Culinary artists, help!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We picked up a gorgeous marinated (onion and garlic) pork loin, the whole thing, about 30 inches long, 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick.

I plan on grilling it.

I have a ton of russet potatoes sitting here, but I'm drawing a blank as to how I should prepare them to compliment this pork loin.
I don't do baked potatoes and I don't want to have to wake Jeremy to mash them for me, so, throw your ideas at me

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

...I have a ton of russet potatoes sitting here, but I'm drawing a blank as to how I should prepare them to compliment this pork loin.
I don't do baked potatoes and I don't want to have to wake Jeremy to mash them for me, so, throw your ideas at me
You could slice them, brush with olive oil, maybe a little fresh dill, and grill. (You could add butternut squash, broccoli, sweet potatoes, little tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, etc. also brushed with olive oil and grilled.)

I have a great century-old recipe for Texas potato salad; let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hold to no formalities here we squat in front of the tube for meals as the cats own the only table

It's just the two of us, I make big meals so that Jeremy has good lunches to take to work.

I don't mind work, I have all day to prepare dinner

As for the potato salad recipe, I may not use it immediately, but I'd love to have it, seeing as I've got all these potatoes.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to grill the potatoes:

Peel them and cut them into 1" chunks. Slice a medium sized onion and chop some peppers. Make a "bowl" out of heavy duty foil and place all of the above into the bowl. Top with a bit of olive oil, butter, seasonings (I like garlic, an herb like marjoram or oregano), top with some grated cheese and close the top of the bowl. This might leak so I like to drop this into a foil pan and punch some holes in the foil to let the smokey smell into it. Then just drop it on your grill for about 30 minutes or so.

If you are using really firm potatoes, you can speed up the process by microwaving them for a few minutes before you drop them in the foil.

Microwave recipe for Lyonnaise:

Peel and slice about 4 medium potatoes
Slice 1 medium onion
2 tblsp butter
1/4 tsp marjoram
healthy dash garlic
1/4 cup chicken boullion
Salt and pepper to taste

Place 2 tblsp butter in a 2 quart microwave dish. Nuke until butter is melted. Add onions, cover and nuke for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and nuke for 3 minutes, stir, replace lid and nuke for another 3 minutes. If you are using more potatoes than the recipe, you might need to nuke for another 3 minutes. Potatoes will be fork tender. Let it stand 5 minutes before serving.

And if you make this one, sing along: These potatoes are not fried, their lyonnaised.....(from the Eagle's song, you can't hide your lying eyes)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
That definitely sounds as though it will go wonderfully with the pork loin.
I'll let you know what my food critic thinks (I love prettty much all food so am not hard to please).

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about roasting? Russets are excellent that way.

Pre-heat oven to 375-400.
Rinse, chop, throw potatoes into a ziplock with some extra virgin olive oil. Dump out onto a foil lined cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic (fresh is great, but the chopped dehydrated kind work real well with roasted veggies).
Roast for 20 minutes or so...

You could add carrots to the mix too if you want to add a veggie.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually doing lemon ginger glazed baby carrots with it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother made some roasted potatoes last Saturday that were delicious.

He used a package of Lipton onion soup mix and some olive oil. He cut up the potatoes into chunks and tossed the potatoes around in the mix and olive oil and then baked them at 350 degrees until done and a little browned. Really yummy.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have a recipe ( I never do!)
I basically boil my baby carrots in a weak salt water just until the crunchiness is gone. Then drain and thoroughly wash the carrots.

I melt butter, maragine works too, in a skillet on med-low, just enough to coat the carrots.
I add sugar to taste (I prefer raw sugar), doesn't take much, lemon juice and ground fresh ginger to taste.
I let the carrots and sauce mixture carmalize, by then the carrots are usually tender.
Very unhealthy, but I don't do them very often.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, Hilda>^..^< is drooling in front of the monitor...gotta go eat something y'all!

Those grilled veggies sound wonderful! We'll definitely try that next time the hubby BBQ's...

SwampWitch...a century old Texas potato salad recipe? Wow! Sounds awesome!

Hilda>^..^<

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't make the same mistake I did by calliing it "100 year-old potato salad" when serving it to guests.

4th of July Potato Salad (from 1885)
from Weesatche, Texas

10 pounds brown russet potatoes, boiled slowly with skins on
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup dill pickle relish
1 cup pimiento
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon pepper

Or, for family-size proportions:

2.5 pounds brown russet potatoes, boiled slowly with skins on
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
1/4 cup pimiento
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon pepper, to taste

Peel potatoes while hot, then slice. While still warm, add dill pickle relish with juice. Let soak and cool. Mix mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Add pimiento. Mix into potatoes and refrigerate.

Boiling the potato with the skin on adds more flavor. Potato salad can last up to two weeks in the refrigerator. Iced, it travels well for picnics. NOTE: the original uses Kraft salad dressing instead of mayo; I can't justifiy that because salad dressing is loaded with sugar.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a recipe I will use often, I love potato salad.
Thank you

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This one is totally decedent and very good if you don't like the mayonaise based salads:

German Potato Salad

10 lb. red potatoes
1-1/2 lb. bacon
1 whole onion
1-1/2 cup flour
¾-1 cup apple cider vinegar
water
2-3 tbls dry mustard
½ cup sugar
salt & pepper

Boil potatoes in jackets until fork tender. Drain and cool slightly. Fry bacon in large pan. Remove bacon, add onion to fat and cook until limp. Add flour and cook till bubbly. Add vinegar, sugar and mustard; cook until thickened, adding water until right consistency (thick sauce). Cook 10-15 minutes longer until flour taste is gone. Add salt & pepper to taste. Peel and slice potatoes in large bowl. Add sauce and stir thoroughly. Add crumbled bacon.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that one sounds good too

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And another. I call this one simply "Bob's Potatoes", as my friend Bob made them for us and didn't have a name for them:

3 lbs. potatoes, cleaned and peeled
1 med. onion, sliced
½ green pepper, chopped
Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
½ stick butter

Randomly cut long strips sliced down the length of the potato (kind of like French fries but smaller and not so neatly cut). Melt butter in large fry pan. Add potatoes, sliced onion, green pepper and seasoning. Fry over medium heat until potatoes are cooked and nicely browned (about 20 minutes). Serve.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That one sounds good too, but anything with Tony Chachere's is good in my book

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I don't really have a recipe ( I never do!)
I basically boil my baby carrots in a weak salt water just until the crunchiness is gone. Then drain and thoroughly wash the carrots.

I melt butter, maragine works too, in a skillet on med-low, just enough to coat the carrots.
I add sugar to taste (I prefer raw sugar), doesn't take much, lemon juice and ground fresh ginger to taste.
I let the carrots and sauce mixture carmalize, by then the carrots are usually tender.
Very unhealthy, but I don't do them very often.
Sounds awesome! ("Recipe" going to print as we speak)