I need help in killing something

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need to kill some very cute field mice they are in my garage and they need to leave ... Any homemade lethal to mice not to dogs cats or human???

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

I need to kill some very cute field mice they are in my garage and they need to leave ... Any homemade lethal to mice not to dogs cats or human???
Well whatever you do, just make sure it's humane.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah the humane part of it ... letting a poor creature get killed by my animals is not humane since it is in a confined area

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll send Tiger over... you won't have that problem in about 2 hours..
Tiger's known to catch fruit mice/rats and drop them on the hood of my truck or in the bed

I would get a live trap.....

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yeah the humane part of it ... letting a poor creature get killed by my animals is not humane since it is in a confined area
I know cats killing mice and other small creatures is almost unavoidable, but whenever I see a creature in danger, I always try to put it out of harm's way no matter what it is.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I'll send Tiger over... you won't have that problem in about 2 hours..
Tiger's known to catch fruit mice/rats and drop them on the hood of my truck or in the bed

i would need alot ... I saw threee little cuties ( aww they are cute) on the garage patio

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Are you talking about mice traps?

If so, do NOT buy them; they are horribly inhumane!

i would need alot ... I saw threee little cuties ( aww they are cute) on the garage patio
I don't understand. You obviously aren't disgusted or afraid of mice as you are calling them "cute," so if they are that much of a pest, why not just try to catch them? I hope that is what was meant by a "live" trap. If so, that'd be a good idea. You could then release them in some field.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will likely pick up a live type trap if I can afford them... I just want them out of my dwelling

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Helga06

Are you talking about mice traps?

If so, do NOT buy them; they are horribly inhumane!

I don't understand. You obviously aren't disgusted or afraid of mice as you are calling them "cute," so if they are that much of a pest, why not just try to catch them? I hope that is what was meant by a "live" trap. If so, that'd be a good idea. You could then release them in some field.
Live trap = Humane trap ...same thing. The mouse doesn't get hurt. It lives.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do you have to kill them? Why can't you get a live trap and release them. Just because they are mice does not mean they have to die.

One thing you can do is get a big bucket, about a 5 gallon one. Put a ruler or something that can create a ramp leading up to it. Place some food in the bottom of the bucket and wait. Mice are very curious and will run up the ramp look in a fall into the bucket. I tried it years ago when one of my mice escaped. It took a few hours but it did work.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Why do you have to kill them? Why can't you get a live trap and release them. Just because they are mice does not mean they have to die.

One thing you can do is get a big bucket, about a 5 gallon one. Put a ruler or something that can create a ramp leading up to it. Place some food in the bottom of the bucket and wait. Mice are very curious and will run up the ramp look in a fall into the bucket. I tried it years ago when one of my mice escaped. It took a few hours but it did work.
That is a idea

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should have put I need help getting rid of... I will kill if needed but I am trying the bucket idea

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would trap them and release them somewhere else. Got any fields or similar around?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just let them live there... its cold out there and a hassle to make them look for a new home, how would you feel like it if someone thought you were a pest and tried to capture you to either kill you or to dump you out somewhere else to be someone elses problem??

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't send my girls. I had a mouse in my basement and Cleo and Maggie tortured it for days on end...literally catching and releasing it, over and over. I set a trap for it (in another room, behind a closed door) and I fully believe it threw itself on the trap to avoid more of the girls' 'play'. Sure wish I had heard of the bucket idea back then. I found the place where it came in and caulked it closed, so I've never had a repeat problem. It still kind of bothers me that I had to kill it

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While mice are indeed "cute" and look cuddly, anything outside of a breeder or cage in general is NOT and they carry diseases. What happens if you just let them live around your house and one of your kitties gets a paw on one who is carrying some sort of particularly vicious sickness?

I guess I don't really "get" the outpouring of mousey love here. I don't have a problem with them "in the wild" but wouldn't want my animals having access to them, and so the risk would make it worth it to me to dispose of them. Live trapping sounds great on the surface, but unless you dump them out very far away from your home, chances are that they or their grandmice will make their way back to your home eventually... and if not to your home, into someone else's who might not think to dispose of them in a humane way.

As far as how would I feel... well, I'm not a pest species (unless you ask the critters living in the rain forest) and so I wouldn't know. But this is the order of things. Mice are not exactly underpopulated.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenje!

While mice are indeed "cute" and look cuddly, anything outside of a breeder or cage in general is NOT and they carry diseases. What happens if you just let them live around your house and one of your kitties gets a paw on one who is carrying some sort of particularly vicious sickness?

I guess I don't really "get" the outpouring of mousey love here. I don't have a problem with them "in the wild" but wouldn't want my animals having access to them, and so the risk would make it worth it to me to dispose of them. Live trapping sounds great on the surface, but unless you dump them out very far away from your home, chances are that they or their grandmice will make their way back to your home eventually... and if not to your home, into someone else's who might not think to dispose of them in a humane way.

As far as how would I feel... well, I'm not a pest species (unless you ask the critters living in the rain forest) and so I wouldn't know. But this is the order of things. Mice are not exactly underpopulated.
I have to agree with this. In the home, mice are VERY destructive. We lived in the county and had a mouse problem. THey chewed through some electrical wiring in the walls, causing a very hazardous condition that could have caused a fire if we hadn't found the problem when we did. I'm sure mice are "cute" to look at, but they are terrors when they run wild in your dwelling. Letting them loose in a nearby field is not a solution. They will only come back, with friends..

Just MHO