Help with sphynx

niffer76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was hoping to get a little help from someone with our new sphynx. The breeder we got her from is horrible, and unfortunatly out of state, so i'm on my own, until i can find a vet that knows what they're doing. My main problem right now is a rash that has developed on her face, and is going down to her neck and back. It looks like little red spots. I dont know if it could be from the detergent i'm using, or if it could be something serious. We have taken her to a vet since we got her, but to be honest she knew NOTHING about the breed and it seemed like she got her degree from a cracker jack box, so we are looking for a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jennifer

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definately get kitty to the vet, a rash can be anywhere from a simple allergic reaction to a sign of something more serious. How is she acting? Eating, socializing or not so much? Don't stress though just keep an eye on her!!

3angels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your baby? Our female Sphynx had/has this. We have been to 3 different vets and still looking as none of them have been able to find out what it is or how to cure it. Does the kitten itch the red spots? Ours does all the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned detergent - is this something you are washing your cat in? I know sphynx need to be washed weekly cause the oils build up on the skin.

What are you feeding? It could be an allergy to food or to fleas! I know cats that are allergic to fleas will have little red spots. Is the sphynx scratching a lot?

3angels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use the same detergent we used when she was a kitten before she started breaking out. She scratches until she bleeds. Gets her baths regularly. We have changed her diet numerous times to rule out food allergies. Tried Revolution, antibiotics, antihistamines, cortizone injections. But nothing helps. It seems to help the first few days then goes right back to how it was.
We stick with one vet until they run out of ideas then change to another. But being in a rural area we are running out of vets.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really sounds like allergies to me. You might try contacting some other sphynx breeders online thru their websites and asking them for help/advice. Or maybe look for a sphynx message board - most purebreds have some sort of a forum that is breed related.

Or try to attend a local cat show and talk directly to some sphynx breeders - almost every show now has them entered. Haven't been to any show since I've started back that didn't have some sphynx in the classes.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3angels

We use the same detergent we used when she was a kitten before she started breaking out. She scratches until she bleeds. Gets her baths regularly. We have changed her diet numerous times to rule out food allergies. Tried Revolution, antibiotics, antihistamines, cortizone injections. But nothing helps. It seems to help the first few days then goes right back to how it was.
We stick with one vet until they run out of ideas then change to another. But being in a rural area we are running out of vets.
Is there a sphynx breeder in your area you might be able to get a vet recommendation from? I would think any sphynx breeder would be willing to help you. They know what special care the breed needs.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3angels

We have changed her diet numerous times to rule out food allergies. Tried Revolution, antibiotics, antihistamines, cortizone injections. But nothing helps. It seems to help the first few days then goes right back to how it was. .
This sounds like it is making the problem worse! Never use flea and tick on a Sphynx. Shesh. I also sent you a PM.

3angels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try to look for a Sphynx forum and contact a few breeders online for help. I did not know about the flea and tick medicine not being able to use on a Sphynx- thank you for bringing it to my attention. Thank you all!