A child called It

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at a flea market today and found the book A Child Called It, I also found the book The Lost Boy which is the sequal to the other one. I can't believe I found both of them.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats great, they are really good books and sad, I remember in school we actually read that in a few different classes, one being parenting and the other english, but that was a child called it, and my neighbor actually had the lost boy so I borrowed it from her and read it
! They are such good books and they are the truth, which is sad

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"A child called it" was the sadest thing I have ever read... Mostly because of it being based on a true story... I just can't belive the things people can do to their own children! it sickens me!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WTG, what are the books about?
Bet they were a great find and a wonderful end to a good day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

WTG, what are the books about?
Bet they were a great find and a wonderful end to a good day.
The books are about child abuse, and they are true storys too.

The guy that wrote the book is the little boy who was abused by his own mother.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Hope you enjoy them. And they sound interesting too.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Oh wow. Hope you enjoy them. And they sound interesting too.
I know that just from reading the back of the book that they are gonna be very sad. I just don't understand how a mother can abuse her own child like this one did.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
David Pelzer is my favorite author...well considering I don't read
I read ACCI years ago and it got me hooked on his books. My wife and I both have all of them, ACCI, Lost Boy, a Man Named Dave and I think there's another..well atleast that's all I have up to, I'm sure he's written more. It's courageous to know that after what he went through he grew up to be the man he is today.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

David Pelzer is my favorite author...well considering I don't read
I read ACCI years ago and it got me hooked on his books. My wife and I both have all of them, ACCI, Lost Boy, a Man Named Dave and I think there's another..well atleast that's all I have up to, I'm sure he's written more. It's courageous to know that after what he went through he grew up to be the man he is today.
Yes it does seem amazing that he is the man that he is today. I will hafta check up on some more of his books then.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Admittedly, I have not read the books, but isn'tA Child Called It about parents that had a hemaphroditic child who decided they wanted to be the other sex when they got older (opposite from one assigned at birth) and the parents wouldn't let the kid change his mind and grow up as a girl?

Maybe that's something totally different... probably.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Admittedly, I have not read the books, but isn'tA Child Called It about parents that had a hemaphroditic child who decided they wanted to be the other sex when they got older (opposite from one assigned at birth) and the parents wouldn't let the kid change his mind and grow up as a girl?

No, A Child Called It is about a man named David Pelzer and his experiences growing up in a house with a severely abusive mother and a passive father who I believe was a drinker, but didn't abuse him, just ignored everything. She'd lock him in the basement, beat him, starve him etc.. It's a really gut wrenching book.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

ya thats not a child called it, hmm i never heard of that one
sounds interesting though, I actually read alot of books for child abuse and o my child called it is soo sad but also good and to see how he turned out was great! Also being able to share yuor experience and show kids hey ur not alone out there and everyhting u can do it, its just great you know ! And in a way he was lucky, there have been so many that havent been able to live to their teens or even 5 years of age, its so sad, and its really a cycle! (just did some more of my project and research
)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was teaching preschoolers with language delays (in a low socio-economic area), one of the children had a little brother coming into our class the next year whose legal name was Poo-Poo Head. This is what his mother put on the birth certificate! We were trying to figure out what to call him; nothing was good... Poo? Poo-Poo? PP? PP Head? So sad.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

When I was teaching preschoolers with language delays (in a low socio-economic area), one of the children had a little brother coming into our class the next year whose legal name was Poo-Poo Head. This is what his mother put on the birth certificate! We were trying to figure out what to call him; nothing was good... Poo? Poo-Poo? PP? PP Head? So sad.
Are you serious? Wow. There should honestly be a law saying that you can't name your child certain things.

..and they wonder why kids today are so violent

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finished the second book, The Lost Boy, last week. They are both so sad but well worth reading. It's really amazing that he survived all that he was forced to go through.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Are you serious? Wow. There should honestly be a law saying that you can't name your child certain things.
That's what we all said. But, who should have that kind of power? You'd think a parent would automatically love the baby enough to give him or her a decent name, but sometimes that love just isn't there.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what we all said. But, who should have that kind of power? You'd think a parent would automatically love the baby enough to give him or her a decent name, but sometimes that love just isn't there.
Yeah that's the tough part. Who's to say what a unappropriate name is. What if your last name is Hertz and you want to name your son Richard? But Poo-Poo Head? Either she was on drugs or she has a sick sense of humor.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is so sad, I woulda had to come up with something, Sweetie, or Punkin, or some really sweet name. That poor little boy probably had no self esteem either.