How Many..?

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is too many? i currently have three cats and 17 rats. and yes i typed that correctly. i live in a decent sized one bedroom apt with my husband and animals. i have currently thought of adopting a parrot from a local shelter. would this be too many animals to have in a one bed? my husband seems to think so, but i say the more the better as i am an animal lover and hate to see animals homeless or in shelters that can't possibly give them the love they deserve.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends. Can you afford a bird? Do you have space for the cage? What happens if the cats try to attack the bird in the cage, can you close the bird & cage off in a seperate room?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have room to allow the bird 2-4 hours of freedom from the cage daily?
They need this for both physical and mental wellbeing.

Shelter bird likely has some issues, most rescue birds do.
Do you have the time to devote to the one on one thie bird is going to need?

Personally, unless it's a very small parrot like a cockatiel I would say you haven't the room.
Most parrot species are extremely active and need a very large cage.

My 12 inch Macaw is in a 2ft x 2.5ft x 5ft, the absolute minimum for his size, but he spends most of the day out of his cage.
The more time spent in the cage, the bigger the cage needs to be.
Bird cages take up a lot more room than you think and most bird cages from pet stores are cruelly small for the species they reccomend them for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, i use to have a sun conure a few years back, and i still have her cage which she picked out herself and was recommended for an african grey. i was thinking of getting another conure. and yes i have the time, since i am on medical leave. and i know that the cats would have a feild day while the bird is out playing. they got a baby rat who had escaped the cage.
but it is their nature. i'll just have to keep a close eye on them. and yes, i have the room for the cage and the playground my husband built.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the room, the time and the resources, I say go meet the bird, see what kind, if any issues it may have and go from there.

What kind of bird is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i haven't decided yet, they have several to choose from, i thought i would go down and see which one wanted to come home with me.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JusticeLynn

is too many? i currently have three cats and 17 rats. and yes i typed that correctly. i live in a decent sized one bedroom apt with my husband and animals. i have currently thought of adopting a parrot from a local shelter. would this be too many animals to have in a one bed? my husband seems to think so, but i say the more the better as i am an animal lover and hate to see animals homeless or in shelters that can't possibly give them the love they deserve.
I think you should respect your husband's opinion. Sounds like he is already a patient person, sleeping with three cats and 17 rats. He must be pretty special.

Plus, if you're home on medical leave, you may need to cut back on the pets and concentrate on taking care of yourself.

just my thoughts on the matter

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE rats I've had 3 of them. But they al lhave passed away. And i am considering getting more of them. Do you have any pics?

I think if you have the time and energy for another animal, then go for it.

You should consider getting one from a shelter