Bella, the runaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

As many of you know I have a cat named Bella that likes to escape :: stares at Bella :: and she did so again today.

Well she came back at 3:10ish PM EST today after being gone for just about 4 hours - I do know she is in heat and thus the reasoning for her getting out.

So that leads to my question...could she have mated during those few hours and would she still be considered 'in heat' even though she may have now matted?

Sorry for all these questions about my sweet Bella...just wanting to learn as much about it as possible.

She came back in the house and hasn't left my side since...she is so extremely adorable!

Jeremy

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Jeremy it's very possible she mated and it's also possible she may still be in heat and try to get out again tonight. May I ask why she is not spayed? Unless you are a registered breeder, I don't understand why she isn't already spayed - unless she is too young in which case she would be a high risk pregnancy.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Bella is home, she has probably had a little party with some handsome Tom whispering sweet nothings into her ears

As suggested best to keep her completed locked into your place, as while ever she is in heat she will mate. Females reproduction systems are very clever. She may be pregnant to one male with say 2 kittens, she can then mate with another male and have 3 of his kittens, so she will have 5 kittens but they will have been fathered by 2 males.

So you guessed - yes - she will still mate even though pregnant ! Thats why some cats can have kittens that are different colours !

Of course, you will soon know if she is pregnant, then you will have to wait till she has had her babies to have her spayed. Your vet will be able to advise when.

Keep us posted !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses!!

Yosemite, the honest reason why she hasn't been spayed yet is simple; I am in school full-time and unfortunately haven't had a moment since Christmas break (we just got her at the beginning of February) to do anything at all.

Now the semester is starting to wind down so I am making an appt. to take her to the vet. Although I do have to say...it does break my heart to think that she could be pregnant and have her spayed and abort the little kittens

The only reason why I would let her carry her babies full-term is because I do already have 3 friends interested in a kitten if she is in fact pregnant. One being my best friend since 5th grade!

So...I guess thats it really...does that make me a bad cat person? I hope not...I do adore my little ones!!!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing in my opinion would be to get her spayed asap. Your friends could always go rescue a cat/kitten from a shelter. Letting domestic cats have kittens in my opinion takes homes away from poor shelter cats that will most likely be put to sleep for lack of homes. Also I hope she is microchipped and/or collar tagged. Wouldnt want her to get lost outside without any identification

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hakishiroom

Thanks for the responses!!

Yosemite, the honest reason why she hasn't been spayed yet is simple; I am in school full-time and unfortunately haven't had a moment since Christmas break (we just got her at the beginning of February) to do anything at all.

Now the semester is starting to wind down so I am making an appt. to take her to the vet. Although I do have to say...it does break my heart to think that she could be pregnant and have her spayed and abort the little kittens

The only reason why I would let her carry her babies full-term is because I do already have 3 friends interested in a kitten if she is in fact pregnant. One being my best friend since 5th grade!

So...I guess thats it really...does that make me a bad cat person? I hope not...I do adore my little ones!!!
If your friends are interested in getting kittens, tell them to go to the shelter and save one. Every kitten that your cat has will take away a home from one already in the shelter. Please get your cat spayed. I work full time, and have a very busy schedule outside of work, but no animal in my house has ever made it past 6 months without being fixed, and I have 3 dogs and 6 cats, plus many many foster cats and kittens. Don't make excuses for irresponsibility. Spay your cat and send your friends to the nearest animal shelterm where hopefully the cats will be spayed before adoption.

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has nothing to do with irresponsibility but everything to do with time...and the lack of it...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can drop your kitty off in the morning and pick her up in the evening. That's usually how spays go anyways.

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your concern...I am taking her to the vet soon...but I do think I will hold off on the spay for now...

Thanks again for the responses everyone!!!

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has nothing to do with irresponsibility but everything to do with time...and the lack of it...
Sorry, but I don't buy that you don't have time, unless your vet is 3 hours away, in which case, get a new vet. It takes 10 minutes to drop a cat off and the same to pick back up. Get up earlier. I have a full time job for God's sake, 6 cats, 3 dogs, a boyfriend, a house to take care of, and I foster cats and kittens all the time. Everyone has 20 minutes to spare in a time span of a few months.

Thank you for your concern...I am taking her to the vet soon...but I do think I will hold off on the spay for now...
Again, if you were responsible, you would take your cat to the vet, get her spayed and abort the kittens. Simple as that, the world does not need any more litters. It is people like you that cause the problems, and create a need for shelters and foster homes and uneeded euthanasia.

hakishiroom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted the original message to get helpful advice...not to be criticized by people who do not even know me or my situation.

If all you are going to do is be critical then please do not reply to my message. Just because I ask your opinion does not mean that I have to agree with what you say or what you feel that I should do.

I will not get her spayed and abort the kittens - simple as that...my decision and mine alone. I just can not bring myself to do that...I am sorry if you do not agree with that decision but it is my decision to make.

Again, I thank you all for your responses/comments but please do not attack - it isn't necessary nor needed.

Thank you.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi Jeremy, well I am sorry you have felt at the end of some unwelcome and unhelpful comments.

You are right it is your decision and I am sure you will take care of your cats & the kittens to the best of your ability
Your cat got out and is possibly pregnant, no-one can turn the clocks back now.

