Can some kind of worm/parasite cause dander??

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ummm... My 14 yr. old cat who is treated for hyerthyroidisim has developed really bad dander on her back, well really it's on the base of her tail in that area the most.

Hubby was looking at her and took off her what he thinks is a tiny worm I mean small. He said it was moving slowly, i watched it on his finger and did not see it move, but he says he saw it move, I do believe him.

I can't see anything else and I don't see anything coming out her rearend.

Any ideas???????? BTW...she is a strictly indoor cat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luvs2Be

Hubby was looking at her and took off her what he thinks is a tiny worm I mean small. He said it was moving slowly, i watched it on his finger and did not see it move, but he says he saw it move, I do believe him.
ewww, he touched it?!!

The hyperthyroidism could be causing the dander, but worms do leech nutrients from their hosts. Take her in to see that vet.
The vet will need to weigh her for the correct wormer dosage and could check the skin then. Dry skin can also be caused by diet as well. Since your cat is being treated for hyperthyroidism you'll probably want to talk to the vet before you change any food you're currently feeding.

Don't try to medicate with an over the counter worm medicine. With your cat's condition and the fact that most of these medicines do not work and can even be harmful, it's best just to take her to the vet. (Not that I'm assuming you would, by the way. Just a general advisory
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Strange-wings

Yea he touched it...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I had her levels checked a few months ago they said all was fine
....Now she did not have a dander problem before the thyroid thing came along, after we started treating her for the thyroid it disappeared, not it's just really, really bad.
I just don't get it.
I have checked her furn and skin, and I see nothing but dander and she does not scratch a lot at all, ya know like something is crawling on her, her behaviour is the same.........she still drinks from the toilet

I won't treat her with any OTC meds, cause I don't know what it is....with her age and thyroid I don't fool around with that....I want her to live a nice long life

I will try to call the vet after work tomorrow..I am actually thinking of switching vets to the one I take the guinea pig to... they are so pleasent........I don't really care for the folks where i have been taking kitty.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luvs2Be

I will try to call the vet after work tomorrow..I am actually thinking of switching vets to the one I take the guinea pig to... they are so pleasent........I don't really care for the folks where i have been taking kitty.
If you feel more comfortable at another vet and know they can treat your cat well, you might as well switch. You may have to stop by your cat's current vet and get her medical information, or call the other vet and ask them to get the records. That way they'll know what medications she's on, dosages, and past treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea I thought of that, it's kind of a pain but.........I find that everytime I need her vet for something, I end up getting aggravated with them.

They were not the ones to even diangose or treat her for the hyperthyroidisim in the 1st place...not that it's there fauly. But my sylvester was having bad siezures and it was a holiday weekend, so i had to get her to an ER vet....dang they are exspensive
But i feel they saved her life.

So yea I will call tomorrow, and see what they say.

Last time I had kitty;s levels checked, it cost me $139.00..........does that sound reasonable.

Sorry I rambled

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to ramble too

$139 doesn't sound so bad. I averaged $118 per visit since December for just basic stuff, shots and worming, neutering, Sho's bout of diarrhea.

Good luck calling tomorrow.