Royal Canin??

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of Royal Canin before

The vet I took Heidi to recommended this brand to me and I just wondered if anyone else used it or has any comments on it.

Thanks in advance

Angela

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Angela!

All my cats are on Royal Canin in one form or another...from Baby Cat to Exigent! Love the stuff!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We feed it to our cats. They really like it and seem to be doing very well on it.
I'm not a nutritional expert or anything, but from what I understand it is a good, quality food.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic is on Royal Canin kitten and is doing well on it, putting on weight and growing fast, plenty of energy, stools good. I am considering whether to switch Radar onto it as his dry, but he's doing fine on the James Wellbeloved which is also a great dry but a lot cheaper

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've fed Royal Canin in the past and have always heard it's a good food. Bailey who was just diagnosed with IBD is on a 4-week trial of Royal Canin (Waltham) rabbit and green pea canned food, and he's doing well. He really seems to like it too.

Royal Canin bought out IVD and Waltham in the not too distant past, and those are both great foods with lots of prescription diets.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RC is a true premium .... I love some of there formulas and some I just go why

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed all 5 of my cats Royal Canin Special 33 and they all do well on it and they all seem to really like it.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just received delivery of a large bag of Royal Canin Kitten. The breeder recommends it, and I've done quite a bit of reading online and it seems to be one of the best. I'm sure there are plenty of other good brands around, but I've not heard anything other than good things about Royal Canin.

I'm not sure that I entirely believe in the special benefits of the Breed varieties (for Persions, Siamese and Maine Coons) though surely not strictly necessary?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Royal Canin. It's a decent food but my cats did much better on Nutro dry. Now they get Nutro dry and Evo canned pate and their coats are fuller, they shed less and their weights are healthy and balanced out. That doesn't mean Royal Canin isn't as good... it's just that individual cats do better on different diets/foods.

I do have to say that the kibble of the Persian variety, is much easier for a flat faced Persian to pick up and eat. Luckily, the Nutro dry I now buy, has a similar shaped kibble.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using it for years and all my cats love it. One of mine, Ellie, who has been losing weight for no apparent reason, has been put on RC convalescent diet by the vet, and is now gradually gaining weight.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My flame point Siamese was prone to UTIs but he never had another bout of it once I put him on RCanin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the replys.

i bought a small packet of RC kitten today gave her some and she scoffed it all so i might just keep her on it from now on

thanks again
angela

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bruce&Sheila

I've just received delivery of a large bag of Royal Canin Kitten. The breeder recommends it, and I've done quite a bit of reading online and it seems to be one of the best. I'm sure there are plenty of other good brands around, but I've not heard anything other than good things about Royal Canin.

I'm not sure that I entirely believe in the special benefits of the Breed varieties (for Persions, Siamese and Maine Coons) though surely not strictly necessary?
My kitty has the shape and size of a Maine Coone and has been on the Maine Coone and Special 33 formula for all of his 3 1/2 years. When I tried to wean him off of Royal Canin to something else, it was difficult to do for various reasons, one salient reason being the size and shape of the kibble. Giving Tyler the Cap'n-crunch-sized round kibble (Maine Coone formula) prevents him from just swallowing his food whole = undigested food vomit.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of mine are eating Royal Canin Indoor formula as well as alternating between the 3 breed specific varieties for a change, especially the Persian (for LJ - who has a small doll face Persian muzzle). They love it.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I have fed the prescription for my UTI kitty, but the ingredients in the regular are pretty poor, IMO.
You mean the Royal Canin urinary SO? The ingredients are terrible.. but my cats have UTI issues so they need to be on it.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed the RC sensitive skin formula. They love it and it's a good compromise between the brands I'd like them to eat (Felidae) and the junky ones they like (Purina Pro Plan). They're just really picky about the dry... I tried mixing the Felidae with the old food to change it gradually and they still seemed to pick around it! RC agrees with all of us.

rolling thunder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really looks like a good food, I would just have trouble picking which formula to use. Let us know how it works.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

You mean the Royal Canin urinary SO? The ingredients are terrible.. but my cats have UTI issues so they need to be on it.
yes, the SO and also the control formula. I hate the ingredients, but it has to be done. I just wish, that with all the prescription diets out there, one would be made with decent ingredients. I pay less for the Merrick's and the Ca. Natural I buy for the other cats!!