Spring Cleaning Part I.....Storage closet...

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today we started the spring cleaning. My mother says "how long could it possibly take to clean a 2 bedroom apartment?" Um, a LONG time. We have 5 animals, 4 cats and 1 dog, so there is hair hiding in EVERYTHING. The apartment itself is kind of ghetto, so I aim to wash down every floor, wall and baseboard in the place. And, my boyfriend is a packrat, so there is crap everywhere. I want to get rid of, donate, throw out, or reorganize everything so that there is a place for the stuff (hopefully not a lot) that we decide to keep. At this point, it's so frustrating because we can't put everything away...there just isn't room!!!!

We've decided to try to do one room every day we have off together. If we tackle the mess as a team, it'll be faster and I won't "accidentally" throw out something he absolutely must keep.....you know, like a magazine from 1995 or something.

Today, we started small....sort of. A small room, the storage closet. I forgot to take a before picture, but it would have just looked like an open door and a wall of junk, because you couldn't have fit another thing in that room. It was literally filled to the door with junk piled on more junk. So, while the room was small, the job was big. It took us just over 3 hours, but WE DID IT!!!!!

So, here are the finished results.......

George, checking out a room he probably didn't even realize existed...

The shelves have boxes and tools on them, instead of just being decorative!

"Look, Addie!!!! You can see the floor!" PS don't mind the stains, they'll never come out and the crappy tile isn't worth scouring....did I mention we live in an pit of an apartment building?

Stay tuned for next week's installment, complete with before and after shots..........The Spare Bedroom

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats and a one bedroom. I hate this dumb apartment and I cant wait to move from it in may. Im the packrat andwe have two closets absolutely stuffed. Im afraid to open one of them
I think I might have the christmas paper fall on me!

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dont_eat_bambi

I have four cats and a one bedroom. I hate this dumb apartment and I cant wait to move from it in may. Im the packrat andwe have two closets absolutely stuffed. Im afraid to open one of them
I think I might have the christmas paper fall on me!

GOOD LUCK!!!
I threw out some christmas paper today! lol I know it's a huge job, but ignoring it hasn't helped, so I guess it's time to bite the bullet. I said "Won't you feel so much better when it's all done?" and my boyfriend said "It doesn't bother me. But at least when it's done, YOU won't be so cranky." I think he could sit here while a mountain of garbage piled up around him and as long as he can see the tv and use his computer, he'd be fine with it!

Sounds like you'll have to do quite a bit of preparation and packing before your big move!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you for posting this! You're an inspiration! I have a similar job awaiting me when I move back into my apartment (having lived with my parents awhile, due to my father's illness).

Your pictures look great, and I heartily congratulate you. Keep us updated! You're giving me hope that there may actually be a light at the end of the tunnel...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, thank you for posting this! You're an inspiration! I have a similar job awaiting me when I move back into my apartment (having lived with my parents awhile, due to my father's illness).

Your pictures look great, and I heartily congratulate you. Keep us updated! You're giving me hope that there may actually be a light at the end of the tunnel...
Sorry about your father.

I, too, am looking for light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel is long! We still have to do the spare bedroom, our bedroom, the bathroom, the other 3 hall closets, the living room, the kitchen and lastly, the balcony because by then it'll be outside weather!

We're just going to do one room every day we have off, which is usually weekends. It's going to take about a month before we're through, but I'd rather do it slowly than try to do it all and get burnt out and frustrated. I'd probably have a fit and just leave.

I will definitely post before and after pictures of the spare room next weekend!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still working at getting the construction dust out of my house. I dust, vacuum, wash and the dust just settles back onto everything. But I do have a big pile of stuff ready to donate to a charity.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, don't worry -- my father is fine!
He's 85, but he keeps on ticking like a timex, by golly! In fact, just last week, he signed a contract to have his first book published by Kent State University Press in Ohio. So he's doing great now!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a total purge last year...it's so gratifying to reclaim space! Good job!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to do spring cleaning too.

Maybe I will do that the next time my husband goes offshore. I really need to get in my daughters old room and clean it. I think I am gonna turn that into a nursery for my new grandbaby.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took in a large load of stuff on Friday to Goodwill, but still have to find a home to a printer. I have a hugh bag of mismatched bedsheets to go to a lady on freecycle. I have been pretty ruthless on getting rid of stuff!!