I feel like an idiot...

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought my barn stray in the house 2 months ago thinking she was pregnant, took her to the vet and the vet says "Yep I think I feel something."

I get prepared, start feeding her kitten food as much as she wants, and post pics and get everyone excited....then when she should have had them, she didn't. I took her back to the vet and the vet feels nothing now. She's not pregnant (blessing in disguise I know) I make a spay appt for yesterday and drop her off. I pick her up only to find out she has a spay scar!

Not only was she not pregnant, she was already spayed!! I was feeding her and feeding her and she got bigger and bigger.. she's FAT!! Nothing more, just FAT!
I feel horrible. I've had cats for over 20 years and this cat (with the help of the vet) has surprised me to no end.
Now she's on a diet..

I just feel so stupid.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey, if the VET says she's pregnant... who are you to question? lol

At least you don't have to worry about trying to home kittens now or worry about her having any

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry! I had the opposite happen to me once. I bought a guinea pig, brought her home and she was getting bigger and bigger. I thought "Jeez, this is getting to be a FAT pig".

Then one night I came home to find a second guinea pig in the cage. Turns out she was pregnant the whole time!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww dont worry, and hey, it would have been a lot worse the other way around ! So she got a great feast-out for a few weeks, but you'll soon have her back to a good weight - give her some tummy from from us and tell her she made her mommy panic

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Don't worry! I had the opposite happen to me once. I bought a guinea pig, brought her home and she was getting bigger and bigger. I thought "Jeez, this is getting to be a FAT pig".

Then one night I came home to find a second guinea pig in the cage. Turns out she was pregnant the whole time!
We had a similar experience: two "male" gerbils, one of which kept getting fatter and fatter, and then we noticed teeny-tiny pink "jelly beans" that turned out to be baby gerbils ...

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaS

Hey, if the VET says she's pregnant... who are you to question? lol

At least you don't have to worry about trying to home kittens now or worry about her having any
Exactly!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad she's not pregnant. I was kinda bummed at first but went shopping and I felt better. She is the 2nd "runaway" I've taken in that was spayed already. Hannah was declawed too so we knew she was spayed.

Then I think...Someone may be missing her, should I put signs up? She had a few months to "go home", but wouldn't leave.

Guinea pigs and gerbil Moms? Don't you love when that happens?

Thanks for cheering me up!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it makes you feel better, the shelter had a kitty named Tyson. Decided Tyson was really Tracey & that she was pregnant. Fed kitten food & in foster care for 3 months, no babies. Brought her back to the shelter. Figured out Tracy was front paw declawed. Gets adopted a month later. Tracy goes to the vet who then tells the new owners Tracy is really Tyson.
It only took us 5 months to figure it out!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
those wascaly pets! always pulling fast ones on us
I'm sure Honey didn't mind living the pampered life

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she was already spayed! But, I would have been embarassed too.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia2

Not only was she not pregnant, she was already spayed!! I was feeding her and feeding her and she got bigger and bigger.. she's FAT!! Nothing more, just FAT!
I feel horrible. I've had cats for over 20 years and this cat (with the help of the vet) has surprised me to no end.
Now she's on a diet..

I just feel so stupid.
Aw don't feel stupid!! We did the same thing at the shelter. The cat just kept getting a fatter tummy and no kittens.. turns out.. yup. She was just chubbers!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey dont feel bad, i had somewhat of a similar situation
well bellas nipples were a lil big and after we took her in she ate and ate and she put on that weight so im thinking hmmm she looks it and acts like it! So we go ahead and make a spay appointment just to make sure everythings ok and get her shots adn everything, and they call u if shes pregnant well we get that call, turns out my lil girl was ALREADY spayed
Then we went back in 2 weeks and they told me that she was fat
I said hey she was abandoned and I took her in and shes not that big, she was just hungry I know she was without food for over a week (we are crazy and knocked on peoples doors and they only gave her human milk
but didnt want to bring her inside because they had a lil dog it was really funny though because we are stopping this lady she runs in the house to get this little dog and yet bella was bigger than the dog
) But now bellas weight is normal for her, for some reason i gave purina naturals and well her weight seems to be great for her size
But I am sure that vet at the clinic will tell me shes overweight again