> > the expiration date on their boxes.
> >
> > Also, beware of outdated cake, brownie and cookie
> > mixes

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for sharing this with us. I currently have been hit by a nightmare case of food poisioning as well as the stomach bug that's been going around- not a good combination! The food poisioning's side effects gave me colitis, lowered my blood count, made my colon start bleeding, drastically lowered my potassium levels and put me in the ER on Friday. I am supposed to be on bed rest until Wed.- i am missing work as a result, not getting to do housework/run errands, and i'm also racking up medicial bills as well as a result of food poisioining. I am still very sick with this. I think i got my food poisioning from going to a resturant when Colin and I were in Alabama recently. I even had healthy meals when we ate out- and STILL got sick. Please check dates on foods at home- but also- if something doesn't seem "right" about the food you've ordered out...SPEAK UP! Be polite- but do not eat anything that looks/smells suspecious. For me, my food didn't look suspecious- i thought it was cooked thoroughly...but that being said, food poisioning can come from a number of other factors. You can never be careful enough with the food you eat. Also- it can be in ice cubes and contaminated water.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dry mixes like that, if you're not going to use it soon, put it in the freezer. In fact that's a good suggestion for any food that can be frozen. I am always over cautious about food. Lots of washing hands and food when cooking, not reusing knives, other utensils, or cutting surfaces between foods, and very paranoid about raw meats. My MIL isn't so careful, probably why I don't eat her cooking if I can help it.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

For me, my food didn't look suspecious- i thought it was cooked thoroughly...but that being said, food poisioning can come from a number of other factors. You can never be careful enough with the food you eat.
It could have very well been the salad you mentioned. Did they ever say what bacteria caused the poisoning?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For dry mixes like that, if you're not going to use it soon, put it in the freezer. In fact that's a good suggestion for any food that can be frozen. I am always over cautious about food. Lots of washing hands and food when cooking, not reusing knives, other utensils, or cutting surfaces between foods, and very paranoid about raw meats. My MIL isn't so careful, probably why I don't eat her cooking if I can help it.

It could have very well been the salad you mentioned. Did they ever say what bacteria caused the poisoning?
No, they didn't. Just that it had caused colitis and the bleeding. I actually don't think it was the salad i ate (grilled chicken with parmesean and crutons) - i think it was the breakfast/lunch we had before we left for town that day- i had a grilled turkey sandwich with provolone and spicy mustard....it was good- but something seemed off about it- i think that's what i got it from, but there's no way to know. What stinks is that i actually took the time to look at the resturant ratings that were posted on the wall, wash my hands - you know, practice good common sense and hygeine. Sometimes you just get it i suppose. I'm just glad Sharky posted this reminder- hopefully it will spare someone else from getting food poisioning- it is a nightmare to deal with. Also just to add....both times i've had food poisioning (i had it over the summer from a bbq place we ate at) it was in a resturant, not at home. (both times confirmed by doctors as well)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that story about pancake mixes on Snopes, and it is indeed true! Scary stuff.

Re: the Menu Foods recall. This lady claims to have gotten sick from eating some of the affected dog food.
http://www.cbc.ca/health/
It's the story "woman blames dog food for illness" under the photo of syringes.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I am a bit over-paranoid about spoiled food. We had an OLD refrigerator when I was growing up and things would go bad very quickly. Now that I'm older, I still check dates on everything at the store before I even put it in my cart, and I check dates on everything at home before I eat it, if I think it might be getting old.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This si why I try to bake/cook from scratch when ever possible and I try to never use out dated items.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting...I am paranoid about dates...so I actually check the date on everything that I eat or drink...

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

This si why I try to bake/cook from scratch when ever possible and I try to never use out dated items.
Pancakes are so easy to make I don't know why anyone would buy a mix.
By the time you have checked the date and for hydrogenated fats, you could make a batch of pancakes.

I think this is more worrying, you sort of expect basics like rice to be safe.
http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/con...320-D6-04.html

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We regularly shop at Sam's Club and get things in bulk. Almost every day I make a big waffle breakfast for my husband. The mix I use comes in a 10lb bag. I never run out, but occasionally we get tired of eating the same thing and go to bagels or english muffins for a while. Thanks for the reminder to check dates. I usually do before using something that has been around for a long time. I did make an exception for the parmesan cheese in our refridgerator. We bought it last year at Sam's and the best by date was in February 2007. I saw a Food Network Unwrapped show about parmesan cheese and feel confident we won't keel over as long as it still smells and tastes ok.

Pancakes are so easy to make I don't know why anyone would buy a mix.
I am not a big baker and with just me and my husband food tends to get wasted. If I buy flour and eggs, one will surely be spoiled and not useable by the time I need it. It used to happen all the time. The mix I buy has eggs and everything else, just add water and oil. I don't find out I'm missing some key ingredient while I'm trying to send my husband off on his 12hr+ workday. In the end we save money and frustration.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! I will always double check my mixes from now on
I also think about the "little wevil" type bugs that get in flour and stuff.....*gags*

Thanks for the heads up!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I am very glad your son is OK now, sorry that he had to suffer. To others: Check everything that has dates! I watch people shopping, just throwing anything into the basket, not giving so much as a glance at the expiration dates. I probably carry things to the extreme but using this morning as an example, I bought some yogurt. The containers in front were dated today, March 26. So I reached way in the back (and had to remove several containers from the front) and found the same yogurt dated April 21. I have already ate the yogurt (which Persi finished for me) so I suppose I was crazy for reaching back to get the one dated April 21 when I knew I was going to eat it today. But I do the same thing with anything on the shelf with a date. I always get the box or bag or bottle of something that has the date as far in the future as I can get it. This does not bother me, I do not feel like I am depriving anybody of anything since so many people give not a single thought to the dates on things they buy. I ended up in the emergency room once because of not paying attention to the date on a bottle of V8. It is too bad that something bad has to happen to make people aware. Don't let it happen to you, check dates!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your son is ok too.

There is a grocery store here (in Texas) that will give you the product for free if you find something with an expired date on their shelves. One of my sisters in law likes shopping there because she gets many products for free and thereby saves alot on her grocery bill. I wouldn't feel comfortable shopping at a place that stocks so many expired items...even if they give you a good product of the same kind for free.

Hilda>^..^<