Gay cats?

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there such a thing? I'd probably guess so.

I know that many times, cats whether male or female will exhibit dominant behaviours by mounting a particular rivalry or even other animals not related to their species. This behavior isn't necessarily sexual.

However, there also has been some evidence leading scientist to believe homosexuality could be prevelant in animals as well.

Here is an article I read recently over this topic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...gayanimal.html

What do ya'll think?

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I'd imagine that there are gay cats out there. I know there are other species out there who exhibit homosexual behavior, like those penguins that were in the news for exactly that a few years ago.

I do know that my grandparents' dog, Fido, was gay. I've heard stories from my Dad, but never witnessed it for myself because Fido was 19 and incredibly cantankerous by the time I came to know him.

Tricia

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This goes right along with the discovery that there are physiological differences between the brains of straight and gay people, and the theory that sexual orientation may be determined by the timing and intensity of a particular flood of hormones that occurs in utero. Homosexuality is clearly not a choice, any more than heterosexuality is... and I'd be surprised if it did not exist among animals!

Your other point is also very true, though -- that homosexual behavior (real or simulated) is often used among animals as a show of dominance/submissiveness. And you can see something rather similar in most office settings.

The links and parallels between animal behaviorism and human psychology are fascinating, aren't they? This is one of the fields that make me wish I could afford to go back to school...

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I read or heard somewhere a couple of years ago that animals definitely can be gay; I just can't remember where I read it, but why shouldn't they be... mammals are mammals!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penguins and birds are well known for same-sex relationships, my mother had two male cats that often 'enjoyed each others company' and after a postman accidently killed one the other seemingly died of a broken heart

I'm sure God has a plan for us all

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Penguins and birds are well known for same-sex relationships, my mother had two male cats that often 'enjoyed each others company' and after a postman accidently killed one the other seemingly died of a broken heart

I'm sure God has a plan for us all
Wow, that is very interesting. Are you saying what I think your saying about them enjoying eachothers company?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Originally Posted by silentNate

my mother had two male cats that often 'enjoyed each others company' and after a postman accidently killed one the other seemingly died of a broken heart
Wow, that is very interesting. Are you saying what I think your saying about them enjoying eachothers company?
My grandmother had a couple of neutered male cats that were rather.... uh..'fond' of each other. The first time I walked into a room and saw that I was completely shocked, I pretty much
and backed out of the room.

rumberg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know we had a gay bull once at my parents farm. Took us a year to figure out we were not getting any calves. Apparently, according to my dad there are a certain percentage of bulls that end up being gay. Go figure huh.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe there are gay pets of some species but not gay cats. In cats sex is purely functional and driven by hormones. They may form close friendships with cats of the same sex, of course, but that's not being gay.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I have the same opinion about gay cats as I do about gay humans. I just do not care. I try to treat all humans and cats the same. (Except mine of course!)

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My grandmother had a couple of neutered male cats that were rather.... uh..'fond' of each other. The first time I walked into a room and saw that I was completely shocked, I pretty much
and backed out of the room.
Im sorry but that made me laugh, brightened up my rubbish day!!!

Claire
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx