Help! I need a dip for tomorrow!!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I desperately need an EASY, creative, good dip for a party I am having tomorrow.

I am talking the kind of dip that goes like this...

"Throw cream cheese, some "blah blah" and some "Blah blah blah" in a blender, mix and serve with Chips/crackers/bread." Or something like that. I am open to any kind of ingredients.

I have an artichoke dip. and plan on making guac, if I can find good avocados. But I need ONE more thing!

I saw one that was cream cheese, cocktail sauce, mayo, shrimp and somethin' else that sounded just like something my mom used to make.

Thanks yall!
Kristin

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you like cajun flavors:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Vegetable seasoning to taste - start with a tablespoon and increase as necessary. Just use a spoon to mix - no need for the blender.

4 oz cream cheese
4 oz sour cream
A small cucumber (if you can find the baby seedless, those are best) peeled - or 1/2 a regular cucumber, peeled & de-seeded
1 clove garlic diced
1/4 small onion diced
salt and pepper to taste
A little dill if you want it.

1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Some garlic powder or salt or pepper to taste
Again - this one doesn't even need the mixer. Just use a spoon.
Depending upon the parmesan you're using - you may want a little more. Just add a little at a time if you need it until it tastes right.

The parm dip would probably go well with the artichoke dip you already have.....

All of these are best if made the night before and refrigerated.

Good luck!

Laurie

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take one bar of cream cheese, throw in a bunch of medium to hot salsa, blend, viola - eat with tortilla chips.

WARNING: This is a VERY addictive dip.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I put this in Cooking with Cattitude II, but as I am not near my copy, I can't check. However, I do have the recipe where I can get at it, so here goes...

Tomato Dip

2 tbsp butter
1 lb fresh tomatoes quartered*
sugar
freshly ground pepper

In non-reactive skillet, melt butter over moderately high heat, until bubbling. Add tomatoes and toss to coat with butter. Sprinkle generously with sugar, and freshly ground pepper. Saute until tomatoes begin to release their juice. Turn heat down to medium low, and let cook until the tomatoes break down and there is lots of juice, stirring from time to time. Turn heat back up, to reduce the juice and thicken it to a loose sauce. Remove from heat and allow to cool somewhat. Remove skins. Combine with...

250g soft cream cheese
handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
6 cloves roasted garlic**
1/4-1/2 tsp sambal oelek***
freshly ground pepper

Work all ingredients together, being sure to leave bits of tomato and garlic for texture. Do not puree. Serve with crusty bread, pita chips, crackers or vegetable crudites.

* I like the Campari variety, sold "on the vine". They are small, firm, juicy, and as sweet and flavourful as any tomato going, and they absolutely blossom when cooked. The only way to get a better tomato is to grow them yourself and pick them right before using them. In the absence of Camparis, I would use Romas, cut into small bite-sized pieces.

** To roast individual garlic cloves:

Preheat oven to 250 F. Break apart a head of garlic, leaving the skins on the individual cloves intact. Place in a small ovenproof dish or cast iron skillet. Add 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, two or three sprigs of fresh thyme and a bay leaf (optional). Place dish or skillet in oven and bake for 40-60 minutes, turning the garlic cloves occasionally, until very tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in the oil, in a glass jar.

***Sambal Oelek is an Asian chili paste, readily available in the Asian section of your supermarket or in Asian specialty stores.

---------

The tomato concoction is wonderful as a pasta sauce, with a little parmesan and some basil tossed in at the end. It's also great, as is, spooned over scrambled eggs.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could just get some sour cream and toss in a package of Lipton onion soup mix - it's to die for!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ooh.

These sound really good!!

I might try the 7 layer. That is totally the kind I was looking for. Substantial, but EASY EASY EASY!

Those cream chease dips look wonderful too.

Ugh. I hope there are good avacado's at the store. I don't want to have to come up with two dips.

does anyone have a shrimp and cream cheese recipe? I keep thinking about this one my mom used to have. (I think it was my mom) but I can't find anything like it online.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a really quick and easy one my dad makes off and on.

1 pound of ground beef
1 bottle of PACE salsa
1 box of Velveeta cheese (usually the biggest size they offer)
Salt, Pepper (and whatever other spices you want to use to season the ground beef)
1 bag of tortilla chips (any kind)

Use either a crockpot (this is better) or a big deep pot. Brown the ground beef and season. Add the velveeta, let it melt completely, then add the salsa. Let it simmer for about half an hour. That's it! Serve with chips!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This one is crab and cream cheese, but it works well with imitation crab, too, and I wouldn't hesitate to substitute shrimp...

