weeing all over the flat??

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi all

just want to know if there is any remedy for Heidi who has taken up weeing all over the flat. she normally goes into the toilet and wees on the bath mats but yesterday she went into my daughters room and she weed on her books on the floor.

she has stopped sitting in "come and get me" mode but she is still up at the windows and calling out, she is still very affectionate too.

any ideas as why she is now doing this as she always uses her litter box since the day she came to us.

thanks
angela

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she using her litterbox at all? If not, then try there are a couple of things you can try. First put her in a room by herself, with some food, water, and her litterbox. At first, you be with her, and when in the room, put her in the litterbox, then let her go roam the room, then after a bit, put her back in the litterbox and go from there. Sooner or later she will use the litterbox. Could also be that the litter you use is not what she wants either, might be hurting her pads on her paws. Why not try a litter that is fine, and not very course. Also you can try a scented litter. You can put an additive into the litter to help attract her too the litterbox as well. Or another hting you can do, is if you have a big flat, is get a couple of more litterboxes, and put them out, might be that the litterbox is too far away for her to use, if you have more available, then if there is one easier available, that might help.
Hope this helps, just a few ideas to try.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My recommendfation would be to first rule out a Urinary Tract Infection before assuming it's behavioral. Inappropriate urination is a classic symptom of a UTI. Once you rule that out, then taking steps to correct a behavioral problem may be more successful. If there is a UTI present, then you won't be able to re-train her to the box and will only end up frustrating yourself and stressing her further.

I've been down this road with my Nala quite a few years back. When I got her into the vet, she had a severe UTI. Once we got that resolved she went back to the litter box with no problem.

Good Luck
!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by afraser1

she has stopped sitting in "come and get me" mode but she is still up at the windows and calling out, she is still very affectionate too.
Is/was she in heat? She could be leaving puddles around so the gents can find her...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Is/was she in heat? She could be leaving puddles around so the gents can find her...
I agree.

2nd significant possibility would be a UTI, as another poster mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

she is in heat but isnt as excuse the word "horny" as she was when i first noticed it. i have her at the vets soon so i will ask them if they know why. she hasnt been doing it today strangely enough so maybe it is just part of her in heat thing.

thanks for all the replys

angela

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Is she using her litterbox at all?

Could also be that the litter you use is not what she wants either, might be hurting her pads on her paws.
yes she is using her litterbox fine always and never has had a problem with it

also i have been using the same litter since the day i got her (catsan) so i dont think it could be that either.

thanks for all your help though