Uh oh! Kojak discovered the betta!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was funny! I walked into the restroom a minute ago to fix my hair when i noticed there was a big fluffy kitten curled up in my sink
It was Kojak. He was VERY intently watching the betta swim around in it's tank
He was laying down in the sink and his little nose was touching the fish tank. I swear his eyes were huge just looking at that poor fishy
Something tells me i'm going to have to keep the bathroom door shut from now own
We've had the betta tank in there by the sink for a while now- i guess he just didn't discover it until a minute ago. He's sooooo proud of himself too! When i called his name he looked up at me with almost this smirk on his face and meowed at me like "look what i found mewomy!!! it's pretty!!!"

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh kojak
the poor fishy, just remember tho at least he wasnt laying on the tank or trying to get the poor fishy
Bella and stormie just loove to lay on top of mama's cage (the guniea pig) luckily they just liked to sleep there, well until i got the tree now we dont mess with mama storm just tries to "play" with sugar my bunni
im always yelling at her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

oh kojak
the poor fishy, just remember tho at least he wasnt laying on the tank or trying to get the poor fishy
Bella and stormie just loove to lay on top of mama's cage (the guniea pig) luckily they just liked to sleep there, well until i got the tree now we dont mess with mama storm just tries to "play" with sugar my bunni
im always yelling at her!
True.....Isabella does that
Right now my girls are still at my mom's house (in the process of moving into colin's so i'm moving them here shortly). We have an 80 gallon at our duplex, and well...Isabella LOVES to lay on top of that one with her head hanging over the sides pawing at our huge algae eater
I didn't know you have a bunny! What kind do you have? I have a blue holland lop, Sophie. Only she's as big as my cats
They all get along just swimmingly
If they tried to eat her- she'd go after them
She's a ferocious little bunny
I think all of Kojak's exciting explorations have tuckered the little fella out. He's passed out asleep on the couch beside me now

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

True.....Isabella does that
Right now my girls are still at my mom's house (in the process of moving into colin's so i'm moving them here shortly). We have an 80 gallon at our duplex, and well...Isabella LOVES to lay on top of that one with her head hanging over the sides pawing at our huge algae eater
I didn't know you have a bunny! What kind do you have? I have a blue holland lop, Sophie. Only she's as big as my cats
They all get along just swimmingly
If they tried to eat her- she'd go after them
She's a ferocious little bunny
I think all of Kojak's exciting explorations have tuckered the little fella out. He's passed out asleep on the couch beside me now
ya i have a bunni, I am not sure what kind she is tho
I got her when I was in 4-5th grade cant remember! But shes about 8 years old She is my big fluffy girl! I think shes bigger than blue and stormie and her are maybe at the same maybe sugars a little bit bigger for now lol !! Ya my bunny also got this huge 2 story cage and well we actually found that at the flea market
No one really bothers her except stormie, but ive noticed that stormie loves to sometimes lay near her, so im thinking they got some sort of bond there!!
Out of all the animals here sugars been here the longest well for all of our pets now!

And o kojak is tired, everyone heres sleeping! We had some issues with who was gonna sit on the bed well I was on the computer tho and well Blue won

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

ya i have a bunni, I am not sure what kind she is tho
I got her when I was in 4-5th grade cant remember! But shes about 8 years old She is my big fluffy girl! I think shes bigger than blue and stormie and her are maybe at the same maybe sugars a little bit bigger for now lol !! Ya my bunny also got this huge 2 story cage and well we actually found that at the flea market
No one really bothers her except stormie, but ive noticed that stormie loves to sometimes lay near her, so im thinking they got some sort of bond there!!
Out of all the animals here sugars been here the longest well for all of our pets now!

And o kojak is tired, everyone heres sleeping! We had some issues with who was gonna sit on the bed well I was on the computer tho and well Blue won
your bunny and stormie sound like my little abilene and sophie- they're best friends
/ yup kojak finally got tired!
he'd been getting into mischif all day long!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He did it again this morning! Little Rascal!!!!!!! This morning after i brushed my teeth, i forgot to shut the door....and guess which little scamp found his way back into his nice little "kitty bed" of a sink to settle in for a nice morning of betta watching- you got it- Kojak! Boy am I glad blue tattoo (my niece named the betta
) has a covered tank!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw that's too cute. Zoey and Saki were super interested in my Betta when I first got him.

See Exhibit A

Now they could care less

I guess that's a good thing LOL.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

Hey didn't you know that's what their tv is like?
lol apparently not
but boy did he teach me what a great form of entertainment fish tanks can be

Originally Posted by Sicycat

Aw that's too cute. Zoey and Saki were super interested in my Betta when I first got him.

See Exhibit A

Now they could care less

I guess that's a good thing LOL.
lol that's definitely a good thing they've lost interest! lol looks like they wanted to go fishing in that picture

Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

LOL My cats do that I have a big tank and they fall off it all the time lol
I'm going to have to snap a picture of Isabella trying to fish in our 80 gallon tank sometime- it's funny!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Yours sounds as devious as mine!
Let's just say there is never a dull moment at my house. Poor fishy!!! I never could keep my beta alive. Do you have a secret?
I've had tons of bettas (up to 12 at one point.) mine usually live several years at a time. I give them a minimum of a 1.5 gallon tank (the more space they have the more they thrive- a 5 gallon tank is ideal for them
/ I do not use a filter, as bettas prefer still water to a current, i clean mine out every week, and i feed them blood worms. I also keep a thermometor in the tank so i can monitor the temperature
/ My gang is definitely devious!
They're lucky they're cute!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've had tons of bettas (up to 12 at one point.) mine usually live several years at a time. I give them a minimum of a 1.5 gallon tank (the more space they have the more they thrive- a 5 gallon tank is ideal for them
/ I do not use a filter, as bettas prefer still water to a current, i clean mine out every week, and i feed them blood worms. I also keep a thermometor in the tank so i can monitor the temperature
/ My gang is definitely devious!
They're lucky they're cute!
Mine would never live longer than a few months! They would always get ICK or some other disease and die! I had a filter, but I was considering not using one. When you change the water, do you put anything in it so that it is safe for the betta? How long do you wait before putting the fish back in?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine would never live longer than a few months! They would always get ICK or some other disease and die! I had a filter, but I was considering not using one. When you change the water, do you put anything in it so that it is safe for the betta? How long do you wait before putting the fish back in?
When I change the water - i put Stress Coat (on the bottle it tells you the amount to use depending on the size of your tank) and when i have a sick betta i use betta fix too.
That's it. / Where were you getting your bettas from? They may have been diseased before you ever got them if you didn't get them from an experienced aquarium /store. I put the bettas right back in the tank after i finish the water change. What i do is put a cup in the tank- fill it with enoguh water for the fish to swim in- and put the fish in that while i change the water. I then (and some people do not agree with this- but my fish thrive when i do it) do an almost complete water change. take everything out of the tank- scrub it with a tank brush and water (NEVER soap) then put it back in the tank. I then add distilled water to it (making sure it's at the right temperature. Then I gently pour the betta back into the tank wit the water i had him in (so he has some of his old tank water as well as new) For me, i've found that technique to be the cleanest and work the best

www.aquaria.info - check out this site- it's like TCS but for fish!
It's wonderful- there's an entire section on there dedicated entirely to bettas with lots of usefull information! my sn is the same here as it is there.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I change the water - i put Stress Coat (on the bottle it tells you the amount to use depending on the size of your tank) and when i have a sick betta i use betta fix too.
That's it. / Where were you getting your bettas from? They may have been diseased before you ever got them if you didn't get them from an experienced aquarium /store. I put the bettas right back in the tank after i finish the water change. What i do is put a cup in the tank- fill it with enoguh water for the fish to swim in- and put the fish in that while i change the water. I then (and some people do not agree with this- but my fish thrive when i do it) do an almost complete water change. take everything out of the tank- scrub it with a tank brush and water (NEVER soap) then put it back in the tank. I then add distilled water to it (making sure it's at the right temperature. Then I gently pour the betta back into the tank wit the water i had him in (so he has some of his old tank water as well as new) For me, i've found that technique to be the cleanest and work the best

