Popcorn Balls...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should know how to make these, but from what I can recall, I've never made them at all...never. However, the hubby has been asking me the last couple of days for popcorn balls. I've been puttin' him off as long as I could but now I feel pretty bad about it. See, last week, my son Alex Jr, asked me to make him some cookies...soooo of course I stayed up all night making them...just for him.
Now, my poor hubby has been asking for this whole week now...and nothing. That hasn't been too nice of me, right? I even threw together a batch of rice krispie treats last night...cuz my kiddos wanted something to munch on. I'm so bad...my poor hubby.

He's burning the midnight oil at work tonight so I'd like to have a big trayful of popcorn balls waiting for him when he gets home....but...how to I stick 'em together? I was thinking that maybe its not unlike the rice treats I made last night...with melted marshmallows & butter...but I don't know. Sure would appreciate y'all's input on this...

Gracias...
Hilda>^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are talking to the Popcorn Ball Queen. I make them every Halloween to hand out.

Here is the recipe

3 quarts of popcorn (already popped)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Karo (light corn syrup)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp vanilla ( I use other flavors too)

Stir, and cook sugar, corn syrup, water, butter, and salt until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 270 degrees or until syrup forms a brittle ball when dropped in cold water. Add vanilla. Pour syrup slowly over popped corn, mixing well to coat every kernnel . Grease hands with butter before shaping into balls.

Make sure you put butter on your hands, this syrup is very hot.

Let me know how they came out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Belinda y Colleen! Uh, one thing I forgot to mention/ask...can I use microwaved popcorn? the buttered kind? cuz that's all we have.

Hilda>^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Thank you so much Belinda y Colleen! Uh, one thing I forgot to mention/ask...can I use microwaved popcorn? the buttered kind? cuz that's all we have.

Hilda>^..^<
I don't know, I have always popped mine.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny now that you mention that, I remember a few years back I was talking to my kids about popcorn. I told them how we used to pop it in a big saucepan...they just looked at me like deer caught in headlights
They had no idea what the heck their old mom was talking about! LOL! Ya know, I think I might have a jar of regular popping corn in my pantry...hmmmmmmm!

Hilda>^..^<

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh great, thanks, now I'm gonna have this craving for popcorn balls! Sounds tasty.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I am starving now - these sound delicious - never had them, but will definitely be trying this!!!

hollister**

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used popcorn bags that you put in the microwave before to make popcorn balls. They turned out great!
But that was the only time I made them so I don't have much to compare them too.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here they are! They turned out better than I'd hoped and they're reeeeeally yummy!

Here's a closeup...

Rather than making great big ones, I made little ones...a little bigger than bite-sized. I knew I was supposed to work quickly with this, but yeah, the syrup was reeeeeally HOT! I buttered my hands but I decided to plop the stuff into a piece of wax paper instead and shape it that way! That worked out better and saved my hands! LOL! There was quite a bit of it that cooled before I could shape it into balls so I just broke that one up into pieces instead. Naomi & Alex Jr are watching a movie in his room right now and I took them a bowl of it. They loved it!

Thanks Belinda...I hope the hubby likes it too!

Hilda>^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, that syrup is very hot, I have burned my hands like a gazillion times before, that is why I said to make sure you buttered your hands.

I am glad that they turned out too.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Belinda...I did use plenty of butter on my hands (maybe that's why they're so soft this morning! LOL)...but it was just too messy...so I thought of the waxed paper...which really worked out well!

Thanks again for posting your recipe...Popcorn Queen!

Hilda>^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Belinda...I did use plenty of butter on my hands (maybe that's why they're so soft this morning! LOL)...but it was just too messy...so I thought of the waxed paper...which really worked out well!

Thanks again for posting your recipe...Popcorn Queen!

Hilda>^..^<
I don't know why they could have got soft, mine never did.