Wireless and Vista?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, please bare in mind I`m pretty thick when It comes to computers but heres my question.

I use the works computer which is in the office round the back of my flat.
Not far to go but I`m thinking of getting my own laptop so I dont have to trapse backwards and forwards for potty-breaks, drinks, check Kitty...
Went to PC World and saw one in my price range that comes with Windows Vista.
I thought if I got a wireless 'thingy' for the office computer (It did have a Livebox but the wires came loose and it was a real pain) then I could use the internet without having the phone line put on in my flat (Quote was for £130!) and I could go halves on the office bill.
BUT the wireless unit said it isn`t compatible with Windows Vista.
Why is that? Is it because it`s new. Do you think it will be compatible soon?
The other option is to put an adapter on this phone line and some how run it into my flat.
I`m starting to think I may not get it after all!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have one with XP (many still do but aren't advertising them as much) perhaps you want to go with that, other than that, I am sure there are wireless routers out there that work with Vista and it won't be long before there are many more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I may have to get XP.
Don`t you have to get the router from the company that supplies your internet whatdyamercallit? I only looked at their one because I wasn`t sure if you could just buy one from anywhere and use that.
Thanks for your help!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can by a router at almost any tech/electronics store.

Vista is very new and right now there are many software and hardware items that don't work with it unfortunately. That will change as more people upgrade and it becomes more mainstream.

For now XP may be best until they work out all the kinks with Vista. Although my mom has Vista and LOVES it. They layout and the navigation she likes much better.

I bet if you look again for routers you can find one that is compatible, but ultimately the decision between XP and Vista is up to you.

Good luck!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh! I didn`t know that! Should have asked in PC World but was in a bit of a daze after getting all the sales schpeel!
Some people said on anouther forum also that there were still a few glitches that needed ironing out and as I`m kinda familiar with xp it would probably be better to stick with that for now.

I have anouther question, which is gonna sound really dumb but I`ve never had my own computer

If you use a router does the computer your linked to have to be switched on all the time? You know, the tower thingy?
I really need to get that Computers For Dummies so I stop embarrassing myself!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Oooh! I didn`t know that! Should have asked in PC World but was in a bit of a daze after getting all the sales schpeel!
Some people said on anouther forum also that there were still a few glitches that needed ironing out and as I`m kinda familiar with xp it would probably be better to stick with that for now.

I have anouther question, which is gonna sound really dumb but I`ve never had my own computer

If you use a router does the computer your linked to have to be switched on all the time? You know, the tower thingy?
I really need to get that Computers For Dummies so I stop embarrassing myself!
Oh no worries - I am a technology teacher in an elementary school so I help teachers with this kind of stuff all the time. You'd never believe some of the questions I get!!!

Hopefully I am understanding your question. Your router will work with your internet provider to get a signal wirelessly. In our house we have the router hooked up to my husband's desktop computer but I don't think it has to be like that. There is a chip inside the computer that will take all the information from your internet provider and the router and bring that signal to your laptop. Does that make any sense as all? So as long as your router is turned on and your internet is turned on (cable, DSL, etc...) and your computer is turned on then you'll have internet.

Of course this only works in the immediate location where the router is. You can go across town and get the internet.

Feel free to keep the questions coming if you have more!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

Oh no worries - I am a technology teacher in an elementary school so I help teachers with this kind of stuff all the time. You'd never believe some of the questions I get!!! :lol
Ha ha ha haaa! Good! Its too embarrassing to ask in the shop because they would tell me the answer and I`d forget by the time I get outside!
Yes, that makes sense, what you said.
I`m thinking wireless would be best. Oh lordy it`s making my brain ache now!

It`s either that or get my phone line put on but I think it would be a whole lot cheaper to go wireless then haggle with the landlord about how much I pay. Hmmm. Better start buttering him up!

Thank you for helping me!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now just remember if you go wireless you will also need a internet service provider to provide you with the internet access. Again if you have more questions feel free to post here or send a PM!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she wants to go wireless as much as buy a wireless router for the business (?) she has been borrowing internet from and use their signal from her own apartment?

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I don't think she wants to go wireless as much as buy a wireless router for the business (?) she has been borrowing internet from and use their signal from her own apartment?
Thanks for clearing that up - I was a little confused about that part.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now `i`m confused!
I`m using the buisness computer in the office at the back of my flat BUT I want to but my own laptop and conect a router to the office computer so I dont have to get mt phone line connected and I can share the office bill.
Sorry!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what I thought

In that case, the ISP will supply a modem/router that, depending on the kind of internet, may or may not need the tower on in the office. If it is broadband/cable, the internet is always on regardless of the computer. If it is a phoneline connections (DSL or dial up) this may not be the case, you would have to check with them.

Then unless it has wireless built in (mine does but we run two XP computers) you will need to run a cable from it to a wireless router (which you can pick up in PC World etc) which will then send the signal to your laptop.

I know back home the modem/routers are slightly different from the ones here as my sister needed to buy a new one when she switched internet so tell the sales person in PC World what kind of internet you have and they can help you choose one

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I`m going to drag someone along with me who`s a bit more knowledgeable next time. Pretty sure this one is just connected through the phone line.
It`s so confusing!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!
It took a while but it`s all up and running and no problems so far.
Ended up getting Vista and got a great deal as I took someone who likes to beat them down on their prices

I love it!