoption, and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think they have to be pure. Much like when adopting a human baby, the young ones almost always go first, and I say thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s great for anyone who is willing to adopt an older cat, but there are so few. Having less kittens in the world is not going to stop the lack of interest humans have in adopting adult cats or even keeping them. Having fewer cats in the world just means breeders can charge more. But their will always be people who buy a kitten, breed it, then try to get rid of the adult because they want a new cat to breed or a new baby. Most of the time they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t, so it gets put down, or the breeder over crowds with more then 30 cats. Whatever happens… it has nothing to do with the amount of cats we have, it just they amount idiots in the world.

But I believe if you are going to breed find a healthy male, get a blood test so you know it is true. And if you think he is a good looking cat, she will have good looking babies, you can also look at the background of the father, what his brother and sisters looked like, what his breed is so if you cross breed you can inform the new owners of the kittens exactly what they are. Or if you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care, you can make mutts.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miyu

Some people here have strong opinions, but I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think if you want to have one set of kittens, have them. it really depends on where you are and the demand for kittens in your area.

I said that about my cat, she is not a pure bread, and she lives with one other cat but she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t act motherly at all, so I wanted to let her have only one set of kittens (which I knew would be 3 as that is in her family) before I spay her, she had her kittens. And she loves them sooooo much, I have never seen a more protective mother. She smothers her face in them, its so cute. The demand for kittens here is GREAT I sold a kitten I rescued for 60 bucks, but the demand for cats, not so much, I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t STAND when breeders buy cats, but then when they are too old or they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t breed anymore they get rid of them. I also canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stand when they keep them and they have so many cats and their house stinks and the cats are not healthy, so you adopt a cat, then you fined out that the ill living conditions have cause serious heath problems and the breeder doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t admit to it. A lot of breeders cannot take responsibility. I personally think we need kittens for adoption, and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think they have to be pure. Much like when adopting a human baby, the young ones almost always go first, and I say thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s great for anyone who is willing to adopt an older cat, but there are so few. Having less kittens in the world is not going to stop the lack of interest humans have in adopting adult cats or even keeping them. Having fewer cats in the world just means breeders can charge more. But their will always be people who buy a kitten, breed it, then try to get rid of the adult because they want a new cat to breed or a new baby. Most of the time they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t, so it gets put down, or the breeder over crowds with more then 30 cats. Whatever happens… it has nothing to do with the amount of cats we have, it just they amount idiots in the world.

But I believe if you are going to breed find a healthy male, get a blood test so you know it is true. And if you think he is a good looking cat, she will have good looking babies, you can also look at the background of the father, what his brother and sisters looked like, what his breed is so if you cross breed you can inform the new owners of the kittens exactly what they are. Or if you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care, you can make mutts.
As a breeder i can say i am insulted by the term "get rid of". Responsible Ethical breeders, dont just "get rid of" retired breeders. They spay/neuter them and find them good pet homes. While it would be ideal to keep all cats, sometimes its just not possible in the name of space,care ect. and there is nothing wrong with finding a wonderfull good, forever pet home for a breeder who has served well.

Secondly, I have been in a house that only has one cat and it "stinks"as you say. I dont think the number of cats is the issue its how well things are cleaned. And alot of times, catterys who have intact males will have some, odor because Male cats have much stronger smell to them. Now it shouldnt be over powering, but if there is some scent, i dont have a hernia about it. Intact males are difficult to keep.

I will refrain from saying much more at the moment. But dont try to pigeon hole all breeders.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO there are enough stray cats out there producing enough mixed breed kittens. The fact that you want to breed mixed kittens on purpose is what I object to.

There are TONS of pretty cats/kittens sitting in the shelters waiting to die - very few get adopted. And the majority are from those like you who think its ok to breed "just one litter".

I rescued a very unique ODD-EYE black and white female from the streets of the city. I was tempted to breed her "one time" - but that would go against what I've told many others about the necessity of spaying and neutering cats. So she was spayed at 8 months old - never had a litter.