Do you know for certain that Bella is now pregnant ?

Do keep us posted, I am interested to know how you & Bella go on and would love to see some photos of her and her kittens, if indeed she is pregnant

Thanks

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi Jeremy

I certainly would not want to critise you and I hope that you do come back here for advice. I dont want to rock the boat here with members, but he did come here for advice and unfortunately if it does turn out she is pregnant there is not a lot he could now. I would certainly not agree with getting her "done" at the moment if she is pregnant. Whats done is done and there is nothing anyone can do about it. He has come on here and said he will be reponsible and find the kittens good home, so please guys go a little easy on him!

I hope bella is ok now for all her little journey's out and about!!

Please let me know if it turns out she is pregnant and keeps us posted on how she does.

Claire

I sincerely hope my HONEST opinion does not upset anyone, but if it does let me know!!

sparklepanties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have to say that i found this thread a little uncomfortable to read and its a shame because Jeremy only wanted some advice from what is on the whole a fantastic and informative forum. Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion and of course everyone has different views which is what i find brilliant about this site. As far as Jeremy and Bella go she got out while she was on heat and is now possibly pregnant, it happens and maybe yes he should've got her spayed earlier but he didnt. If it were me and one of my cats escaped while unspayed and became pregnant which is what happened to me a while ago then I would be the same as Jeremy and would want her to see the pregnancy through. I am a huge animal lover and my cats are like my own children and i wouldnt be able to bear taking my cat to the vets to be spayed knowing she was pregnant. He has found loving homes for them already so they are unlikely to end up in a shelter. This is just my humble opinion but i felt i had to say something because i'm sure Jeremy doesnt want to feel like he's being 'attacked' for asking us for advice. Again this is just my humble opinion.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While many would disagree with your view about not wanting to abort any possible kittens, of course it is your own view and you are entitled to hold that view (as are others to express conflicting views).

I'm beginning to think that you actually want Bella to get pregnant. It is not difficult to keep doors and windows closed, after all.

If that's the case (and no doubt people will voice their opinions again if it is - only warning you!), the main issue is whether Bella is vacceinated. If she isn't, then she could be picking up or spreading infectious diseases among the local cats.

If you don't want her to get pregnant, but you don't want to abort the babies if she is pregnant, your only option is to keep Bella indoors for a few weeks, until you know one way or another, and if she's not pregnant, take her to be spayed.

If you keep allowing her to escape, you will never be sure she's not pregnant, and your policy of not aborting any unborn kittens will ensure that she never gets spayed!

Just my thoughts.

faith09tp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jeremy, I understand a little of what you are going through. I too made a mitake ans wasn't able to get my Misty spayed and she got pregnant and just had 2 beautiful kittens last friday.

I was saving up the money to get her spayed, calling people I know, looking for low cost spay centers, but I just couldn't find anything to work with me. The low cost spay clinics I found were only "low cost" if you were on wellfare, which kind of got me frustrated. So I had a huge struggle in trying to get her spayed. And like I said before I was able to get her spayed she broke out of my house(literally, despite my obsessive attempts to keep her contained in the house, in my view at all times, and when I was not home in my room, while she was in heat) I understand these things happen.

Now all you can do is be a responsible and loving cat owner and do what you think is best. Like others have said, it is possible to get her spayed now, and if she is pregnant it would terminate her pregnancy. Now that is your choice and your choice alone. but if you do decide to have her carry the pregnancy to term, please make sure you get her spayed, it's better for everyone, and for her, much healthier for her.

And also make sure you take care of her during her pregnancy, feed her some good kitten food. And if you don't have the money now, start saving up an emergency fund for her, in case you do need to take her to the vet during anytime of her pregnancy. A lot of things can go on, and even though you may have felt "attacked" a little, I hope you do stick around. This site is full of a lot of helpful people, and when it comes time for your kitty to deliver her babies, they will be of lots of help to you, trust me, lol, I just went through it last week and everytime I saw Misty do something I ran to my computer to get advice, or information about it. Like I said though, be prepared to make emergency trips to the vet, anything can happen. It's better to be prepared, better safe than sorry...you know?

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with some others that reading this made ME uncomfortable. I do not think it is fair for anyone to compare themselves to another memeber or to say someone is irresponsible because their cat isn't fixed. I know the vets around me are only open from about 9-5 most days and some days till 6. well alot of people work from 8-5 so how can they get there??? there are ALOT of things that can come up and it doesn't mean you are irresponsible.

I too have one cat that is NOT spayed and while we are trying to save up the $ to get her done my children come first and my bills so I have a house for my cats to live in. and yes we keep her indoors but there have been a cuople times that she has snuck out while we were coming in the house, most we notice but every now and then she hasn't been notices sneaking out the door as we carry something in etc. I am glad she has never come back preg...... but would be willing to deal with it.

I think there are some that need to think more about giving advice instead of putting them down...........

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have to agree with you there.

Whilst I did not want to come on here being a newbie saying what I said, I felt I had to say something as I felt uncoftable reading some of the responses.

I hope he reads this and lets us know what is happening to Bella, I for one am willing to advice him and not judge him.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no it doesn't mke you a bad person, but she would love not to go in to heat again it is miserable on a female cat... Best thing is just to fix her. It would save you a lot of trouble..

Status
Not open for further replies.