Best dog ever

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This was taken about 13 years ago. AJ was the best dog in the world. We went to the shelter and wanted him, but the guy said his owner was coming back and wanted to keep him, so we left. A couple of weeks later, we decided to try again, and AJ was back. Must have been fate. (I think the owner had just brought him back again cause this guy asked if we were taking him and said he was a great dog. Allergies was why they returned him.)
He's been gone over 2 years now, but we still miss him, and our poor dog Cameron is tired of listening to us complain about him not being as nice as AJ.

So do you guys think he was some kind of doodle? Someone once mentioned a golden dale. If we could ever find another one, just like him, we'd adopt him in a heartbeat. I check every week when I volunteer at the shelter.

Sorry, I meant to put this in pet pics. Can someone move it for me?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not being a dog person I really have no idea what bred..or mix of breds he might have been.
But he sure was a cutie...the baby in the pic is just adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's my son who is now a teenager. Still cute, but not as sweet, and he doesn't like me to cuddle him anymore.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

That's my son who is now a teenager. Still cute, but not as sweet, and he doesn't like me to cuddle him anymore.
I bet he doesn't!

I think AJ looks a lot like a Wheaten. Possibly a Wheaten/Golden mix?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say more terrier in him and a little poodle - but not a labradoodle or goldendoodle.

I'm sure if you look hard enough in the shelters, you might find a similar one. IMO I would not get one "just like him" because then you expect them to act the same, and will be upset or disappointed if he doesn't "measure up"

That is why I won't have a blue tabby/white DSH or another all white rex because I would expect them to be like Mitten or Spooky

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would say more terrier in him and a little poodle - but not a labradoodle or goldendoodle.

I'm sure if you look hard enough in the shelters, you might find a similar one. IMO I would not get one "just like him" because then you expect them to act the same, and will be upset or disappointed if he doesn't "measure up"

That is why I won't have a blue tabby/white DSH or another all white rex because I would expect them to be like Mitten or Spooky
Yeah, I know I'll never find another AJ. But I do love bearded dogs. And my husband wants one AJ's size. I've seen a couple I've liked at the shelter, but they get put on hold for people fast, and since I'm only there once a week, I missed them. When its meant to be, it will happen, just like it did with AJ.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

How big was he? When you mentioned "bearded" - there could be bearded collie in him!

http://www.beardedcollies.be/

Then again, its probably more terrier type
He weighed around 60 pounds. Their fur looks a lot smoother and softer than his. (maybe cause those show dogs get groomed so often. ) We finally broke down and had his hair cut (kept his beard though
) because I would spend a long time after our walks removing ticks from him. One day I took 60 off of him.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

Yeah, I know I'll never find another AJ. But I do love bearded dogs. And my husband wants one AJ's size. I've seen a couple I've liked at the shelter, but they get put on hold for people fast, and since I'm only there once a week, I missed them. When its meant to be, it will happen, just like it did with AJ.
It's true, your special dog was just that, special. We had a special girl, Molly, a black lab mix. She was 15 when we finally had her put down. She was the most sensitive loving dog in the world, and at 65 pounds, would still try to get in your lap...ouch! We have tried to get another dog with her personality, but can't find one. I've decided to retire from dogs and stick with cats. Trying to replace Molly would be like trying to replace one of my kids, which we all know can't be done.

So don't set yourself up for disappointment. ok?

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueheart

It's true, your special dog was just that, special. We had a special girl, Molly, a black lab mix. She was 15 when we finally had her put down. She was the most sensitive loving dog in the world, and at 65 pounds, would still try to get in your lap...ouch! We have tried to get another dog with her personality, but can't find one. I've decided to retire from dogs and stick with cats. Trying to replace Molly would be like trying to replace one of my kids, which we all know can't be done.

So don't set yourself up for disappointment. ok?
I won't. But I know there are other special dogs out there, and my little dog Cam needs a big brother or sister to calm him down. He was much better behaved when AJ was around, and the only time he gets along with another dog is if its in our house. Unfortunately, now that I have my cat Lucky, we can't babysit for Cam's walking buddy down the street.

(are you sure replacing kids can't be done? just kidding, I think.)

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think he looks like he has some poodle in him. His eyes look like it. I bet he was an awesome dog. I sure miss my cats that i used to have.
Maybe you can ffind another one that looks like him. Don't give up hope

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

I think he looks like he has some poodle in him. His eyes look like it. I bet he was an awesome dog. I sure miss my cats that i used to have.
Maybe you can ffind another one that looks like him. Don't give up hope
Thanks, I won't.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he looked a little like that, but the temperment they describe certainly wasn't him. He was a sweet heart from the moment we got him, and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhhh look at him! I can see why you think he's so like my Ruby. I would say on first looking at him that he's definitely a Labradoodle, but back then they weren't even known as a type of `designer breed' or breed at all (although it is my fervent hope that they be registered one day when the flaws are ironed out).

We will always feel that Ruby is the best dog we've ever had, and Chester, too, but we got her first and she was our first doggy love. Here's a pic of her looking just like your AJ. She was very cranky in this photo because she was tired and I made her wake up and sit nicely so I could take a picture of her new haircut
I'm such a mean Mummy!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Ohhhhhhh look at him! I can see why you think he's so like my Ruby. I would say on first looking at him that he's definitely a Labradoodle, but back then they weren't even known as a type of `designer breed' or breed at all (although it is my fervent hope that they be registered one day when the flaws are ironed out).

We will always feel that Ruby is the best dog we've ever had, and Chester, too, but we got her first and she was our first doggy love. Here's a pic of her looking just like your AJ. She was very cranky in this photo because she was tired and I made her wake up and sit nicely so I could take a picture of her new haircut
I'm such a mean Mummy!
So now you know why I want to steal Ruby from you.

Originally Posted by MuleNag

What a great pic and wonderful tribute!

He looks more like a Wheaten to me...

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/softcoat...tenterrier.htm

Good luck on your search for a similar pup!
That wheaten on your link is beautiful. The shelter actually had a wheaten cross a couple months ago. My neighbor wanted one, so I sent them to check him out, but they thought he was too nervous. I would have put a hold on him for me, but the poor doggie was petrified of cats and my Lucky would have terrorized him.

hollister**

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I bet he doesn't!

I think AJ looks a lot like a Wheaten. Possibly a Wheaten/Golden mix?
I second the Wheaten.