weight loss

manyfourpaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First I want to thank all those who responded to my kidney failure question.My baby, Tinker, is now taking fluids with some persuasion and we will keep her healthy. I have another kitty, Clyde, who has hyperthyroid. He is on medication daily but he has lost a lot of weight. He looks so scrawny. He is constantantly eating both wet and dry food. Dry food is Science diet. The wet food was not the recalled brand. Any thought of some food or supplement I could give him to help him gain some weight. He's thyroid levels are good, just checked this month.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know if your vet did a free T4 along with the total T4? It sounds to me like your kitty still has the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Hill's a/d is a good, calorie-dense food to put weight on but I don't think it's usually fed for long periods of time. Did you vet give you any ideas?

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by manyfourpaus

First I want to thank all those who responded to my kidney failure question.My baby, Tinker, is now taking fluids with some persuasion and we will keep her healthy. I have another kitty, Clyde, who has hyperthyroid. He is on medication daily but he has lost a lot of weight. He looks so scrawny. He is constantantly eating both wet and dry food. Dry food is Science diet. The wet food was not the recalled brand. Any thought of some food or supplement I could give him to help him gain some weight. He's thyroid levels are good, just checked this month.
I agree, it could be a medication issue. My PJ had lost 4 pounds, and it took a while to put it back on, mostly because we were giving her methimazole transdermally, and she just wasn't getting enough. We switched to liquid that we mix in her food, and had to adjust the dose 2-3 times before we finally got her in the right place.
I don't have any particular food suggestions - for her, it took a long time to get those pounds back (actually, she's still a little less than she used to weigh).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manyfourpaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From the lab work I have it looks like only a T4 has been done.
We have an appt first of April and I will ask him Thanks