Recall expanded

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Thank you for the multiple sites
Now I'll probably be warned about multiple posts! I'd love to know what is behind the expanded recall. Maybe wheat gluten wasn't the problem?.?.?
Or the producers are simply being overcautious.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Now I'll probably be warned about multiple posts! I'd love to know what is behind the expanded recall. Maybe wheat gluten wasn't the problem?.?.?
LOl.. I am not warning about multiple posts...lmao

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting in a new thread. I would have lost this post in the bigger thread for the food recall.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read on yahoo that they had found rat poison in the food. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/...et_food_recall
There's a link directly to where I read about it. There's also a thing coming on the news later about it.

Also, is it -just- wet food, or the dry food of the same brand? Does anybody know? I feed my cats one of the brands listed but only the dry, they've never gotten wet food.. should I be worried?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO far it is only wet and 99% is cut or chunks in gravy that mostly is pouched ... I did note a few non gravy canned in the update that stores still have on shelves but it was dog

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'd love to know what is behind the expanded recall. Maybe wheat gluten wasn't the problem?.?.?
That was exactly MY thought earlier! If the wheat gluten was the problem - they had said it was only used in those specific lots they recalled initially. Now that they have expanded the recall to all lots manufactured between those dates, it makes me wonder.

I am wondering if perhaps the batches were tampered with by a disgruntled employee or something, you know? Not jumping to conclusions or freaking out, just ... hmmmmmm *scratches chin

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Namo

I read on yahoo that they had found rat poison in the food. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/...et_food_recall
There's a link directly to where I read about it. There's also a thing coming on the news later about it.

Also, is it -just- wet food, or the dry food of the same brand? Does anybody know? I feed my cats one of the brands listed but only the dry, they've never gotten wet food.. should I be worried?
Apparently it is only the wet. http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

My understanding is that the wheat was imported from China, and contained rat poison of a type not used in the U.S. or Canada. It sounds like IF it was intentional, it was done in China and not Canada or the U.S.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt it was intentional - rat poison would have been used to keep rats away from the wheat and not properly controlled.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
jcat;1673474 said:
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/0...ded_recall.asp
"This recall includes 90 brands across the entire manufacturing spectrum. A complete list of affected foods is available on the AVMA Web site at www.avma.org. If you have any of the products identified on these lists, regardless of date, immediately stop feeding them to your pet."[/QUOTE

I viewed the site mentioned, but don't see any other brands listed (I remebered that there were 42 names yesterday, and it's the same today). What was the addition? Is it the dates of manufacture, or other brands?

Sorry to be so dense--I'm not awake yet--just worried I'll find my brand on there....

Thanks!
MargeCat

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
MargeCat;1674044 said:

http://www.avma.org/press/releases/0...ded_recall.asp
"This recall includes 90 brands across the entire manufacturing spectrum. A complete list of affected foods is available on the AVMA Web site at www.avma.org. If you have any of the products identified on these lists, regardless of date, immediately stop feeding them to your pet."[/QUOTE

I viewed the site mentioned, but don't see any other brands listed (I remebered that there were 42 names yesterday, and it's the same today). What was the addition? Is it the dates of manufacture, or other brands?

Sorry to be so dense--I'm not awake yet--just worried I'll find my brand on there....

Thanks!
MargeCat
It's the dates listed; the AVMA is saying not to feed any of the food on the recall list, regardless of the dates.
The NY Times also has an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/24/us/24petfood.html?hp
"Yesterday, Menu Foods announced a recall of all its wet food products, regardless of when they were produced."

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my thought is why didnt it dawn on the exporters that they were shipping product to a company that produces pet food??????

My cats are so whiney . I have a brand of food that isnt affected but I havent given them any of the cans that have wheat gluten in the product. I think I may have to deal with their whining until they get over it.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
http://www.avma.org/press/releases/0...ied_recall.asp

CORRECTION to AVMA's March 23 press release, "Menu Foods Pet Food Recall Expanded, AVMA Advises." Menu Foods did not expand the voluntary recall of its ‘cuts and gravyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] style dog and cat food manufactured at its facility in Emporia, Kansas between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007. The list of brands and products being recalled remains the same. In an effort to ensure the effectiveness of the recall, retailers are being asked to remove all of the recalled brands and products, regardless of date, from their shelves, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This procedural change will ensure that suspect products are not inadvertently left on the shelves.

(not sure if you want to split this off into its own thread so people see it.....)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This is right off the Menu Foods site:http://www.menufoods.com/recall/PRES...SE03241409.htm
(March 24, 2007) - "As a result of reports from the FDA and various media outlets that some recalled lots of "cuts and gravy" style wet pet food remain on store shelves, Menu Foods has asked all retail outlets to immediately remove all impacted varieties of wet pet food posted at www.menufoods.com , regardless of the date code."

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly right, they asked retailers to remove all from shelves regardless of the date, but the recall itself was not expanded to include all dates - I can see how there was a misunderstanding with the AVMA and early news reports. Kind of sounded the same to me at first too!

I think it is a very smart move. PetSmart had done that already and posted flyers everywhere in the store. But I had to stop at Petco (blech) the other day and they had all the recalled foods out and not one single notice about the recall. I called their Customer Service # and complained and said "if you guys want to take the risk and sell the products with other dates, fine, but at least post about the recall!" The guy on the phone was like, "oh yeah, that's a really good idea, we want to educate our customers." Moron. *eye rolll

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Apparently it is only the wet. http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

My understanding is that the wheat was imported from China, and contained rat poison of a type not used in the U.S. or Canada. It sounds like IF it was intentional, it was done in China and not Canada or the U.S.
Yes, however the rat poison in question has been banned here in the U.S. for quite a while because it not only has a tendency to kill rats, but people too.