Innova EVO

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here know if the high phosporous levels in Evo can increase the risk of kidney disease or UTI in healthy cats. I'm thinking about switching my one cat who won't eat raw and often doesn't finish his wet food to this food. He's about 6 years old.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that it contributes to kidney problems..but I don't think it would cause them in a healthy cat. I honestly don't know for sure.. but the two things I've heard is it's *really* low moisture, so they aren't getting any from the food, and that it makes UTI or Kidney problems worse. Oh, and one other thing is .. apparently the animals really like the taste of it, so they tend to eat more than they should.

I've noticed with my two who are not on raw (but currently in Evo dry), that they eat less of it than they did of their old food, by about half. They've always drank plenty of water, though (we have a kitty fountain and they love it), but if you take away their food for a while, and make it into specific feeding times, my cat who usually refuses wet will actually sit down and eat a whole packet/can.

If you're free feeding the non-raw kitty.. (and that one sounds like my Noel .. until I started giving her feeding times).. they're never really out of food long enough to build up an appetite. Try feeding at a specific time, and then introduce the wet only at first (maybe even removed from the other cats)..

Anyway.. there's a few links to raw sites that tell you how to tranisition them.. and while I never really thought it would work.. It does seem to be working with Noel. Eight years of dry free feeding and a carb addict and she's probably going to make the transition (once I get my butt in gear). I was using the tactic to get her meds into her (hid in the food). If you want links, let me know.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Does anyone here know if the high phosporous levels in Evo can increase the risk of kidney disease or UTI in healthy cats. I'm thinking about switching my one cat who won't eat raw and often doesn't finish his wet food to this food. He's about 6 years old.
Canned EVO I worry less about since the moisture balences out the ash ///

The dry is too high in ash ( high in ph and mag ) for a UTI prone animal...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Canned EVO I worry less about since the moisture balences out the ash ///

The dry is too high in ash ( high in ph and mag ) for a UTI prone animal...
Exactly what I was thinking. You know what they say about Great minds....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Exactly what I was thinking. You know what they say about Great minds....
... My vet will normally suggest evan dry EVO but NOT for UTI kittys

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All dry foods are low moisture so you do have to make sure they drink adequate water (or supplement the diet with canned)

EVO (as with all high protein foods) should not be fed to a cat with a kidney problem as they tend to have an intolerance to higher protein levels

It is also quite rich and some cats take alot of getting used to it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

All dry foods are low moisture so you do have to make sure they drink adequate water (or supplement the diet with canned)

EVO (as with all high protein foods) should not be fed to a cat with a kidney problem as they tend to have an intolerance to higher protein levels

It is also quite rich and some cats take alot of getting used to it.
I would happily debate the kidney one
... lol ... I have all but disproven that
... I wouldnt feed a kindey cat ANY DRY food

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would happily debate the kidney one
... lol ... I have all but disproven that
... I wouldnt feed a kindey cat ANY DRY food
So would I
but I will stick the vet opinion on this one rather than have people feed their cat a high protein dry and risk complications, for the benefit of everyone else, 'kidney cats' need a higher moisture diet and it is believed that dry foods, particularly higher protein ones allow cats to become slightly dehydrated before they will bother to drink which is very bad for kidney problems. Personally mine drink plenty on EVO dry and are healthy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spott does not have kidney issues or UTI. I want to know if it increases the risk in healthy kitties. And believe me, I've tried the feeding schedule and Spotty is the exception who will not change his slow eating habits when it comes to wet food no matter what. He can take 2 or 3 hours to eat his wet if he finishes it.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm with Sharky (if she's saying what I think she is, but this is my interpretation) on high protein diets not necessarily being detrimental to kidney health, or detrimental to kitties who have kidney problems.. but I think that's based on a raw diet not a raw-based dry diet.. from what I've seen the research or.. I guess I should say animals living on raw diets, a lot things have gone away in cats with IBS, or prone to UTI.. etc. That's based on an actual raw diet though.. and those are extremely high in moisture..

But, back on track, Moggie..sorry for the detour.. um.. ash was the ingredient that I couldn't remember.. also.. my domestic, Noel, was very much like yours where she just wouldn't eat wet food until after I switched her to the Evo. Now.. I never really did try the whole taking her food away and letting her get hungry prior to the Evo, so.. when she had her surgery and I had to medicate her, I was sticking it in her wet food, and prior to this.. she'd just lick the gravy/juice up and that was the end of it. It worked, though, after she started Evo. Now, since I didn't really test that theory, I can't really even call it a theory,
however.. maybe it's that she's getting more of a taste for protein and is liking the wet better. I don't know.

I have not heard anything about Evo contributing to healthy cats contracting UTI or kidney problems. I think if you're planning to use this as a liason between getting them off of dry, over to wet, and then on to raw.. I don't think it would cause any harm, specifically for a short period of time. Mine are doing very well on it (they've only been on it for 4 or 5 weeks, though). Mine are also all girls, except Kahn, who only eats raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely I would be using it long term because Spotty is not going to change and he certainly doesn't want to eat raw. I don't free feed my cats. I feed them morning and evening. It will however be a supplement to a canned diet for Spotty. I don't intend to feed dry exclusively. It's just that Spotty literally picks at his wet food and he needs a dry supplementation but I thought by changing his dry food to EVO I can get him on a low carb diet, see if he sheds a few pounds.

Well I guess I should trust that Natura did the nutritional research and would not create a product that would cause kidney disease or UTIs in healthy cats. I was just concerned because I know EVO has a high phosporous content.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Most likely I would be using it long term because Spotty is not going to change and he certainly doesn't want to eat raw. I don't free feed my cats. I feed them morning and evening. It will however be a supplement to a canned diet for Spotty. I don't intend to feed dry exclusively. It's just that Spotty literally picks at his wet food and he needs a dry supplementation but I thought by changing his dry food to EVO I can get him on a low carb diet, see if he sheds a few pounds.

Well I guess I should trust that Natura did the nutritional research and would not create a product that would cause kidney disease or UTIs in healthy cats. I was just concerned because I know EVO has a high phosporous content.
Just a note EVO has not been thru AFFCO feeding trials....

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other dry high protein, low carb no grain foods... one of them probably has a different phospherous content. I'm not sure off the top of my head which ones have that, but Evo was just the first..there are others.. I think Wellness makes one in a dry, and.. Nature's Pride?? I'm not sure. I did some looking around.. but..I just don't remember what other companies manufactured the dry high protein no grains foods.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just a note EVO has not been thru AFFCO feeding trials....
But is formulated to their standards and nutrition requirements

Innova EVO Cat & Kitten food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

But is formulated to their standards and nutrition requirements
Yeah .. For me a dry food should be feed... this whole recall for wet would never have reached the public if MOST wet foods were feed tested.... I can Formulate in my kitchen

When it is formulated and not feed tested Our animals are the guinea pigs for if it is safe

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For as much as Evo costs, it better be quality food. Their website goes into much more detail, and says it's human grade ingredients. Of course, who knows how much marketing is involved in this.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my siamese cat EVO dry and friskies wet (only a tablespoon full once in the morning) Initially, it gave him loose stools. After a few weeks of slowly mixing in the EVO with the Purina Naturals he was eating, hes adjusted to EVO well. Not sure if its the EVO or just him getting older (10 mos.) but his coat looks much sleeker and he's as healthy as can be. I recently got two bengals that are on Royal Canin dry. I'll be gradually switching them to EVO as well.