Slim Fast...Any success?

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I was just browsing some of our old weightloss and exercise threads and didn't see anything about slim fast. I know most people who try this diet do not use it correctly. For the weight range I'm in it recommends having 2 slimfast combo meals a day (one meal bar or shake along with something light and healthy like half a turkey sandwich = a combo) and 2 snacks (fruits and vegetables) and a sensible meal of my choice for dinner.
That puts me at a healthy calorie intake for the day as long as I don't deviate from the plan. What I'm wondering is has anyone had any success with SlimFast? I've seen the commercials and such but haven't talked to anyone that has actually used it.

Also I just wanted to check up on how everyone is doing with their goals, be they weightloss, health changes, or exercise. I hope you all are doing much better than I am! I've got to find a way to stay motivated.

I think I found the way though, I burnt my tongue severely on hot tea so it hurts to eat anything right now. You see, if I keep my tongue burnt I will not eat so badly!
Also, trying on swimsuits (in the privacy of my own home of course) and seeing all the jiggly and bumpy parts is motivation!!!

So how are you all doing? Any great successes? Any misery stories?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it several years ago. The one thing I remember is the shakes DID NOT fill me up. The bars were pretty good (both snack and meal) though about lasting in my stomach.

I would recommend the weight watchers though. While Slim Fast did help me lose weight, it didn't teach me the proper eating habits (which I somehow lost again lately). WW does this so even if you go off of WW, you're trained into thinking what you can and shouldn't eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, the sad thing is, I know the calorie, protein, carb, sat.fat, etc. count of almost everything and know exactly what is healthy and balanced, but when I give myself that much leniency, I make allowances that I KNOW I shouldn't.
So I am wanting to try something with a little more 'ready made' meals but that also still has some wiggle room to adjust to my schedule and habits. I can't afford to try nutrisystem, though I've heard wonderful feedback on that program.

**Thanks for the heads up on the shakes, I hadn't tried them yet, I just picked up the fudge brownie meal bars that you are suppose to eat with something else light, and they are supposed to keep you full for 4 hrs. They taste great, today is the first day of trying them. I had one with a yogurt at 7:30 for breakfast and I'm still okay.

QUESTION: Does pot roast, veggies, and a salad count as a 'sensible' meal ya think? I'm gonna have that for lunch and then for dinner tonight a meal bar and small piece of grilled chicken.
(With Fruit, light cheese, and carrot sticks as snacks through the day)

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost 4 kilograms in the last two weeks. and this is by substituing dinner with fruit, it is hard, and infact there only been one night where i went to bed hungry and i couldnt sleep so i got up and ate half a tin of tuna.

I have cut out a carbohydrate completely for the last two weeks and thats potatoes, It is really hard, and infact to make a difference i am not going to buy my monthly card next month so i literally have to walk EVERYWHERE!!!!!

One of my students told me about slimfast, and he told me they werent a good company, he has this other product but i dont know if its any good?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I have lost 4 kilograms in the last two weeks. and this is by substituing dinner with fruit, it is hard, and infact there only been one night where i went to bed hungry and i couldnt sleep so i got up and ate half a tin of tuna.
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!! You must be soooooo proud of yourself.

As for the Slimfast.... I've never used it for weight loss but at one point bought some of the shakes for a healthy ready-made breakfast. IMO (and I'm a fussy eater so I might not be the best judge) they were disgusting. I ended up having to get rid of the majority of them.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrm, I will stay away from the shakes I think. :p I like the bars, so perhaps that's where I'll use the system most.

And WAY TO GO FRAN!!!!! Woohoo! I bet it feels wonderful to be successful at shedding some weight, I wish I could be in that boat with you, lol. Cheers to your willpower for substituting fruit for dinner. It IS very hard to make changes like that, but I keep telling myself it's purely mental, I just have to retrain myself. I am tired of jumping on and off the healthy bandwagon and am trying to stay on track this time and take better care of my body.
I tell myself that I am an intelligent, witty, and amazing person (and obviously conceited too, haha!) so all of that stuff should show on the outside too, your external appearance should ideally be a reflection of your internal self and so I'm trying to make them more equal, lol, and treat my body the way it deserves. (Although right now it's telling me it deserves cheesecake, cookies, and icecream!)

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been maintaining for a while now. I managed to lose 17lbs and fluncuate(sp??) between 15-17lb loss. School, work and family are just too crazy right now, but I'll be done school on May 11th, so after that, I'm going to get back outside and start doing my 4 mile walks again
and more time to cook from scratch and count calories again *sigh* I can't wait!

I'm hoping to loose 5+ lbs (best case senario 10 lbs/month) a month from may to sept.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first three ingredients in Slim-Fast are skim milk, sugar, and fructose. That's milk, sugar, and sugar.

My advice is to cut out refined and artificial foods (refined flours, sugars, artificial flavors and colors, and especially no artifical sugar, which can help you gain weight!).

Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, meats, and "real" things like a little butter. Eat small portions, and eat only when you are hungry (which might be every two hours if the portions are small). You will lose weight and feel good, and get healthier at the same time.

