changing diet

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
with this pet food recall my house has been impacted. thankfully the cats are healthy but i took them off of all the food they were eating (recalled) and immediately put them on a safer brand. now my litter pans are full as the cats struggle to adjust to the food. generally, the switch needs to be gradual, a mixture of the old and new food over a period of days. just keeping them hydrated, giving the pedialyte and praying the youngest doesn't dehydrate.

my heart and prayers go out to all of you dealing with this. i have several friends also fighting the fight, moments ago i was informed that one of them lost two of her cats

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully, I have not had to deal with changing diet due to the recall. I am dealing with a change of diet to S/D due to urinary crystals, which presents its own set of problems.

I also want to send positive thoughts to all who are dealing with the recall, especially those whose cats are ill or worse.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This entire situation has made me furious.

I've been feeding our feral shed cat, Buster Brown, Nutro Natural Choice pouches daily for the liquid broth because he doesn't have a consistent water source like our other cats. He was also fed Max cat classics 3 oz. canned and dry Purina 1/Science Diet/Nutro food. Lately another feral, a cute and bold gray and white older kitten we call Skippy, has been eating out of Buster's dish. Skippy ate a packet of the Iams recalled kitten chicken and gravy about five days ago.

I remember seeing some vomit in the snow several weeks ago and at the time Buster was not eating all of his food. When he didn't eat his food rations, I'd bring his dish into the house and put the food in the fridge for the next day. And to think that the food I brought into the house may have been laced with rat poison! It's truly outrageous.
All I can say is that both Buster and Skippy are as of today still alive with good appetites, now eating ProPlan 3 oz. canned food with homemade cooked chicken or a little salmon, and dry food. Instead of the pouch food, I am now adding some water to their ProPlan canned food.

I will never, ever buy those pouches again! My heart and prayers also go out to everyone who has been touched by this horrible tragedy.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NOTE see thread on NON menu food made you wont see Natura
True- Natura canned foods are made in a Menu Foods plant in South Dakota. Their dry foods and treats are made in Natura owned plants. I spoke to a Natura rep last week who confirmed this.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

True- Natura canned foods are made in a Menu Foods plant in South Dakota. Their dry foods and treats are made in Natura owned plants. I spoke to a Natura rep last week who confirmed this.
Yes the dry natura stuff I will use ( well would if anyone needed it
)...

Most of the dry foods are made in company owned plants... this is true For Natura Nutro Science diet Eukanuba .... I beleive Wellness is