If you believe in breeding mixed breed cats, then take a trip or two down to your local shelter and stick around to see them lining up the cats and dogs that no one wants from "just one litter"!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

please read this
http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/177/S...Your-Cats.html

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good article to link to sharky..

And i agree with golden kitty...its "just one litter" kitten season, ect...feel free to go down to the shelter...

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t try to pigeon hole all breeders.
I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t, if you are a good breeder, then you know when to stop. I make an effort to report and hopefully shut down overcrowded catteries. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m talking about the hurendus over crowding that happens when breeder are searching for the perfect cat, and makes SO MANY kittens trying to make this perfect cat to sell for lots of money, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m talking about breeders who need to sell kittens, but canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t since their prices are too high, and there are not enough buyers. If you cannot find a home for your kitten after 12 weeks, then I think you should spay. But if she wants to have ONE litter, I think finding homes for them will be so easy. I have seen breeders who have so many adult cats that they wanted to sell as kittens but didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t.

As for what I was saying about smell, I have been in homes that stink so bad you can smell it from the out side. Its sad, but the breeder is not even aware of the smell. I have 2 cats and I have to popper scoop everyday and change the 2 litter boxes once a week, someone with a huge number of cats itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a full time job for 2 or more people, but many donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t do that. So you are right cleaning is the issue, not the amount of cats, but a lot of breeders, donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have the control. Its sad, but its true.

There are TONS of pretty cats/kittens sitting in the shelters waiting to die - very few get adopted.
That is sad, and true, but people are curl and either cannot commit to the cats they have, or cannot find a home for kittens. And if you cannot find a home for your kittens then you shouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be breeding. But will they stop? Probably not, I know some stupid people who just donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t spay their cat because they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t afford it, but will they stop? Probably not. will breeders who canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sell stop? In many cases NO.

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get me wrong, I have seen really good breeders who do keep the kittens to keep the breeding line, and CAN find homes for their retired adults, keep the place clean and the numbers stay with in a range they can control.

If you have a cat yes you should spay it. But over all it is the owners choice.

If you are a breeder you should be able to afford it. As in keeping up cleaning, shots, spaying before selling. And every few years do blood test on ALL your cats to make sure that they are still healthy. But over all itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the breeders choice.

I just found over all when you do annual blood tests on pure bread compared to mixed breeds, the pure bread are not a healthy to mixed breeds, and do not live as long as them, why is that? 2 serious issues, that need to be delt with
1)\ttoo many cats being put down because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a home
2)\ttoo many cats being bread poorly, are sick and diseased and the breeder isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even aware of it. Cats are put down by the owner after a couple of years.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m glad you guys are so against the first issue and wanting to make a difference, but there is still many catteries that need to be shut down and are not.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do I do? I rescue cats, I volunteer my time with humane societies that are No-Kill, I help with adoption of many unwanted cats, I put MY MONEY into these cats I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even know, to get blood tests, shots vet checks, and spaying. Then I sell them for a cheaper price. making sure they are in prime health before finding a home. I have to keep up with my own cats too. I have no problem finding homes for kittens. I help breeders find homes when they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t. However I cannot get it through many breeders heads that the cats are un healthy and breeding should stop or slow down. But I only can encourage this, just as I encourage spaying. But I do believe that the owner can make the choice for themselves.

My goal is to help cats find good homes,
http://www.meowfoundation.com/
and stop excessive breeding and bad living conditions.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO your contradicting yourself. You say breeders breed to many kittens, (some do) and you say you work in a shelter, and yet you think its ok for her to have "just one" litter? While we don't know the whole story, I am going to venture an assumption, that this cat is not papered, or perhaps is without breeding rights. If thats the case no "just one" litter is NOT ok. I dont care how easy it would be to find homes because they are kittens.

GOOD breeders, the only ones who SHOULD be breeding, put time, effort money and alot more into their programs to better the breed. But I digress, this thread seems to be straying way off topic.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My goal is to help cats find good homes,
http://www.meowfoundation.com/
and stop excessive breeding and bad living conditions.

I do not understand how you can say you oppose excessive breeding or get angry about it while continuing to promote it. There are plenty of backyard breeders that can place their poorly bred purebred puppies- and they will keep doing it because “they can find homes for their puppiesâ€. How is what you are promoting any different?