Substituting sugar for a meal is never going to work well. Joining Weight Watchers might be a good option because they teach nutrition and portion control (they do us artificial sugars which I would REALLY stay away from). I wish you luck!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes im happy with the scales .. lol but unfortunately i always bloat up for a week each month and its a pain in the butt, i went for an hour and a half walk through my area with a friend this afternoon, and it wasnt enough for me although she was about to drop! we went on the sea saw, and everyone laughed at us but it was so fun and got some pics of us being silly... I might upload them to show you!

Anyway, if you want to lose weight youre able to do it!!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreeing with SwampWitch for sure...drinking shakes as meal replacements is just not a healthy way to go about it.

As for Slimfast...I've never tried it although my dear hubby likes them. I heard a comedian do a skit about Slimfast that I thought was hilarious!!! It went something like:

...if you have a shake for breakfast and a shake for lunch how the heck can you be thinking about anything sensible by dinnertime???...

Since its been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I sure wouldn't want to start my off with a shake. I used to work out with Bodies In Motion (on ESPN) and their idea was to take the food pyramid and turn it upside down when thinking about meal sizes...with the largest part of the pyramid(triangle)on the top and the smallest on the bottom. In other words, have your biggest meal at breakfasttime...giving you the rest of the day to use up the calories you consumed then. Your lunch shouldn't be as big but a bit smaller. Then dinner should be the smallest meal of the day.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Hilda>^..^<

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm that is interesting...now that you mention ingrediants....I used to drink Nestle Carnation Breakfast Antimes drinks for breaky...mainly for the protein, but I don't think I read the ingrediants....it just so happened I have a box left and it is skim milk powder, sugar, cocoa, oligofructose/inulin......hmmm IDK what to quickly have for breaky....

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try eating two bowls of cereal (the good kind)w/skim milk instead of Slim Fast or other stuff "food" as meal replacers??

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...everyone might laugh but...I am heavily involved with coaching in the pageantry industry here in South Carolina - infact, my last titleholder won Miss South Carolina last July and was the overall swimsuit winner as well!!

I'm now coaching/training another young lady for the state title in July who has dropped an incredible amount of weight through dieting and exercise.

Her diet is: Fruit, Grilled Chicken, Steamed Vegetables, Butter (it really is good for you), Water, Diet Drinks, Protein Bars (3x day - whenever you feel hungry between meals eat these), Almonds (nuts etc).

She eats her three meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner every day and a light snack in between breakfast, lunch and dinner. She doesn't eat after 7:30 any night.

She does weight training 4x week and cardio every day but one for at least 45 minutes.

Of course she also recently graduated from college and is putting all her free-time into preparing for the state pageant.

My diet is a little different from hers. I only eat the three meals a day: fruit, chicken, steak, water, almonds, etc.

I also exercise everyday but Saturday - that is MY day...everyone should have ONE day where they eat what they want, drink what they want, whatever.

I do weight training every other day - 3 sets of 10 on each machine. And I also do cardio every day. In fact...I'm about to go walking/jogging in our beautiful 85 degree weather as we speak!!!

I've lost weight and inches and my partner is dramatically decreasing in size!

On the other side of things...my best friend has lost 60 lbs from WW and her father has lost 214 lbs! WW does work really well as long as you are dedicated and do what you should - however, its also very lenient and you can eat pretty much whatever, within reason.

My mother has tried SlimFast and it didn't work for her at all. She has done a lot of insane diets and unfortunately I believe it has screwed up her metabolism BADLY!

Just be smart about what you eat and how much you eat - moderation is always the key - and exercise whatever you can; walk, jog, run, weight training, etc.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww guys you all so completely burst my bubble, haha! Alright, I was looking for an easier fix than forcing myself to monitor 'freestyle foods' better, but I am going to have to. I know what I need to do, cut out the sugar, but that is the hardest part for me. I don't drink soda or eat chips or any fast food, I do eat a lot of pasta, bread products, and sweets though. I have got to cut out most all desserts and I'll probably see a difference.

Is the weightloss support thread still running? I should be writing in that thing daily so that I have to be more accountable for my food choices, because I can self rationalize the heck out of things. Lol.
And none of my friends want to do what I'm doing, and the ones who do work out we have too different of schedules to sync them.

Anyone here interested in helping keep eachother motivated?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

The first three ingredients in Slim-Fast are skim milk, sugar, and fructose. That's milk, sugar, and sugar.

My advice is to cut out refined and artificial foods (refined flours, sugars, artificial flavors and colors, and especially no artifical sugar, which can help you gain weight!).

Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, eggs, meats, and "real" things like a little butter. Eat small portions, and eat only when you are hungry (which might be every two hours if the portions are small). You will lose weight and feel good, and get healthier at the same time.

Substituting sugar for a meal is never going to work well. Joining Weight Watchers might be a good option because they teach nutrition and portion control (they do us artificial sugars which I would REALLY stay away from). I wish you luck!
I agree... this is how I lost about 100lbs.

WW is good program because you can teach yourself new eating habbits.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I agree... this is how I lost about 100lbs.

WW is good program because you can teach yourself new eating habbits.
WOW! That is amazing! 100 lbs? Congratulations, that my dear is a wonderful accomplishment!