Switching Food

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In light of the news that Wellness does business with Menu foods I have decided to switch; even though they have not been recalled. Especially after the latest news of rat poison.

So, I am switching to Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul.

First of all is this food better than Wellness?

Second, I do not want to give Puff another bite of Wellness. So that means I must do a quick change rather than the slow mixture. Should I put him on a bland diet first? I've already given him a little tonight just because we got home late and he was starving. If he does OK tonight do you think it would be OK to just give him the new food? Or should I go bland anyway? He's not known for a sensitive stomach so hopefully it will be OK.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken soup is comparable to wellness... as both are a bit grainy... I think the chn soup is richer and has more meat ... I you are making a quick switch a probiotic and some pumpkin should be on hand in case of digestive upset

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Chicken soup is comparable to wellness... as both are a bit grainy... I think the chn soup is richer and has more meat ... I you are making a quick switch a probiotic and some pumpkin should be on hand in case of digestive upset
Sharky, do you mean "grainy" in consistency, or as in actually containing grain? Wellness is grain-free. I had also read that Wellness was a "notch" higher in quality than Chicken Soup.

An example of probiotics is acidophilus which is available at any health food store. There are lots of probiotic products available specifically for cats.

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also on board with a switch from Nutro Max Gourmet Classics (non-recalled items) to something else. I am incredibly concerned about the complete lack of quality control and monitoring of pet food sources by Menu Foods and the affected companies.

Are there any other pet store or specialty brands other than Wellness that have a good reputation? Specifically, I'm looking to switch one of my boys to dry and wet food formulations that have low magnesium and ash (for UTI health), with quality ingredients. My other boy is on Royal Canin Urinary SO, so I've also been thinking about the RC non-RX foods. What's your take on Innova, Sharky?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness wet has some grain free I beleive she is asking about the dry...

Innova is out of a Menu plant .... it is a good food

If going from max an RC OTC formula may be closest