Your belief that “just one litter†is ok is exactly what shelters and rescues have been trying to educate people against for years. It is a spit in the face to anyone actually involved in sheltering and rescuing to have someone that claims to be helping animals sit there and promote the very thing we work so hard to educate the public against. Ask the shelter staff at an open admission shelter during kitten season just how badly they “need†more kittens- their opinion based on experience is likely going to be quite a bit different than yours. I encourage you to actually talk to shelter staff and rescuers about the impact of what you are promoting. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s different when YOU are the one having to deal with the results of people that selfishly wanted “just one litter†everyday. Shelters and rescues arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t just about finding homes for unwanted animals, but a larger goal of preventing further suffering and euthanasia by educating people about the importance of spaying and neutering their pets BEFORE they have even one litter.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
in my city we have lots of lost cats, that once had a home, but more then likely got lost. But getting cats tagged helps with that too. I can tell you are very passionate about cats, and that is why you breed. and so am I, and I almost became a breeder, but it didn't make any sence to me, as I learnt more about breeding I thought you would have to be crazy to breed. but rather then breed I volunteer. I spend as much time with large amounts of cats as you. IMO I would rather spend my time making sure cats are healthy then to breed. and that they are spayed and tatooed Before they fined a new home. Its sad because the cats that are put down because they are not healthy are always the most beautiful ones. But Breeding hundreds of cat cats vs. breeding 3? Which one is over populating here? Funny I think you are also contradicting. There are HUNDREDS of Catteries in my city that breed hundreds of un healthy cats to the public. its great that there are a few good ones, but there is not many. and the good oens go for Lots on money maybe 1000 dollars. however not many people can afford that as just pets. the fact is people don't make the money to care for cats first. They donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have the money to get a blood test for all of them, they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have the money to spay all of them. and that is what shelters do, they help with that. but you sound like you are against breading, but then you breed. oh unless you have papers? I don't know if you are a good breeder or not, I haven't seen your home. and papers don't say anything about the breeder.

The only papers I want when I buy a cat is from the vet. and the only papers I provide when I sell, is from the vet. but many breeders think they are vets, only up date their shots and they think their cats are healthy. Cats are not ment to live together in large amounts. If you have one cat and you want to breed one litter, the cost is so much smaller. But if you say, you can only breed if you make it your profession. Well then you are sending out hundreds of new cats. and I disagree. Then they also become breeders and send out hundreds of new cats. I just think less is more.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pure breads I have had were papered, and had short lives, and I have not had breeders honer their breed and refund when they die early. and I know other people who have been through the same thing. so I prefer mixed cats to pure. I know lots of other people who also perfer mixed breeds. just becasue you don't doesn't mean we are wrong. my mixed breeds are always mistaken as purebreads because they are so beautiful. and they are healthy and I didn't lose Hundreds of dollars.

I know because you have a paper, you think your cats are better, but from my experience, that is not so. Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get me wrong there are breeds that I just love. I also think it is retarded that a breeder can say what I can and cannot do with my cat. the humane society don't do that. anyhow why go on and on? you people just don't get it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dinasowner

I would like for my cat to have one litter before I spay her. What is a good way of looking for a mate for her?
I recommend you watch this video at http://justonelitter.com/litter.html and read the other information on the website.

Also do a google search for "just one litter" and have a read of the information that comes up, then make up your mind.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have not had breeders honer their breed and refund when they die early. and I know other people who have been through the same thing.
then it sounds like you and your friends have not bought from reputable breeders.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure if the comments on i think my cats are better because they have papers was addressed to me or someone else. because that is not the case. out of all of the cats in my house, 3/4's are purebred papered persians.everyone else is..guess what..a rescue. Yes. I breed, I keep my cattery clean, all of my cats are screened for genetic issues, have their checks ups, shots, and all of my kittens the same. And i volenteer and help with rescues and my local humane society. I am sorry you have had a bad experience,that sucks. But again, dont pigeon hole the rest of us please.

I still confused by your posts, you speak contradictory for sure.