Crab-Cream Cheese Special

1-3oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce*
1 small garlic clove, minced*
1 7-1/2 oz can crab meat, drained, finely flaked, cartilage removed**
Assorted crackers

Beat together cream cheese and milk till smooth. Stir in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, dash salt, dash pepper. Stir in crab meat. Chill till ready to serve. Serve with assorted crackers. Makes 1-3/4 cups dip.

*I always increase these.
**If substituting imitation crab or shrimp, I'd use about 1/2 pound.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oooo - this one sounds good: I just typed in Shrimp Dip in a search engine and found this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shrimp-Dip-I/Detail.aspx

All you need is a can of cream of shrimp, a package of cream cheese, a 4 oz can of small shrimp, and green onion.

Here's another version from the same site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Ev...ail.aspx?rss=6
This one is just cream cheese, mayo, onion, celery and shrimp!

This one sounds fabulous - has a touch of curry in addition to the shrimp and other stuff: http://1stholistic.com/Recipes/recipe_shrimp_dip.htm - and it uses yogurt instead of the cream cheese and mayo. Sounds delicious!

Laurie

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is a very simple dill dip.

1 part sour cream
1 part mayo
Dill weed
Onion powder
seasoning salt

Unfortunately I dont have measurements because I'm Italian and we just 'guess'

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Super simple cracker spread or cheeseball:

1 package of cream cheese.
Ranch dip mix to taste.

*optional
Sliced almonds
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped nuts

Mix cream cheese & ranch mix. You can add shredded cheddar (or whatever flavor you want) to the mix as well. If you want to/have time, form into a ball, roll in sliced almonds, chopped nuts or shredded cheese. Wrap in waxed paper and chill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!

These all sound FABULOUSE!!!

I wonder why we don't just live off of dips!!

I finally got a hold of my Mom and asked for her shrimp spread. She said she has something that is really good and much easier.. Tell me what you think....

Lot's of baby frozen shrimp. Mash 'em up real well with a potatomasher, then mix them with cream cheese. Just enough cream cheese to keep the shimp stuck together.

Form it into a flat "Ball" (like what is that supposed to be! lol)

Cover in cocktail sauce. Serve with those little crackers that come in different shapes. (those were her exact words) lol

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the easiest dips I know is a can of tuna, drained, and blended with a can of concentrated celery or mushroom soup. You can thin it down if you want with a little cream. Add lots of black pepper, coarsely ground. No one ever guesses what is in it but they all love it!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yarra

Lot's of baby frozen shrimp. Mash 'em up real well with a potatomasher, then mix them with cream cheese. Just enough cream cheese to keep the shimp stuck together.

Form it into a flat "Ball" (like what is that supposed to be! lol)

Cover in cocktail sauce. Serve with those little crackers that come in different shapes. (those were her exact words) lol
No way! I was just thinking the same exact dip! I was going to post it, then I scrolled down and saw you already did!
That is too funny! This dip is awesome!!!! If you like shrimp of course!!! My aunt had this dip one time at a party and I could not get enough of it!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my favorite dip recipe. It's for Pumpkin Fluff Dip. It's sooooo yummy
:

Pumpkin Fluff Dip
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup milk
1 cup FF cool whip
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 package SF FF instant vanilla pudding mix

Mix together pumpkin, spices and milk until well blended. Add pudding mix (dry)and beat by hand 2 minutes. Fold in cool whip. Refrigerate.
-serve with gingerbread or gingersnap cookies. (make enough for 12-20 people)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, a dessert dip! That sounds wonderful! I was going to mention, too... at a seminar I went to recently, they had one of those chocolate fountain machines loaded with white chocolate, and the table was covered with all sorts of things you could dip into it with, from pretzels to Oreos to graham crackers to grapes to sliced pears to dried cherries, even wheat crackers, which were surprisingly good. Dried pineapple was the biggest surprise -- I wouldn't have thought it would be a good match with white chocolate.

The seminar was interesting, but the real lesson of the evening was: white chocolate improves everything! Why, I believe I could eat - ulp -- asparagus if there was enough white chocolate on it...