How much sleep do you need?

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only got a few hours sleep last night and I am just in this weird zone. I feel so weird and tired. Think I might take a nap! I usually need about 8 hours of sleep for me to feel good and rested! My husband can get just a few hours sleep and be fine! Not me! I need my sleep!!! How much sleep do you get? Is it normal to have to sleep 8 hours?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, first of all, you are assuming that I have some kind of say on how much sleep I get each night. I do not determine how much sleep I get, the cats do! However, since I work from home, I can sneak in a nap in the afternoons. All in all, I get about six hours a day. That is real sleep, not laying there while Alley is laying on my chest with her head snuggled under my chin because I cannot sleep in this position and so as not to disturb her, I usually just reach for a book and read.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need at least 9-10, and I've been getting 6-7 for about 2 weeks now
, due to not adjusting well to daylight savings time coming early, and a new routine with my meds... and staying on here too long...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always exhausted and tired it seems. Yesterday (thankfully) i found out why- my potassium. Now that i've had some of my potassium meds i feel more energetic....but without it- i need at the very least 10 hours and i still feel like i need naps during the day even with that much rest. / Normally though between work and everything else i only get between 5-7 a night- i'm always tired when i do that. When i have foster kittens at my house- i have to feed them around the clock- usually every 2-3 hours- so when that happens- i don't get to sleep straight through the night- i wake up to feed them and sleep around their feeding schedule.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep, depending on how much I wake up during the night. Bad nights (can't stay asleep or hurting) I could sleep 12 hours and still feel beat.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I am always exhausted and tired it seems. Yesterday (thankfully) i found out why- my potassium. Now that i've had some of my potassium meds i feel more energetic....but without it- i need at the very least 10 hours and i still feel like i need naps during the day even with that much rest.
Mine was really low when I had a blood test a couple weeks ago, the GP doctor was supposed to write a prescription for it but never did?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep, depending on how much I wake up during the night. Bad nights (can't stay asleep or hurting) I could sleep 12 hours and still feel beat.

Mine was really low when I had a blood test a couple weeks ago, the GP doctor was supposed to write a prescription for it but never did?
Ask your doctor about taking it. Potassium needs to be closely watched from what i understand if you start taking it. Especially for women who plan to become pregnant or are nursing. Too much is really bad for you and too little is bad for you as well....so you might have to have a blood test to monitor yours every once in a while. They gave me 4 huge potassium pills while i was in the emeregency room yesterday. After that, they sent me home with a prescription for KLOR-CON M10 ER tablets. (the generic of K-Dur 10MEQ SA tablets). I am already starting to feel a bit more energetic. I'm still really weak and all- but i can see a difference in a positive side already since i've started taking a bit of potassium. I've also started eating bananas too- that's supposed to help.
Two more things- you MUST eat something when you take a potassium pill if you don't want to get sick. Don't take it on an empty stomach. Also, you can't lay down for 30 minutes to an hour after taking it because it can make you really nauscious and sick...I'm already seeing a bit of a difference since i left the hospital, so i'm thinking it's working good on me. My potassium level was really really low when i went to the hospital.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Left to make my own schedule, I would easily sleep 12 hours every night, with a nap every other day or so. I LOVE to sleep, and I never feel like I've had enough, but I adjust to less sleep if I can butt out of bed enough days in a row to get used to it. I think it's a rebound effect from when I had insomnia for a year.

Maybe I should get my potassium checked, too. Or just eat a few bananas.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I only got a few hours sleep last night and I am just in this weird zone. I feel so weird and tired. Think I might take a nap! I usually need about 8 hours of sleep for me to feel good and rested! My husband can get just a few hours sleep and be fine! Not me! I need my sleep!!! How much sleep do you get? Is it normal to have to sleep 8 hours?
I normally get 8 hours a night too
I feel really beat if I don't.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I do not determine how much sleep I get, the cats do!
Same here! I have no idea what it feels like to get 8 hours sleep a night. All I know is I don't get enough and am very tired all the time
I get about 5-6 hours a night. I can't blame the cats entirely as sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I could be in bed trying to sleep now as the cats have had their supper and are both quiet but instead I'm reading posts on here

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get 8+, and 8 is what I've read is recommended. Though sometimes I think I get too much sleep. I'll wake up, feel like maybe I should get up, but because it's still early, I go back to bed and then feel lousy when I get up a few hours later.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ask your doctor about taking it. Potassium needs to be closely watched from what i understand if you start taking it.
He was going to prescribe it and have me in the next week for another blood test, guess he forgot. I do start psychical therapy next week so it probably would help my energy level.. and the dizziness.

I've also started eating bananas too- that's supposed to help.
Two more things- you MUST eat something when you take a potassium pill if you don't want to get sick. Don't take it on an empty stomach. Also, you can't lay down for 30 minutes to an hour after taking it because it can make you really nauscious and sick..
eww bananas

I already have to eat before taking my anti-inflammatory, I can't lay down after I take them either.

Maybe I missed something, what where you in the hospital for? I hope you're feeling better now.

Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Though sometimes I think I get too much sleep. I'll wake up, feel like maybe I should get up, but because it's still early, I go back to bed and then feel lousy when I get up a few hours later.
I call that a sleep hangover.
I'm sure someone on here knows why too much sleep makes you feel sick.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
7 is perfect. If I get less than 5 I feel sleepy. Less than 3 and I feel sick.

I suffer from insomnia sometimes and I have gone to work a few times with NO sleep. I function, but am not happy at all.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need more than 8, but don't always get that. I try not to drink caffine either.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am always exhausted and tired it seems. Yesterday (thankfully) i found out why- my potassium. Now that i've had some of my potassium meds i feel more energetic....but without it- i need at the very least 10 hours and i still feel like i need naps during the day even with that much rest. / Normally though between work and everything else i only get between 5-7 a night- i'm always tired when i do that. When i have foster kittens at my house- i have to feed them around the clock- usually every 2-3 hours- so when that happens- i don't get to sleep straight through the night- i wake up to feed them and sleep around their feeding schedule.
hmm I should get my potassium checked. I could easily sleep 12 + hours

Originally Posted by Godiva

Left to make my own schedule, I would easily sleep 12 hours every night, with a nap every other day or so. I LOVE to sleep, and I never feel like I've had enough, but I adjust to less sleep if I can butt out of bed enough days in a row to get used to it. I think it's a rebound effect from when I had insomnia for a year.

Maybe I should get my potassium checked, too. Or just eat a few bananas.
Ewww bananas...... I LOVE LOVE LOVE sleep too.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most people on here sound like me! I'm so happy to find so many other people who can understand that I NEED to sleep like 10 hours a night.
So many nights I'll find myself crawling into bed at like 6:00. I feel so bad doing it as I feel I spend my entire life asleep, but often I just can't keep myself awake. What's the point in forcing yourself to stay awake anyway?