www.aquaria.info - check out this site- it's like TCS but for fish!
It's wonderful- there's an entire section on there dedicated entirely to bettas with lots of usefull information! my sn is the same here as it is there.
Great! Thanks...I've gotten mine mostly from wal-mart or petsmart. Both of which I should know better because they do NOT take very well care of their fish where we live and are almost always sick.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great! Thanks...I've gotten mine mostly from wal-mart or petsmart. Both of which I should know better because they do NOT take very well care of their fish where we live and are almost always sick.
No wonder they died! Wal-mart does not take good care of their fish at all. I do not think they should even be allowed to sell them
It's sad the conditions of their tanks/containers are in. Also and any good reputable place that knows 2 cents worth about bettas will know that those tiny containers are not proper living conditions for them. / Petsmart can go eithor way- i'd get fish from petsmart before i would wal-mart. We happen to have a very nice new petsmart by us with a phenominal fish dpt....so that one i might consider. But when it comes to it- if you have a store near you that specializes in only fish- that is a better idea
I get all of my bettas from this little guy named Bob- he owns one of the best fish shops in town and takes amazing care of all his fish- bettas included. Definitely do no get any more animals from wal-mart- when you get them from there you're supporting their bad conditions and lack of care. I would look around your area for a nice fish shop

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds familiar! I have 2 bettas, a male crowntail and a female veiltail. Jack has a 2 gallon and Jill has a 1 gallon (she's super duper tiny). I do water changes every 5 days and feed them a variety of foods, pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp and cooked pea every two weeks to keep them 'regular'. I've had them since October with relatively no problems so I must be doing something right

I
my fishies!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Sounds familiar! I have 2 bettas, a male crowntail and a female veiltail. Jack has a 2 gallon and Jill has a 1 gallon (she's super duper tiny). I do water changes every 5 days and feed them a variety of foods, pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp and cooked pea every two weeks to keep them 'regular'. I've had them since October with relatively no problems so I must be doing something right

I
my fishies!!
Your fish are beautiful! I'll have to try and take some pictures of Blue Tattoo the next time I borrow my moms camera. He's gorgeous- he's turquise green and a deep shade of blue. Love it! / Hehe Kojak just tried to get back into the restroom a minute ago to see his little fishy friend
I'm going to have to keep tabs on that kitten

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is SO nice to hear other people caring about these fish! I just kills me to see some of the conditions they are kept in.

A woman at work gave me a betta for my birthday just over a year ago (thought that was odd - live animal for an co-worker?) Anyway, my other co-workers all thought I should keep him there in the little bowl she gave me so he could be the office pet.

Bah! Took him home, bought a 5 gallon tank and he is happy. He was over a year old when she gave him to me, so he is a senior citizen now.
I do have have a small filter because I am so busy, but it is low flow and he still builds his bubble nests.

Thank you again!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until I saw this thread I had never heard of "betta" fish.

Sounds to me like they are like pirranah fish...or similar anyway.

I found this link that explains how to care for one. Found it most interesting. I haven't had a fish for many years. Last fish I had as a pet was when I was 4 or 5 years old....I had a gold fish, but obviously my mom looked after him, hehe

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Betta-Fish-Alive

I don't have the patience or committment to clean a fish tank once or twice a week. Looking after 2 cats and myself is more than enough
However, before I went off work on disability I would occasionally clean the fish tank on one of the hospital wards. I felt sorry for the poor fishies when their water looked murky.